First flight

Islandboy,

I'm seeing problems with your video. The biggest glitch is at 1:19 (the green band), but there are other, smaller glitches at :25, 1:52, and 3:14.

Are these on the RAW source video, before editing? Because if so, they are not normal. Video taken from the DJI camera directly to the SD card should have no such artifacts.

Or did those artifacts come later, during editing with software on a computer?

Just to check: these are from videos recorded to your SD card, yes? They are not screen captures of the video feed on your FPV device (phone or tablet connected to your remote), correct?

Now that I have called out time locations, could someone else check them out?

Chris

Islandboy,

I'm seeing problems with your video. The biggest glitch is at 1:19 (the green band), but there are other, smaller glitches at :25, 1:52, and 3:14.

Are these on the RAW source video, before editing? Because if so, they are not normal. Video taken from the DJI camera directly to the SD card should have no such artifacts.

Just to check: these are from videos recorded to your SD card, yes? They are not screen captures of the video feed on your FPV device (phone or tablet connected to your remote), correct?

Chris
I think its on Raw ill have to check when i get home i ordered a editing software and i read somewhere that if i will edit to leave it on raw.. But the was straight from the DJI app. Please give me any input or advise when it comes to the camera im still new and learning. Thanks for pointing it out btw.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Islandboy,

Chris
Also, let us know the exact brand/model/speed of your SD card.

If you are flying a brand new Phantom and have the appropriate SD card and are getting these artifacts, I would return the Phantom for a new one. I wouldn't even contact DJI support, because you may have a factory defect out of the box.

Chris

Islandboy,

Chris

I just went back to video and i realized the glitches any clue as to what may cause it. I did second video and i had no glitches that one i posted on youtube.

I just received my P3A, I am still reading as much as I can.
The first thing I did was to fully charge the remote controller and the battery that came with the bird. I ordered an spare battery but I am going to charge it just yet until i see the need for me to use it.
I am a little nervous about my first flight... my fear is of crashing the bird.

If you read the manuals, watched videos and obviously checked out the forums, there isn't too much to worry about to start. Begginer mode will keep you close in, so find an open space with little to hit, and see what happens. I used simulator mode for a few minutes to confirm sticks worked like I thought they would. I then spend some time connected to the bird going through all the settings to make sure everything was what I would expect them to be and to see where everything was if I needed to change something in flight.

Then, on the first "flight" (actually battery since I took off and landed a few times) I stayed within beginner mode, practiced the controls, practiced using visuals to move the bird, practiced using the screen (particularly the directional arrow at the bottom) to navigate a little, and practiced a few take offs and landing. I used the auto land and auto take-off one time to see how they worked, but primarily worked on my stick skills. Second flight I turned off beginner mode, but stayed relatively close by to try more maneuvers and to practice using RTH and then taking manual control after RTH, again, just to see how things reacted. I have very little experience with these things (prior to this flew my kids cheap, small quad with no GPS or compass or anything a few times) but the thing truly is easy to do basic flying with. My biggest struggle is when I'm fairly far away or high up, and I look down at the screen, I often can't pick the copter back up visually. Not a problem with this one, since you can fly it pretty easily without, but I need to work on my spotting. Go out, have fun, be a little cautious, and it will be great.

I think its on Raw ill have to check when i get home i ordered a editing software and i read somewhere that if i will edit to leave it on raw.. But the was straight from the DJI app. Please give me any input or advise when it comes to the camera im still new and learning. Thanks for pointing it out btw.

In my post, when I say RAW, I just mean unedited as in the source. Your video on the SD card is either an MP4 or a MOV file. Either one of them unedited is a RAW source file.

Even after you load it into editing software on your computer, one typically saves edits to a new edited file, but does not save over the original RAW file.

So if you still have the raw files as shot and they have those artifacts, you have the problem.

NOT TO WORRY though, because if so, you found them quickly, within a return period.

Chris

I just went back to video and i realized the glitches any clue as to what may cause it. I did second video and i had no glitches that one i posted on youtube.

Yes, this second video appears glitch-free.

Was this video done in the morning? I ask because temperature could be a factor. If the video in the first post is done later in the day when the temperature is much higher, that could be a reason. You could try another video later in the day after it heats up more.

I had a bird last year that got permanent color banding in the video after the camera over-heated. If this is happening to a brand new unit, it could have been subjected to heat before you even got it.

Chris

Yes, this second video appears glitch-free.

Was this video done in the morning? I ask because temperature could be a factor. If the video in the first post is done later in the day when the temperature is much higher, that could be a reason. You could try another video later in the day after it heats up more.

I had a bird last year that got permanent color banding in the video after the camera over-heated. If this is happening to a brand new unit, it could have been subjected to heat before you even got it.

Chris

Actually both videos were done about the same time usually between 3-5 pm. On the second video i put all the settings back to normal. i did take out the sd card and uploaded the footage to my computer and worked on it from there using windows movie maker. The first video however i messed with the settings and i sent the video straight from my tablet. Didnt do any type of editing like the first video only stitched them together straight from the app.

Just FYI (and several of you already know this, so feel free to slap me around if miss a step): to clarify my use of the term 'raw', which as I said I only meant the unedited source video files as captured on the SD card.

Other usage of the term 'raw' can mean the still photo shots. In the Phantom, you can shoot photos in JPEG or DNG formats, or both. The DNG format is a RAW photo format. It's a long subject, but basically, the two formats can be described like this:
  • RAW: all of the RGB bits plus all of the camera settings stored in the file, not really processed yet (the main image isn't created yet). Load it into a computer to process to an image, but you get the chance to edit the change the camera settings parts (and more) first, before creating the image with the RGB bits.

• JPG: the image is created right away in-camera using the RGB bits plus all of the camera settings, then compressed. You can edit this file further later on, but the original image has already been created and is more difficult to change later to compensate for camera settings that the image was created with. Plus, compression loses some of the original bits. Additional editing cause even more bits to be lost.

This just means that with JPG, if the camera settings were okay then the image out of the camera will be just fine, but with less editing options later.
Chris

Just FYI (and several of you already know this, so feel free to slap me around if miss a step): to clarify my use of the term 'raw', which as I said I only meant the unedited source video files as captured on the SD card.

Other usage of the term 'raw' can mean the still photo shots. In the Phantom, you can shoot photos in JPEG or DNG formats, or both. The DNG format is a RAW photo format. It's a long subject, but basically, the two formats can be described like this:
  • RAW: all of the RGB bits plus all of the camera settings stored in the file, not really processed yet (the main image isn't created yet). Load it into a computer to process to an image, but you get the chance to edit the change the camera settings parts (and more) first, before creating the image with the RGB bits.

• JPG: the image is created right away in-camera using the RGB bits plus all of the camera settings, then compressed. You can edit this file further later on, but the original image has already been created and is more difficult to change later to compensate for camera settings that the image was created with. Plus, compression loses some of the original bits. Additional editing cause even more bits to be lost.

This just means that with JPG, if the camera settings were okay then the image out of the camera will be just fine, but with less editing options later.
Chris

Thanks for that. Im fairly new to the whole photography thing which speaking of im ordering my first cannon this week. But like i said I appreciate any help tips ect..

In my post, when I say RAW, I just mean unedited as in the source. Your video on the SD card is either an MP4 or a MOV file. Either one of them unedited is a RAW source file.

Even after you load it into editing software on your computer, one typically saves edits to a new edited file, but does not save over the original RAW file.

So if you still have the raw files as shot and they have those artifacts, you have the problem.

NOT TO WORRY though, because if so, you found them quickly, within a return period.

Chris

When i get home i will see what sd card is in the bird. I got it with the phantom.

The first video however i messed with the settings and i sent the video straight from my tablet.

Okay, that explains it. It is not actually video created by the camera as sent to the SD card. What you captured from the tablet is the relatively low-quality (what is it guys, 720p?) and full-of-glitches video-feed that is sent to the remote and tablet.

So you probably do NOT have a problem. I would just hesitate to publish video captured on your tablet, since the video to your SD card is going to be much higher quality .

You'll probably find that the same footage, but stored on SD, looks better and is glitch-free.

Chris

Okay, that explains it. It is not actually video created by the camera as sent to the SD card. What you captured from the tablet is the relatively low-quality (what is it guys, 720p?) and full-of-glitches video-feed that is sent to the remote and tablet.

So you probably do NOT have a problem. I would just hesitate to publish video captured on your tablet, since the video to your SD card is going to be much higher quality .

You'll probably find that the same footage, but stored on SD, looks better and is glitch-free.

Chris

Lol my bad. I will not use the app for anything other than flying the bird. I saw for myself that the 2 videos i did looked completely different. Again thanks for the help bro.

They look like a youtube/facebook "live" posts so its using the tablet screen feed to upload rather than downloading from the disk. to me :) that's why you see the feed artifacts

A bit of topic, but on the comment that it flys itself, this true until it doesn't. I would recommend reading post on flying in ATTI mode. This is the mode that will save you when the poo hits the fan. If you plan ahead and learn to fly without the aid of GPS you will feel more confident. Most people fly for the pictures and video, but it's also good to spend some time on improving your pilot skills.
Given time and practice, you will be able to take control, return to home and land or hand catch while dealing with the wind. Lastly, always carry a clean pair of skivvies [emoji16] for your first few times. [emoji6]

Be safe and have fun,
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

A bit of topic, but on the comment that it flys itself, this true until it doesn't. I would recommend reading post on flying in ATTI mode. This is the mode that will save you when the poo hits the fan. If you plan ahead and learn to fly without the aid of GPS you will feel more confident. Most people fly for the pictures and video, but it's also good to spend some time on improving your pilot skills.
Given time and practice, you will be able to take control, return to home and land or hand catch while dealing with the wind. Lastly, always carry a clean pair of skivvies [emoji16] for your first few times. [emoji6]

Be safe and have fun,
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Haha yea i wanna perfect my flying to the point where i can fly in Atti but ill take baby steps first. Like they say "walk before you run" lol

Congratulations on your first flight!
As you are a new pilot best advice I can give
HAND CATCH!
Oh and stay away from trees!!!
Why would anyone hand catch? no way am I going to do it. I cant see the reason. I just land.

I just received my P3A, I am still reading as much as I can.
The first thing I did was to fully charge the remote controller and the battery that came with the bird. I ordered an spare battery but I am going to charge it just yet until i see the need for me to use it.
I am a little nervous about my first flight... my fear is of crashing the bird.
And I would say you will crash it. Doesn't everybody? Thousand are sold over Xmas and you never see them. They are all in the back shed broken up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub