First flight thoughts and observations

strange.. for whatever reason i just went back outside, where my phone got 9 satellites, and i only got 6, and that was after takeoff...
then i got around 7 in flight. my phone got 9-10. I thought the foil had solved my issues... It seems AFTER i put on the packing tape my satellites went down.. its just clear crap, it shouldnt have done anything :(

Ok, so same thing.. never more than 7 satellites.. a few times popped to 9...
Really dishearted by this development :(

Don't be discouraged. The number of sats can vary quite a bit at the same location at different times. The sats move in the sky relative to the earth so the count won't always be the same. And there are two different types of sats of which the phantom uses only one type. That might explain the diff between the phone and the bird.

I practice regularly in the same location. Most times I get 9-12 but last night got 7-9.

dunginhawk,
You should have my trees. I have waited as much as 16 minutes to get 6 and a lock at my house. When I go to the beach 6, 8, to 10 pop up within seconds.

Happyflyer said:
dunginhawk,
You should have my trees. I have waited as much as 16 minutes to get 6 and a lock at my house.

Have you tried taking off in ATTI mode and hovering above the trees? You'll probably get a GPS lock in seconds if you do that.

yeah, ive had to take off in atti mode and hover 10-15 feet to get a lock... im just a VERY new pilot and love the security of GPS lock.. in fact if im at 6 satellites i wont veture too far away, which sucks.. i bought this thing to have fun, and when i have 6 satellites and i dont have confidence, i wont use it

dunginhawk said:
yeah, ive had to take off in atti mode and hover 10-15 feet to get a lock... im just a VERY new pilot and love the security of GPS lock.. in fact if im at 6 satellites i wont veture too far away, which sucks.. i bought this thing to have fun, and when i have 6 satellites and i dont have confidence, i wont use it
You havent eliminated all the variables yet.

I would still order another Vision+ from B&H Photo (making sure box hasnt already been opened) and try GPS sat testing on that bird to see if you get the same dismal results. If you do, then you know you live in an area that just has poor GPS reception. If you get more sats, then you know you got a defective GPS receiver or mainboard with the bird you bought from Amazon.

That's really the only way to know for sure what's going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic