First flight tomorrow!

Reaction score
I'm so excited to have received my P3P this morning. I've unboxed, updated the firmware, and browsed through the DJI Go app a little. I've been consulting the manual to answer any questions that have come up, but I was wondering if you guys have any words of wisdom for before, during, or after flight?

The weather looks like it'll be great tomorrow, and I've got a big field (and beginner mode) at my disposal. I don't intend to push the limits; just getting her off the ground and get familiar with the bird and the interface.

Go to a big field..... away from everyone and everything. Take "baby steps". Keep it in "beginner mode" (in the app) so it cannot wander off. Keep the multi position switch in P mode (GPS lock). If you land it manually instead of auto land cut the throttle when it touches the ground and hold the throttle down for more than 3 seconds to stop the motors. Do not try the "shut down" by cornering both your sticks (like for manual start up) or it will probably tip over.

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Take your time and get used to the controls. Don't do any complex maneuvers until you know exactly how the drone will react. Go through each command on the two sticks and remember the drone will react based on its orientation to you. Meaning if the drone is facing the same direction as you and you move the right stick to the left, the drone will go left. But if the drone is facing you and you give the right stick a left it will go right. The same direction for the drone, but different from your perspective. Get used to simple maneuvers at close range then add distance when your comfort level goes up.

Make sure your take off is at least 50 feet from any object and listen for the home point update to make sure it will return. You may also want to try the return to home (RTH) a couple of times to get used to it, it can be a little unnerving initially and you want to know what to expect should it ever happen.

One last thing, be aware of the CSC command and know it will take your drone out of the air. Otherwise enjoy, it will be a lot of fun.

Stay away from anything that could cause RF interference. Speaking as a HAM this can literally be anything that runs on electricity. As someone mentioned before a field would be a good bet. These wifi bands are extremely prone to noise issues especially over powered pagers tones found around hospitals. Good luck. I didn't crash mine until the 3rd day and i think it was a systems issue more than myself.

Personally, I'd spend a lot more time studying before I'd take that maiden flight. I spent five weeks before I switched it on, reading, reading and reading more. Touch wood, I've now taken 100+ flights and not had an incident that I have not been able to calmly handle and I put that down to prep. Anyway, just MPOV. Good luck and enjoy...

Play with the flight simulator before actual flight! I played around with it for nearly a week before my actual flight in a open football field.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

First thing I did is get that baby out of beginners mode, you don't want to be restricted with speed, bring her up and take a cool video. Also practice still photos, you'll love it

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Stay away from anything that could cause RF interference. Speaking as a HAM this can literally be anything that runs on electricity. As someone mentioned before a field would be a good bet. These wifi bands are extremely prone to noise issues especially over powered pagers tones found around hospitals. Good luck. I didn't crash mine until the 3rd day and i think it was a systems issue more than myself.

A bit over paranoid. Avoid obvious things (big transmission masts) other than that I've never avoided anything. I regularly fly in very wifi congested areas and have never had any trouble (besides dropping the range down to 1 mile or so)

Enjoy! You are in for a treat!

Take it easy, climb to 30 meters so you don't run into trees and stuff and make some gentle turns and ups and downs. Stay away from prop guards, they don't protect much and will just act as sails and make your Phantom drift much more.

Have fun!

//Tom

Just take it easy the first few flights. Get to know the RC (controller) and learn what does what. After a while it will become second nature and you'll be flying without thinking about what to do next on what stick or button. Then, read up on hand-catching your bird instead of landing. I hand catch 99% of the time and have no issues of tipping over or landing in grass or sand. Overall, just have fun. It's a blast........you'll see!! Calm winds and blue skies!! [emoji41]

Reactions: meissner58
Probably need to update the firmware. Then read up on IMU, gimbal, and compass calibration and be sure to do those. Flight simulator is a good idea and you use your own controller which helps you get used to the controls. Take it UP first and try to clear treetop level. The most common mistake I see is people thinking they are "safer" by trying to fly it at shoulder or head height to keep it close to the ground, then they end up hitting a tree limb a few feet off the ground and... there goes your gimbal! I'd say take it up to something like 150 feet and then keep it close to home on the first flight. Go SLOW. Small movements of the stick. Once you get to a good height, pay attention to your left thumb and be sure you don't move it up or down during flight so you can keep your altitude at 150 feet and just move around. Only move down on the left stick when you are preparing to land and you are clear underneath. If you're not experienced, you can end up moving your left thumb up or down thinking that's going to move your forward and back, and all it's doing is changing your altitude (and you may not notice).

And yes, take pics/video. :)

Mike

I think we're all excited for you!! Good luck ..take there advise..take your time..I used auto take off my first time. Let it hoover a couple minutes and watch your screen. Battery life, signals, etc...you'll be fine .:cool:

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Heck, we're all just big kids anyway. And like my daddy said, "The only difference between men and boys.....is the price of their toys." ( and now WE know it too) [emoji12]

Thanks everyone for the tips! I had to change locations because too many people around, but my secondary spot turned out to be great. There was a pond next to it, but enough field space that beginner mode kept the limits over land. I'm out running some errands, but I'll update with some photos and possibly video later!

Also, any advice on taking still frames from the video? I've played around in the DJI Go editor, but the video quality seems much lower than the raw footage on the SD card.

Okay, I've thrown together a (poorly done) video of my first flight. It was an absolute joy, and I can't wait to get back in the air to get more practice.

Don't know why you'd say "poorly done". Looks great! Nice first flight! Down to the bird buzzing by you at 1:41. Nice job, and may you have many great flights.

Mike

9948bb56882871755321033282ec44f0.jpg

Dooh! Was really keen to see your first video too. [emoji6]

I'm researching before buying my P3P. Hope to see more videos soon.

Jazza

Great first flight! Mine will be next week, my bird is supposed to be here Monday. Can't freakin wait! LoL!

Jazza, I can't see your video. Says it's blocked in my country for copyright?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl