First flight questions

Reaction score
I have some questions that I need answered before I take off on my first flight. My specs are in the signature. P2 non-vision.

Ok, I have studied the manuals, watched videos, updated firmware, configured everything I can find in assistant sw and played with a mini quad.
I'm almost ready. I think.

But I have some questions.

In the assistant software, see the attachment below, In "control mode switch", it shows failsafe between GPS and Atti and between Atti and failsafe. Deos this mean, for example, if I lose GPS lock, the phantom will go into failsafe? I really want to go to Atti, right?

Second part questions,

On the Phantom, the GoPro gets very hot when left on a little while, is this normal? I assume it's charging from the Phantom battery?

I'm assuming that I need to unplug that fragile ribbon cable on the GoPro, (mini usb),to transfer data to PC, (and to charge via USB) ?

The GoPro seems to turn on when I power on the Phantom. Do I manually push the record button to start recording the video? Or is there some way to use the WIFI remote key FOB??

The GoPro has a blue, "blink, blink, wait, blink, blink", on the WIFI indicator light. Does this mean the WIFI is on or off? I know that I want WIFI off while flying.

I probably have more questions coming :D

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Capture13.JPG
    Capture13.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 431
auen1 said:
Does this mean, for example, if I lose GPS lock, the phantom will go into failsafe? I really want to go to Atti, right?
If your Phantom loses GPS sat lock, it cannot return home.
Without GPS, it doesn't know where it is or how to get to anywhere else.

OK, that makes sense.

Thanks!

auen1 said:
In the assistant software, see the attachment below, In "control mode switch", it shows failsafe between GPS and Atti and between Atti and failsafe. Deos this mean, for example, if I lose GPS lock, the phantom will go into failsafe? I really want to go to Atti, right?

You can't get there - to the in-between settings, that is. I know what's going on, but explaining it would be difficult.

On the Phantom, the GoPro gets very hot when left on a little while, is this normal? I assume it's charging from the Phantom battery?
I'm assuming that I need to unplug that fragile ribbon cable on the GoPro, (mini usb),to transfer data to PC, (and to charge via USB) ?
The GoPro seems to turn on when I power on the Phantom. Do I manually push the record button to start recording the video? Or is there some way to use the WIFI remote key FOB??
The GoPro has a blue, "blink, blink, wait, blink, blink", on the WIFI indicator light. Does this mean the WIFI is on or off? I know that I want WIFI off while flying.

DO NOT use the wiFi or Bluetooth on the GoPro. the P2NV control is on 2.4GHz which is the same as the Hero Wifi and Bluetooth. When you get some distance from the controller the WiFi signal is so "loud" that the Phantom won't hear your controller. (Receiver desense).
Did I mention - do not use the WiFi or bluetooth on the GoPro Hero?
The blinking blue is either the WiFi or the bluetooth trying to make a connection.
Yes, the only way to get the data is to CAREFULLY pull the ribbon connector and remove the MicroUSB card.

I've never really noticed if the Hero 4 is getting hot on my Phantom.

The blinking blue is either the WiFi or the bluetooth trying to make a connection.
Alright, finally got the blue light off.
Yes, the only way to get the data is to CAREFULLY pull the ribbon connector and remove the MicroUSB card.
Ok, so you have to remove the card. You cannot transfer data through the mini USB?

I've never really noticed if the Hero 4 is getting hot on my Phantom.
Mine is almost to hot to comfortable touch.

I think I'm ready.
A few last questions.

Should I set GoPro at 1080 30fps medium?

Does the 7" Flysight pearl mount on the controller?
ATM I have it mounted on a tripod.

And
Is this something to worry about?

auen1 said:
I think I'm ready.
A few last questions.

And

You can set your camera what rate you what that's up to you.

Yes the camera will get warm but I have never felt it get hot to the touch.

Some prefer to use a tripod for their monitor. For me that's awkward and to much to carry to a location and set up and if you move around guess what where the hell is the monitor. There are all kinds of mounting brackets available on the market. Google monitor mounting brackets on ebay

auen1 said:
I think I'm ready.
A few last questions.

And

I don't remove my card, I just connect my mini USB cord between the computer and GoPro and let it download. It also charges the battery at the same time so you are killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Where are you located? If you put this kind of info in your profile I am sure if there is someone close by they would be happy to get out and fly with you and help out on this kind of stuff. Just know like Steve said to keep wifi and blu tooth off on the gopro, you don't want any interference.

Regarding goPro and it getting hot, I fly with a GP3 and have never had heat issues on or off the Phantom. I also have a GP4 I use for recording my son's baseball games and I noticed that it does get hot if recording at hi-res (2.7 & 4K) and this is "normal". If you are using a GP4 you also want to check that you have the correct spec micro SD card, which can be part of the heating issue if not able to read/write fast enough.

jason said:
auen1 said:
I think I'm ready.
A few last questions.

And

You can set your camera what rate you what that's up to you.

Yes the camera will get warm but I have never felt it get hot to the touch.

Some prefer to use a tripod for their monitor. For me that's awkward and to much to carry to a location and set up and if you move around guess what where the hell is the monitor. There are all kinds of mounting brackets available on the market. Google monitor mounting brackets on ebay

+1...I tried a tripod too at first and now much prefer the carbon fiber mounting bracket for my black pearl I bought through EZdrone.com

I just need to get a longer lanyard to suspend the radio (I use a Futaba 14SG) and monitor a little lower...my belly has been getting in the way lately. I guess I could take the hint and lose a few pounds, but it's much easier to but a longer lanyard and continue to kill myself slowly with fatty foods and soda.

auen1 said:
I have some questions that I need answered before I take off on my first flight. My specs are in the signature. P2 non-vision.

Ok, I have studied the manuals, watched videos, updated firmware, configured everything I can find in assistant sw and played with a mini quad.
I'm almost ready. I think.

But I have some questions.

Second part questions,

Auen1 is not wrong about the GP getting warm both of mine do the same thing if there just setting there while check the P2 on on the software. Or if I forget to shut it down after a flight. I did say warm not hot.

I probably have more questions coming :D

Thanks in advance!

Thanks guys for the advice!
Where are you located? If you put this kind of info in your profile I am sure if there is someone close by they would be happy to get out and fly with you and help out on this kind of stuff.
Well, no, probably not for at least 600 miles. :roll: Be nice if there were more fliers around here.
But I did add my location to my profile.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

I also got the "recommend" props. The CF 9*3's.
http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/antigravity-prop.htm
Sure a bunch of ways to spend money. :roll: :?
I have stock props on. I was wondering if anyone has used these motors/props?

I'm still not off the ground yet. But the weather is looking flyable today, so maybe I'll get'er in the air.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues