First flight with the P3P in 4k

Crap, forgot about my Computer also! It's a 3 year old iMac 27" I7 w/16Gb and the 3.4Ghz Sandy bridge Quad core. Guess I am going to finally going to have to put in that SSD, thanks for the link and the recommendation. Video looks awesome, just curious, that sudden gimbal flip from 90 to 180 and back at about 3:45, was that a test, a glitch, or the result of a editing cut?
That was the button C1 button on the left hand, bottom side of the remote, it flips it up and down, pretty cool

Reactions: dysan911
Why not do the color balance in post rather than use a filter? Isn't it the same thing, except that a filter is another layer of glass to add some noise?

Why not do the color balance in post rather than use a filter? Isn't it the same thing, except that a filter is another layer of glass to add some noise?

Coming from a photography background a circular polarizing filter really helps bring out details in the sky. It can make the sky more blue and clouds more defined instead of all blown out. If your sky is blown out (over-exposed) in the raw video then you have no data left to even color correct. You can't magically bring back the sky if its all blown out.

A circular polarizer filter can also bring out lots of colors on trees during the fall and also cut down reflections in water. Its an awesome tool and I never do landscape photography without one.

Reactions: Jeffin916
Likewise for me, but do you think a circular polarizer will be available?

Coming from a photography background a circular polarizing filter really helps bring out details in the sky. It can make the sky more blue and clouds more defined instead of all blown out. If your sky is blown out (over-exposed) in the raw video then you have no data left to even color correct. You can't magically bring back the sky if its all blown out.

A circular polarizer filter can also bring out lots of colors on trees during the fall and also cut down reflections in water. Its an awesome tool and I never do landscape photography without one.

Doing photography as well, it is pretty crucial and I would love to have a neutral density filter for mine for sure! I want the ND8. I use that on my Canon 5DMKiii on bright days and just is a cleaner, crisper picture! And agreed, never want a blown out sky!

Reactions: cmyk22 and F6Rider
If the P3P had 4k at 60fps
I would've pull the trigger and purchased it instead p3A.
IMHO just seems 4k at 30fps still has glossy effect on vids. Call me crazy JMO

I'm definitely in for the CPL and ND.

As stated before, you're simply bringing down the overall exposure allowing for a slower shutter speed and/or larger aperture once you've hit the bottom of your ISO range. Think of ND's as sunglasses for your lens. ND's go hand in hand why photographers are always talking dynamic range. With the ND, you can expose for the hot sky and use curves for fill. This is where understanding histograms and clipping is a benefit.

Time to review my histogram theory - have it available on my SLR but never used it, or took the time to understand - now's the time, while I wait on delivery...

BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge, XcYZ...

BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge, XcYZ...

No problem. I use histograms, but know that they can be misleading depending on what you're shooting and what result you're looking for. Sometimes you want pure white whites (like a high key for example), and other times you want to retain information in the highlights (like a sky at noon). For video, using a vector scope and RGB parade is extremely important, and that's somewhat similar to a basic histogram - just a different way of showing your range but broken down into specific colors. Now I'm getting way off topic.... lol

Reactions: cmyk22
Thanks for posting trying to make up my mind whether to buy a P3.
Seems to be an issue with the horizon not being level. Took some screenshots and added a straight line.
Were you flying in FPV mode?
Is there a way to slow the tilt programmatically through the app? Its so fast. Or is the only option being real slow on the wheel?
How is the 720p live feed - are you getting a much clearer image on the tablet compared to a p2v+?
Thanks again for posting your initial impressions!

HORIZON.jpg

Reactions: Jeffin916
No problem. I use histograms, but know that they can be misleading depending on what you're shooting and what result you're looking for. Sometimes you want pure white whites (like a high key for example), and other times you want to retain information in the highlights (like a sky at noon). For video, using a vector scope and RGB parade is extremely important, and that's somewhat similar to a basic histogram - just a different way of showing your range but broken down into specific colors. Now I'm getting way off topic.... lol

Not off topic in my book - just let me know when the seminar starts!

I've some digital experience but tons of 35mm and 11/4 film stuff so understand light very well, and the difference between what my brain interprets in a scene, and what a camera captures. The aerial thing and video is certainly new and I'm excited!

Thanks for posting trying to make up my mind whether to buy a P3.
Seems to be an issue with the horizon not being level. Took some screenshots and added a straight line.
Were you flying in FPV mode?
Is there a way to slow the tilt programmatically through the app? Its so fast. Or is the only option being real slow on the wheel?
How is the 720p live feed - are you getting a much clearer image on the tablet compared to a p2v+?
Thanks again for posting your initial impressions!

HORIZON.jpg

So dont pay attention to my camera moving fast, I was using the screen to flick it up and down, I was not using the remote, which is more sensitive and you can go up and down slowly and fast. Havent tested 720 yet. The video on the monito, I use a Note 3 Edge, is flawless, it is crystal clear HD to me. As for FPV mode, I would have to check, I didnt look at that option yet

Time to review my histogram theory - have it available on my SLR but never used it, or took the time to understand - now's the time, while I wait on delivery...

It's hard to determine whether the image is over or under exposed by just looking at the picture on any screen when working with manual exposure and/or white balance. This is where the histogram becomes highly useful.

Well here is the first flight with my P3P. The experience was awesome, I love it in every way, it is so responsive and is it me or is it quieter? Anyways, then there was the rendering part in Adobe Premiere Pro. I had to tweak it out but I got it working, the files are beast with 4k. To render this video, it took 3 hours! No music, no effects, just the video. Mind you that I have a PC with 3.6 processor, 16GB ram and an i7. Now I think it is time to get an SSD. Over all, I am very impressed with it, my only concern is the distance, I know I will want to go further

When you say you want to go further, are you saying you reached the range limit while flying? Did it cut out? If so, how far away were you when it cut out?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik