Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

First Flight!

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by snerd, May 30, 2015.

1. snerd

New flyer, first flight! I took my P3P up to the ball fields this afternoon. Not a soul around. I managed to do everything right and lifted off with no problems. Went up to 50ft, back down to 10ft, a couple of spins and side to sides. I repeated this for maybe 10 minutes, then landed oh so softly on the asphalt! That was enough for my first attempt!! One word............... exhilarating!!! It was as much fun as my first few weeks with my cameras! Probably MORE! Yeah, I'm hooked! And I can say that I gleaned SO much information from these forums before ever receiving it! Thanks to all of you for sharing your pointers, tips and data!

Flyboy, Advexure, Apparition and 3 others like this.
  2. Adam Kontras

Well here's something we can agree on! It's an absolutely exhilarating ride! :D

snerd likes this.
  3. JoshWMS

I'm just like you! Here I am waiting for my first drone to ship and just browsing everything there is to know about it.

snerd likes this.
  4. snerd

And I'll jump at the chance to agree with you on something too! Thanks! We've had flooding down here, lots of places are not accessible, and the skeeters darn near ate me alive........... but I got my first flight in in spite of it all! Actually forgot all of the bad news for about 15 minutes!

5. nhoover

That's great - congratulations! I did my first P3 flight the other day - very fun. I've flown with P2s a lot and it isn't all that different. Did you get any video? Here's some from my first flight: - I should've been shooting in 4k - it is quite a bit better. But even 1080 looks good compared to the P2V+.

countrack and JoshWMS like this.
  6. Cyclone

Im just waiting on a Nvidia Shield to turn up then Ill be making my maiden.

One thing I like, and ive only been playing with the app, is if you slide you finger up/down the screen the camera will follow.

7. Chris P Duck

Where are you getting the data for the data overlay? It looks like you've used Dashware and I used to use this to overlay the data from a flytrex core2 on my Hex. Have you added some sort of data logger or can you pull the data from the internal SD for this? If so are there any guides anywhere?

Michael Olsen likes this.
  8. Michael Olsen

Bump on the overlay question.

9. snerd

Yeah, on the camera moving up and down using the app..................... I'll be using that a LOT, as the gimbal wheel on my remote control is not working very well. The up is okay, but trying to point down there is a jiggle needed to make it work. Then it just hangs, I have to roll it back and forth a little bit to find the right spot. Of course, this all shows on the video........ jerky little segments. Sigh........................ I sure don't want to be without it for 2 months since I just got it! But I'm going to have to send it in for repair eventually.

10. Buckaye

I am surprised how much more power and how much more accurate the P3 is compared to the P2... I just took my first couple of flights yesterday and today

Advexure likes this.
  11. Chris P Duck

Re overlay found another post from nhoover
    Not sure how/if you can access these .txt files on an IOS device though?

12. vegas-k9

On the overlay question. I noticed my p3p records with "subtitles" as my osd. So when playing the file back on a tablet or pc if I turn subtitles on. It pops up with hs, vs and coordinates. Pretty neat feature.

13. Chris P Duck

I assume you mean the file that is recorded on the tablet (the map) rather than a video recorded to the SD on the camera? Any chance you can post a screen shots?

14. Motorotor

Hi Chris

at 5:07 of this video here by DJI
    it's called video captions

15. vegas-k9

No the actual video file on SD has subtitles that display limited flight info. You turn them on and off just as you would language subs on a dvd. Yeah I guess it's the "captions" setting?

16. snerd

Oh! I didn't see the question about video above. No, I did not ever hit the record button. I bought this for my photography hobby, so I really need to learn to fly it first, and get comfortable with it, before I even think about video and stills. I have a Canon 5D3 and a 7D, and I'm hoping to do good things with the stills on this thing, and to also get into video for the first time. But learning to fly it first is my top priority.

17. snerd

2nd flight done! I'm doing the "conditioning" on the battery........... Run it down to 50-60% then recharge, 10 times doing this. What I read, anyway. Also brought along the new power inverter........ working like a champ!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433110205.800555.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433110218.048143.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

18. Advexure

Approved Vendor

Los Angeles, CA - New York, NY - Sheboygan, WI
    Safe and happy flying! Enjoy the exhilaration! :D