First Flight...

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 13.34.14.png 12230834_1697961020450298_1974903703_n.jpg

Weather has been rubbish in the UK recently but managed to get my first ever Phantom flight in today with my P3P. Non eventful flight (apart from the fact that my heart was in my mouth all the time), stopped flying at 45% battery just to be safe first time round.

Managed an auto take off and land as well as a manual takeoff and land... no tip overs which was a bonus.

Attached a screenshot from the video.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on this great forum for all the help and advice prior to me getting up in the air.

Congrats! Welcome to the party!

I see you're from the south west? I'm running a little group for pilots in the south west of the UK on Facebook if you fancy a look? Just trying to provide a place for local pilots to talk/meet/sell to each other.

Hope to see you there!

Reactions: cocoamedia
View attachment 36356 View attachment 36357

Weather has been rubbish in the UK recently but managed to get my first ever Phantom flight in today with my P3P. Non eventful flight (apart from the fact that my heart was in my mouth all the time), stopped flying at 45% battery just to be safe first time round.

Managed an auto take off and land as well as a manual takeoff and land... no tip overs which was a bonus.

Attached a screenshot from the video.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on this great forum for all the help and advice prior to me getting up in the air.

Congrats! Welcome to the party!

I see you're from the south west? I'm running a little group for pilots in the south west of the UK on Facebook if you fancy a look? Just trying to provide a place for local pilots to talk/meet/sell to each other.

Hope to see you there!
Joined, thanks Joe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined, thanks Joe :)

No problem! Were currently trying (failing) to organise a meet in the not too distant future, hope to see you there if it goes ahead!

Good on ya Mate! I purchased my one & only ~3 weeks ago and still frankly overwhelmed with all the information. For the amount of $ I spent on this thing my first flight was terrifying however I am going VERY slow with this and learn a lot with each flight. I'm just now getting familiar with how the camera works! So far It's been a lot of fun. By the way there are NO stupid questions - only the ones not asked!! Congratulations and Happy & Safe Flying!

Also -- Read, read, read, and read again - There's no WAY you will get it all the first time through!

Also for ur battery u might want to do this flight pattern again n again 10 times ( fly 50% then fully charge then aftr 10th time do a discharge (( down to 8% and fully charge it. Called breaking in the batt for longer battery lifespan

Congrats.

Always remember setting a home point to a safe location is very important as well setting height for RTH.

Always fly at a safe height above all obstructions nearby.

Avoid flying in a windy conditions unless you have good control over your bird. Flying over a hill is tempting but risky as one might face gushing winds.

Welcome to the dark side. Resistance is futile. You will assimilate. All your base are belong to us. There is no turning back, nowhere to hide. <insert wicked, evil laugh here>

Well done on a safe flight. I know I keep on about it but PLEASE learn to hand catch. With the weather we get in the UK wind gusts are very common.
I managed a nice flight today as well. Sunny and winds about 15mph - flipping freezing though lol.

Highly agree with Wibble.

Yesterday took my P3P out (first proper flight of this P3P out of the box, was very windy and was acting very very strange, hand catched, took it home and did a cold IMU calibration as I did not to that, however I did do a compass calibration before flight.

Today winds calmed down so might take it out for a night flight later.

Be careful of wind and learn to hand catch as I find it a lot safer (safer in the sense of not tipping the P3 over)

Highly agree with Wibble.

Yesterday took my P3P out (first proper flight of this P3P out of the box, was very windy and was acting very very strange, hand catched, took it home and did a cold IMU calibration as I did not to that, however I did do a compass calibration before flight.

Today winds calmed down so might take it out for a night flight later.

Be careful of wind and learn to hand catch as I find it a lot safer (safer in the sense of not tipping the P3 over)
I intend to learn to hand catch, didn't have the bottle today as I fly more I'll relax and feel more confident ;)

Also for ur battery u might want to do this flight pattern again n again 10 times ( fly 50% then fully charge then aftr 10th time do a discharge (( down to 8% and fully charge it. Called breaking in the batt for longer battery lifespan
Actually do the soft break in 10 times, flying to 50% and do a deep cycle down to 8% after every 20 full charges.

RedHotPoker

Actually do the soft break in 10 times, flying to 50% and do a deep cycle down to 8% after every 20 full charges.

RedHotPoker

What is the best way to do the deep cycle?
I did it by flying until about 14% then messing around on the ground but there must be a better way than running the motors for too long?

I intend to learn to hand catch, didn't have the bottle today as I fly more I'll relax and feel more confident ;)

I don't blame you first few flights are scary!
Reach up and grab is a better term. Use a helper for the first few times. As soon as they have grabbed hold of the P3 skid left stick down until motors stop. Then get them to turn off the P3 - motors could start up again!

What is the best way to do the deep cycle?
I did it by flying until about 14% then messing around on the ground but there must be a better way than running the motors for too long?

Fly down to 20%, land, remove the props and run the Phantom motors, draining down to 8%. Shut off, remove battery, let the battery cool down to room temp. Charge back to 100%,

RedHotPoker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers