First flight thoughts and observations

dunginhawk said:
Im considering taking off the gimbal and the camera for a brief time until i get better. I took it down in the weeds again this last time out lol. id hate to wreck something
That might be a good idea. I flew my p2 for a couple of weeks before I setup FPV. Learn what the different light flash/combos mean and keep it within your line of site and you'll be fine.

Mike said:
That might be a good idea. I flew my p2 for a couple of weeks before I setup FPV. Learn what the different light flash/combos mean and keep it within your line of site and you'll be fine.

It's amazing how many people are out there are flying Phantoms and don't know what the different LED colors signify.

:roll:

i have a pretty firm graps of the colors on the LEDs... i have to, since i havent had enough satellites most of the night haha :)

i havent tried it.. only had to actually land it twice... :)
I need to get used to just pushing UP UP UP UP when it starts to get in trouble. Im going to jack this thing up if i crash it much more.

i am home with my roll of foil tape..
going to put that in the shell this morning and try it out.
also have prop guards and new antenna arriving today.
ANxious to see how many more satellites i get.. Im 2-3 shy of what my phone is reporting at any given time.

dunginhawk said:
Observation #4 - I can see after I get proficient at flying that this thing would be WICKED FUN. Quite frankly my first 5 minutes in the air i was PARANOID. For those of you without much flight experience, how long did it take you to really start feeling comfortable with it. I have to imagine ill fly below 100 feet and closer in than 200 feet for a while.

One thing I did before the first flight, while I was updating the firmware and checking out the Vision Assistant, was to set the limits to 400 feet high and 800 feet radius so that if it did get away from me it would hopefully not go far.

I think you will quickly gain confidence as you see how stable this thing is.

ok. So i just got my P2V+ yesterday as many may know...Backyard was bouncing between 4-6 satellites. maybe 7 after liftoff. This morning after the foil mod. 10 ON THE GROUND. I got 2x my satellites.
. In the front yard i had 6 pretty steady on the ground. With foil mod, 10 again.
WOW is all i can say.
I dont know how hard it would be to add 10 cents in foil to the roof of this thing from the factory, but thank god someone found it.
I can now fly with confidence.. thats 9/10 of it for me. If i know im locked in to home position, i can actually feel ok flying around.

If you're solely flying outside, forego the prop guards. They tend to get hung up on things (tree branches, bushes, fences), so they're actually more a hindrance than a help. That, and a growing number of pilots say that they contribute to Vortex Ring State, which, for a new pilot, can be a peck of trouble. It's better to fly without them, and just replace a prop if it happens to get damaged.

Only use prop guards if you're flying indoors. And even then...

ProfessorStein said:
Mitch, hopefully you saw this come through this morning:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20292&start=110#p238909

So... at least someone is getting increase flight times!

Seems to vary. *shrug*

Hmm, interesting. I guess the only way to satisfy my curiosity is to buy a full set of the 9450's and do a hover test to record max. flight time and then do the same with my stock 9443's. It's the only way to get an accurate answer. Of course, I'd need to do some rapid descents to see if VRS is mitigated with the 50's.

I might just go ahead and buy a set of the carbon-fiber tri-blade 43's and compare them as well :mrgreen:

My main concern with using prop guards was to protect my own liability in case it flys away and hits a kid. I know rare rare chance, but a chance none the less... At least if the props are protected that mitigates cuts, but does nothing against the blunt force trauma caused by a 5 lb hurling chunk of plastic.

son of A... just realized i foiled it, but didnt put insulating packing tape... those red indictator stickers wont hold up again haha

dunginhawk said:
son of A... just realized i foiled it, but didnt put insulating packing tape... those red indictator stickers wont hold up again haha
That's why I bought a big roll of red electrical tape at Home Depot :mrgreen:

Paint works too.

Once and done!

i cut them this time instead of peeling them.. worked just fine.. going to go run a pack and test it out. with the foil mod :)

wow. i cant tell you how much of a difference that makes... i only had around 6 on the ground, but as soon as I was airborne, i got 9 regularly and no drop off when i recorded.

I feel so much more confident when I can count on good GPS lock.. and it is pretty windy today.. got buffetted around a bit.

RTH worked great when i was done with my pack... caught the bird with one hand. but had to figure out how to power it off then haha

dunginhawk said:
wow. i cant tell you how much of a difference that makes... i only had around 6 on the ground, but as soon as I was airborne, i got 9 regularly and no drop off when i recorded.

I feel so much more confident when I can count on good GPS lock.. and it is pretty windy today.. got buffetted around a bit.

RTH worked great when i was done with my pack... caught the bird with one hand. but had to figure out how to power it off then haha

Catch with Right hand, hold left stick down with Left hand for 3-5 secs. while keeping quad still (no vertical movement).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj