First Flight with Epson Moverio BT-200s

Reaction score
Howdy...

Just a quick review...

Had my first flight with the Epson Moverio BT-200 glasses today. I must say, I was very impressed...

Here in AZ, phone and tablet screens are VERY hard to read outside, but the Movierios, with their dark shades, were really easy to see, even in the bright sunlight. It was great being able to easily read all the telemetry data, and have a great FPV view, while also being able to keep an eye on the Phantom LOS.

The best part? Because the touchpad works like a laptop touch pad (ie... the touch is 'relative' and not 'absolute'. Swiping moves a mouse around, but you can swipe anywhere.. You don't have to touch top left to move the mouse to top left... Am I making sense?)... I can mount it much closer to the left stick, and operate it without removing my hand from the control. It's MUCH fast er to take a photo or initiate video now, and I don't need to take my hand off the TX to do so.

The only bad part? So far, I can't swipe to get into Ground Station mode. Every time I swipe, it begins to enter GS mode (I see the icons for a quick second) and then it jumps back to the main menu... Can't figure our why... But as I don't use GS that much, I'll live with it until a solution is found...

Anyways... It's expensive, but I think it really will help with my aerial photos and videos...

Best,

Ben

Ben,

Thanks for the post. I have been looking at these as an option. I actually use GS so that would be a bit of a problem for the price. Sure like the fact that you can fly LOS while "ingesting" the telemetry data. Are you happy with the durability and ruggedness of the glasses?

Todd

Hard to say so far... Only had them a week. I wouldn't called them 'rugged' though. Definitely something you want to keep in their protective case when not in use.

Best,

Ben

The Moverio were my 2nd option, Ben.
I ended up with the Zeiss ones. I tried them today and it really freaked me out at first. Not seeing the bird unless I looked over the glasses was totally foreign to my brain. I kept thinking, slow down heart! My mouth was suddenly dry and I actually considered feeling around the ground for my water bottle. I kept going, following a trail about 75 feet high. 500 feet away, I started feeling better and continued out. I really like being able to see so clearly from the FPV! The bright glaring sun was no longer a factor!
Both these systems have their advantages and disadvantages based on android or Mac, but I know we will get better pictures and videos! :D

Enjoy!

I looked at those... but decided on the BT-200 becuase:

1) Cheaper
2) Higher Resolution
3) I liked the fact that I can 'see thru' the glass screens
4) I liked having a built-in android device, rather than needing to use my phone.

...but I can see the advantages of both systems...

Best,

Ben

I think you have 2 choices:

1) They include a snap-in frame that you can get prescription glass put in.

2) You can wear them over your existing glasses...

I wear contacts, so I haven't tried either, but I would guess #1 would be more comfortable.

Best,

Ben

fastsmiles said:
How are they for those of use that wear glasses? :?:
I wear mine with my glasses. I use the rubber ear pieces so things don't slip around. Works fine for me. I figured I would try them this way for a while before going to the trouble of getting lenses for the provided frames.

fastsmiles said:
How are they for those of use that wear glasses? :?:

The Zeiss glasses have individual eye adjustment. That's a big plus for me (and those that need a bit of help). :geek:

I've had the Moverio glasses for over a month, I can say they are well made. I've dropped the glasses a few times on hard surfaces and nothing broke.

I can't make a comparison with other systems, but they are quite a step up from a tablet or phone as far as being able to see detail and in bright sun, of course. I've placed small squares of black tape behind the display area and that gives an even clearer view.

I get a glitch or two in the video once in a while, but I think that is more an Android problem - I've seen the same on my tablet. The IOS version seems to be more graceful in video processing in general. In Android, screen freezes on sig loss and may fragment, while my experience with an i5 phone is that it gets back to full sync quicker. But that's just my experience. Word is Epson is working on the GS issue. I use version 1.4 of vision. None of the booster apps work with them yet, which is a limitation of Android 4.0 (they need 4.1, apparently)

It's a big plus being able to see around the glasses without taking them off. Or just slide them down your nose. And, you can use the, for watching most mp4 videos too.

Have been using these since they came out about 7 weeks ago. Absolutely incredible in my opinion. Just being able to use them in the sun makes a huge difference. At this point i dont feel comfortable flying with out them. Has anyone been able to get the wifi extender to work on them?

I have the V+ booster app running on mine without a problem. What issue are you having?

Ben

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl