First flight tomorrow

Just remember all the pre start checks and stick to your flight plan do not make it up as you are flying. No shame in a short flight and gives you a chance to practise landing. Once comfortable ensure you use home return and power off controller to ensure phantom returns home. Be ready to turn back on if it does not respond. Go slow and have fun and always watch your battery percentage especially in cold weather.

Where in UK are you? I'm in NW near Warrington. 20mph sounds a bit strong to start, 15mph and under is easier. Be patient, impatience can cost.
I found learning the basics easy, but the intricacies of the app longer to learn.
If you join the BMFA for a measly £36 for the year you get £25m 3rd party insurance, worth it in this day and age imo.
Have fun, and stay calm :)

Sorry to hi jack I'm from warrington also. Be good to fly with another user in the area.

Reactions: sticky photography
Weather is crap on the south coast now..
But it was ok @ 8am this morning!
I managed to get some good camera practice & throw it together in iMovie on the phone.
I'm just uploading to YouTube now..
I'll post it here in a mo..

Don't risk it!!!
Not for your first flight. I have been grounded for 6 weeks in Wales! How can we have force 10s for 6 weeks and rain every single **** day?
Takeoff will be a problem it could easily tip. Landing will need to be hand catch only!!!
Remember if the wind is a constant 20mph the gusts could well be more.
Yes the P3 will cope but not for your first flight. Easy said but have patience ggrrr!!!!
IF you are determined to press ahead you MUST hand catch. Bring it to a hover at 6 feet and get someone to reach up and grab the skid. Throttle down until the motors stop then turn the battery off.
Don't go too far away - 20mph means return speed of 10-15mph.
Take your time. The P3 will just sit there and let you have a rest.
GOOD LUCK!!!

& here's the link:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(thrown together in iMovie from the device library)

As you will see.. conditions were OK for me!

Reactions: Dnallov
Hi
UAV says it should be fine tonight here in Suffolk between 10pm and midnight so hope to get some video of fireworks, I would hand release and catch if it is blowing 20mph tomorrow but good luck[emoji2]

Hey, video looks good. Eeek!! uncontrolled people detected... only joking :) Certainly shows the weather we have been having... until the end, nice sunset.

Hi Guys

So I ended up getting out and about today, as the wind wound right down with clear blue sky. All in all I had three 15min sessions. I had one full session in the field in beginner mode, and found it really easy to control.

Next session I had in beginner mode closer to my house, as the farmer warned me that he was bringing in the sheep. He is fine with me flying my drone in the field with sheep, but I thought it best not risk it for now. Again I found it really simple and no accidents!

Last session of the day, I took it off of beginner mode and just flew about at 150merters high but keeping the drone in sight, filming it all along the way. Tried the return to home feature, which was about a meter of the mark.

So I have a couple of questions!

- The first which was unanswered from earlier: the UAV warns against flying because of the wind chill which is 3C. Why is this and is there a min/ max temp I should avoid

- What is the point of the auto take-off?

Thanks guys and happy new year!

& here's the link:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(thrown together in iMovie from the device library)

As you will see.. conditions were OK for me!

That’s awesome! I see what I can string together from my first filmed flight; although the Lincolnshire fields is tad boring compared to the Dorset Coast!

That’s awesome! I see what I can string together from my first filmed flight; although the Lincolnshire fields is tad boring compared to the Dorset Coast!

Thanks!

Yes, see what you can get from your first flights!

(Regardless of the subject - it's all good fun & good practice!)

I'm fortunate.. I have a lot of flying areas & places of interest to choose from around here - I'd recommend anyone come here.

(If anyone plans to - let me know & I'll recommend the locations worth a visit! & join you.. if I'm invited?!)

Also, the word from DJI about temps is between -20c to 40c, although I think the battery temps are different (something like -10c to 40c) make of that what you will - but you can't operate a P3 without a battery, so go with the battery temps!

I've read plenty on here about owners who have operated in much more severe conditions - but each to their own!

& auto take-off puts the P3 3ft in the air (where I leave it for a short time whilst going through some other stuff in app & waiting for the battery to get up to a warm temp)

I've programmed the c2 button to show battery info screen - so it's quick & easy to monitor.

I guess the benefit of auto take-off is that it gets the P3 up & steady - away from the prop wash / negative air zone (that can be generated if hovering too long too close to the ground)

I'm sure if I've got something stupidly wrong someone will jump in!

Happy & safe flying.. & best wishes for 2016!

Here is a quick and dirty way to estimate wind speed;

FLAG.jpg

Attachments

• FLAG.jpg
    FLAG.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 272

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member