First flight tomorrow

Reaction score
Hi guys

I got a Phantom 3 Professional for myself for Christmas; but here in the UK we’ve had god awful weather since it arrived, so haven’t had a chance to fly the thing! Anyhow, a break in the weather and I should have an hour free to try it out.

I’ve got permission from a farmer to fly it in his 5 acer field; no obstructions apart from a single telephone pole and trees around the edge of the field which I will keep my distance from. I’ve also read the instructions inside and out and watched the videos!

However, rather than go head strong into things, I’d rather ask for advice from you guys on how to approach my first flight, and also get involved in this fine looking community!

I’m going to find a largely level spot, and keep things to the east of the field as the telephone pole and my village is located to the west.

So any advice or pitfalls for an absolute beginner please let me know! I’ll also undoubtedly add any questions I have to this thread after my first flight

However I do have a first question; although it is going to be dry and largely sunny tomorrow, it is going to be fairly windy (about 20mph). I’m only going to try the basics; but could this be a problem for a first flight?

There is a solar storm tomorrow that will affect gps, communications etc. so be carefull

So are we taking bets you'll hit that one telephone pole in the 5 acre area,lol :) good luck!

Enjoy it's gonna be fun and quite exhilarating 20mph is quite breezy I would t fly under 15mph so take it easy

Just make sure you calibrate the compass in the field (if you haven't already nearby) and then check the Mod sensor reading, should be around 1500 if all is well. It bounces around from 14XX to 15XX at times, nothing to be concerned about. Mod reading must be done before every flight, but not the compass calibration if you're flying within 100mi of the last calibration. However, if the Mod reading is 1200 (low) or 1700 (high) range, re-calibrate the compass again, or move to another area if the calibration doesn't get you near 1500.

I don't recommend 20mph winds for a beginner. Even I cringe at that kind of wind and I've got over 150 miles on my Phantom. Try early morning, the winds might be more calm.

Last edited:
Reactions: John N Kronyak
Oh and don't drive / fly your drone hard or aggressively

Hi guys

I got a Phantom 3 Professional for myself for Christmas; but here in the UK we’ve had god awful weather since it arrived, so haven’t had a chance to fly the thing! Anyhow, a break in the weather and I should have an hour free to try it out.

I’ve got permission from a farmer to fly it in his 5 acer field; no obstructions apart from a single telephone pole and trees around the edge of the field which I will keep my distance from. I’ve also read the instructions inside and out and watched the videos!

However, rather than go head strong into things, I’d rather ask for advice from you guys on how to approach my first flight, and also get involved in this fine looking community!

I’m going to find a largely level spot, and keep things to the east of the field as the telephone pole and my village is located to the west.

So any advice or pitfalls for an absolute beginner please let me know! I’ll also undoubtedly add any questions I have to this thread after my first flight

However I do have a first question; although it is going to be dry and largely sunny tomorrow, it is going to be fairly windy (about 20mph). I’m only going to try the basics; but could this be a problem for a first flight?

Welcome Dnallov,

Good to see another uk p3 pilot!

Where are you in the country?

The p3 will handle 20mph winds.. although calmer is more desirable.

I live in Dorset.. right in the coast - windy is normal here!

As its your first flight you will do well to keep reasonably low altitude (as it will be calmer - if you're surrounded by trees etc at the perimeter)

That should give you opportunity to start learning the sticks!

Best of luck...

& enjoy - you're going to love it!

Have fun !! They are easy to fly even in the wind as long as you are in the open. Go against the wind on the way out so you know you can get back with enough battery. Don't forget to get a selfie of your first flight.

I flew my first time in 20mph winds with no problem. Beginner mode doesn't let you get very far away at all so it really wasn't an issue.

Storm 'Frank' is going to cause problems flying tomorrow.

I plan to fly late morning tomorrow, but will be keeping it low (<60m altitude). The weather is too unpredictable at the moment and I really recommend not taking any risks for your first flight - especially when a storm is hitting.

Hopefully next week the weather will become more suitable. I can't wait to get back out there again, but it's been raining most of the day today and except for a short clear spell tomorrow it looks like Yorkshire is going to be wet for the foreseeable.

Enjoy your flight!

I highly recommend the UAV app, it gives you a good indication of whether it's safe to fly, I'm down in Somerset and haven't been able to take my P3A out for a few weeks now, you will love it, they are so easy to fly, just take your time, don't get cocky thinking this is easy as that's when mistakes creep up and bite you in the Backside.

Where in UK are you? I'm in NW near Warrington. 20mph sounds a bit strong to start, 15mph and under is easier. Be patient, impatience can cost.
I found learning the basics easy, but the intricacies of the app longer to learn.
If you join the BMFA for a measly £36 for the year you get £25m 3rd party insurance, worth it in this day and age imo.
Have fun, and stay calm :)

Hi guys

I'm going to sound like a right know it all, and I've only being flying since the Summer.....But, have you had any experience with other quads at all? If you haven't, I wouldn't go out today if it's that windy. The Phantom will be fine with gps lock etc, but you really do need to get some orientation skills together, and the best way to do that is with a small Chinese quad, which are fun in their own right.
If I'm preaching to the converted, then I'd get it out there initially in beginner mode. It's almost impossible to lose the bird in that mode as it will just stop once it reaches a few hundred feet away.

Hi Guy

Thank you for your (overwhelming!) response.

Couple of you guys asking where I’m at; I’m in Lincolnshire, and have updated my profile<

Storm 'Frank' is going to cause problems flying tomorrow.

I plan to fly late morning tomorrow, but will be keeping it low (<60m altitude). The weather is too unpredictable at the moment and I really recommend not taking any risks for your first flight - especially when a storm is hitting.

Hopefully next week the weather will become more suitable. I can't wait to get back out there again, but it's been raining most of the day today and except for a short clear spell tomorrow it looks like Yorkshire is going to be wet for the foreseeable.

Enjoy your flight!

Storm Frank has all but gone in this area today; hope you’re OK in Yorkshire though as I know it’s been hit pretty bad up there.

I highly recommend the UAV app, it gives you a good indication of whether it's safe to fly, I'm down in Somerset and haven't been able to take my P3A out for a few weeks now, you will love it, they are so easy to fly, just take your time, don't get cocky thinking this is easy as that's when mistakes creep up and bite you in the Backside.

Thanks for the APP, which I have downloaded and looking at as I type. It’s showing me “Not Good To Fly” which I believe is because the wind is at 18mph and the wind chill is 4C, so guess I will wait and keep checking the app. To me it looks good to go outside; it is far less windy than I thought it would be. Why would wind chill be a contributing factor?

Hi there!

I'm over in Huddersfield (Wet Yorks - yes, 'wet).

You should be ok flying on Friday (New Years day). The wind is forecast for 6mph gusting to 10-12mph. Don't go mad, stick with beginner mode and you'll be fine.

:)

Hi there!

I'm over in Huddersfield (Wet Yorks - yes, 'wet).

You should be ok flying on Friday (New Years day). The wind is forecast for 6mph gusting to 10-12mph. Don't go mad, stick with beginner mode and you'll be fine.

:)

Hey there neighbour!

If you flew your drone north and I flew my drone south, we could probably just about get footage of each other ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20