Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

First Flyaway

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Fritz, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Fritz

On Saturday I brought my Phantom to my friend’s island to video a party. I did my pre-flight including compass cal, had 8 sat, good home lock, and took off. Went up about 300 feet to get a good look at the island to see what the best shots would be without recording yet. Fly around a bit and all of a sudden, lose contact, and says returning to home. But it doesn’t, instead flies about a half mile to the other side of the lake, hits a house, and crashes upside down on the roof. All the time I’m watching and have no control. Fortunately, Find My Drone worked and pin pointed the location.

Got a boat ride to shore and with the help of a friend’s car went to the location. Started going to houses. FMD location only off by one house. Rang their door bell and fortunately no one was home. Walked around their property a saw the Phantom on their roof. Managed to move some deck furniture and climbed on the roof the retrieve my bird. No damage!

Back at the island I re-calibrated and had 6 uneventful flights. I did stay very close to the island but was over water most of the time.

CRASH SITE https://www.flickr.com/photos/126430437@N06/14548415137/

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0WFWfN4odA[/youtube]

2. Mori55

Friends island ! Nice , wish I had friends that had islands :)

3. Dirty Bird

Surprised that roof didn't collapse! More bikini shots next time please! :cool:

4. andersonpaac

You can ask your phantom to come back home using the ground station built in. Even if the home point is not remembered you can do a point to point mission

5. JWarren

If someone threw something at my Phantom like that I would have landed and kicked their ***.

6. Catalina36

There is no video. Says it has been removed. :cry:

7. Onezerosix141

Where did it go?

8. Fritz

The girlfriend of the guy who had the party got pretty drunk and was pulling down guys bathing suits, which of course the Phantom captured very well. When she saw the video she had a little meltdown, and to stop the drama, her boyfriend asked me to remove the video. So that’s why there’s no video. It was an epic party!

9. fastsmiles

Flyaways are scary. Have you had any trouble with it since? Have you tried RTH since the flyaway?