First flight

Reaction score
Hi guys
Been reading forum for weeks. Looking at YouTube videos and read instruction manuals.
Going to take my standard for its first flight so any hot tips welcome!!
I've set it all up, upgraded firmware, practiced with simulator.
Any last minute tips for the controller. I'll be in pmode. Probably won't stray too far. In an open paddock!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Calibrate the compass before you fly, set RTH height higher than anything around you so if you fly behind a big tree and lose signal it will climb high enough on its way back to you. It defaults to 100ft but that wouldn't help you with some bigger trees

cool. was all part of the first flight check list! feeling nervous for the bird!

It's normal. I trained on a little palm sized quad before that didn't go more than 75 feet away. When I got my bird out to 500 it felt like it was on another continent. Since then 1500-2500 feet feels normal now. That's the main reason I returned my parrot bebop while I could. Too many horror stories about fly always and disconnects. Seams the phantoms are extremely reliable. As long as you don't crash into the ground, crash into a tree/cliff or fly behind something that is higher that your set RTH altitude there is very small chance you will lose your bird.

All went smoothly today. Now planing my second flight. Perhaps another battery and the range extended!
75438dc41c30a1bdccff3184da675a3a.jpg

Reactions: Tony Cowan and Grae
Cool, glad you enjoyed your first flight.
My P3 should be here by the weekend but I don't plan to fly it for a couple of weeks as I want to read the manual a few times as I'm worried about the toggle switch and what to do if RTH fails. I have rc flying experience but this is so much money to loose if it goes belly up.

Cool, glad you enjoyed your first flight.
My P3 should be here by the weekend but I don't plan to fly it for a couple of weeks as I want to read the manual a few times as I'm worried about the toggle switch and what to do if RTH fails. I have rc flying experience but this is so much money to loose if it goes belly up.

The manuals it comes with are woeful. Start reading everything g you can now online and you'll feel like you know it all when you start it up!

Reactions: RayH and Grae
Rth works. No need to over think it. Even if you lose signal it will come back home. Just calibrate it every time. I know some say don't do it. But what does 30 secs take to insure all is well. I'm now solely using fpv. As over water I can't see it any way. And I trust completely my rth.

Reactions: RayH
The manuals it comes with are woeful. Start reading everything g you can now online and you'll feel like you know it all when you start it up!

Thanks for the heads up, I have watched every video on YouTube at least twice haha!!
I think I'm more nervous of engine failure and it dropping out of the sky [emoji16]

Thanks for the heads up, I have watched every video on YouTube at least twice haha!!
I think I'm more nervous of engine failure and it dropping out of the sky [emoji16]

Just remember there may be a time you loose signal and it doesn't come back. If it's been more than 3 seconds you can always toggle the S2 switch if you think it didn't kick on when it was suppose to. Only happened to me once. You should use the built in simulator in the go app, it's actually pretty good.

Just remember there may be a time you loose signal and it doesn't come back. If it's been more than 3 seconds you can always toggle the S2 switch if you think it didn't kick on when it was suppose to. Only happened to me once. You should use the built in simulator in the go app, it's actually pretty good.

Thanks for your reply, I do feel sick thinking about it not coming back though [emoji848]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl