First Flight

Reaction score
I am so scared to do my first flight with a P2 with IOSD,GoPro 4,Zenmuse 3D Gimbal and a lot of money & hardache to lose it or crash it!!So I want to make sure I have RTH down packed and learn the controls so it doesn't go up,up & away!!!What should I do for safety and preflight checks,please help this chicken first timer!![emoji23][emoji574]️[emoji869][emoji541]I have monitor & fatshark googles for first flight should I fly sight only?

Make sure you read the instruction manual twice and then watch some youtube videos. Then try to fly the P2 withouth the gimbal and gopro and see how it goes :)

After a few flights you should be ready to carry them around. The added weight will count a bit but not a lot.

BTW did you every fly a quadcopter before ? if not then you should definitely strip down the gopro and gimbal.

Best TIP if you panic would be: Leave the controls alone, think then act. Make sure RTH is set and if you get carried away use Failsafe (if you use NAZA will be the toggled by a switch) if you are in Phantom mode then turn off RC so it fly back. But to cover it all in a post would be complicated thats why I've recommended watching videos on youtube and reading the manual.

Best TIP if you panic would be: Leave the controls alone, think then act. Make sure RTH is set and if you get carried away use Failsafe (if you use NAZA will be the toggled by a switch) if you are in Phantom mode then turn off RC so it fly back. But to cover it all in a post would be complicated thats why I've recommended watching videos on youtube and reading the manual.

The advice in red is incorrect.

I am so scared to do my first flight with a P2 with IOSD,GoPro 4,Zenmuse 3D Gimbal and a lot of money & hardache to lose it or crash it!!So I want to make sure I have RTH down packed and learn the controls so it doesn't go up,up & away!!!What should I do for safety and preflight checks,please help this chicken first timer!![emoji23][emoji574]️[emoji869][emoji541]I have monitor & fatshark googles for first flight should I fly sight only?

If you have set the U slider (S1) as in the attach photo whether or not you are in Phantom or Naza-M modes there is no need to turnoff the RC controller that's what the third position of S1 is for. While in Phantom Mode during failsafe you can take back control of the P2 at any time by switching S1 to either the center or top positions. A word of caution even though the switch is marked GPS, ATTI and ATTI there is no ATTI when in Phantom mode. In the Naza_M mode S1 has GPS, ATTI and Failsafe and there is also IOC which activates switch S2.

Phantom Mode
Phantom Mode.jpg

Naza-M Mode
Part 1 Naza-M.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bernek
OK Thanks Failsafe & RTH for me is a must but what I want to know is can I keep it down to 100ft first flight or is the Drone gonna go straight up to 1,000ft or whatever on its own,I flew lil toys but they had no control at all that's why I'm scared,so first flights do it SOF,no monitor or googles,Thanks Guys

OK Thanks Failsafe & RTH for me is a must but what I want to know is can I keep it down to 100ft first flight or is the Drone gonna go straight up to 1,000ft or whatever on its own,I flew lil toys but they had no control at all that's why I'm scared,so first flights do it SOF,no monitor or googles,Thanks Guys

Did you read the user manual and watched a few videos/tutorials ? They will certainly help. You questions will all be answered there ! If everything is normal the Phantom will hover very close to ground and wait for your inputs. I really think you should ask a friend that has experience regarding bigger flying machines and come help you out :) It could be for the best to see someone fly and to look at their inputs on the remote control and then you can take over :)

There is an altitude limit built into the software that will not let the P2 go beyond 400 ft. Also is the P2 software you set the altitude for the failsafe to what ever you like up to 400' but 118' should be plenty to clear a mature forest. Failsafe works like this when S1 is switched to the third the P2 will turn and face the home point as it ascends quickly to the limit you set. It will hover for a few seconds then start its flight to the home point. Once over the home point it will hover again for a few seconds then descend and once on the ground it will shut down. While it is returning to the home point and you have it in view you can take control of it by switching S1 to either the center or top position.

A word of caution when switching to failsafe just make sure it isn't under something and if it is you are not going to be a happy camper..This same caution should include the critical battery RTH because it reacts the same way as failsafe.

You'll notice that I have left that box unchecked as RTH/Failsafe are one in the same. One I can control but the other there's no warning when it will happen nor if you're under something when it's triggered.
Battery #7.jpg

If you have failsafe setup in the software I suggest you try if out in an empty field from a distance of around 100' away to see how it works and go from there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub