First Flight - PC Ground Station Question

Reaction score
First successful PC GS flight w/ P2

Few quick questions :

>> I dont see where to control the orientation of the P2 - I want to plan out the path of the video and want to position the P2 during its flight.

>> when P2 gets to a waypoint I want to not only hold for a # of seconds but move the P2 orientation around to video that location before it moves on.

>> can the 3D gimbal be controlled in the flight plan to handle panning up down of the cam

>> can meters be changed to feet? also can this be done on my iOSD overlay (meters to feet)?

>> does anyone have a suggestion on a good way to power the 2.4 datalink for the iPad - battery?

see my responses below. if i misinterpreted anything, please let me know and let's discuss...

tebowner said:
First successful PC GS flight w/ P2

Few quick questions :

>> I dont see where to control the orientation of the P2 - I want to plan out the path of the video and want to position the P2 during its flight.
As of yet, you cannot control the orientation of your Phantom. You can program orientation, but it will only point in that direction once it reaches the waypoint. Hopefully, a firmware update will take care of that.
>> when P2 gets to a waypoint I want to not only hold for a # of seconds but move the P2 orientation around to video that location before it moves on.
If you input orientation, you can program the direction and the length of time it is pointing in that direction, but that's it. Once the time you programmed has elapsed, the Phantom will head to your next waypoint using a forward direction, not the last direction in which the camera was pointed.

>> can the 3D gimbal be controlled in the flight plan to handle panning up down of the cam
Yes, you have full gimbal control. One thing I like to do is program adaptive waypoints and went its moving to the next waypoint, I'll tilt the gimbal. The dual motion looks pretty awesome. I'm also using a Futaba 8FGS with the ianwood profile so I have super smooth gimbal movement.
>> can meters be changed to feet? also can this be done on my iOSD overlay (meters to feet)?
yes, I have mine set to feet.

>> does anyone have a suggestion on a good way to power the 2.4 datalink for the iPad - battery?
It's rated to use up to a 6s lipo, but I couldn't see why. I have a bunch of old Phantom 1 lipos and use that.

thx for responding!

so i think you are saying.... you can program the direction the P2 points the camera once it gets to the waypoint position BUT you cannot say " spin slowly " or after 5 secs move camera to this position at the same waypoint. you are also saying in-flight the camera is always forward

I dont see where to set a P2 orientation on PC GS

I also dont see where to change mini-iOSD to feet or change GS to feet

tebowner said:
thx for responding!

so i think you are saying.... you can program the direction the P2 points the camera once it gets to the waypoint position BUT you cannot say " spin slowly " {correct. you can only tell it to rotate, but not the speed of the rotation. i'd consider the rotation speed to be moderate} or after 5 secs move camera to this position at the same waypoint {correct.}. you are also saying in-flight the camera is always forward {correct.}

I dont see where to set a P2 orientation on PC GS{I use an iPad, maybe someone with a PC can chime in.}

I also dont see where to change mini-iOSD to feet or change GS to feet{There is a setting on the iPad app in which you could change from metric to feet.}

GS is pretty awesome, but it does lack some features, namely the ones that you were hoping would be available. I think the future firmware updates will allow for some of the stuff that we want. For example, I think it's definitely within their possibility to program a strafe feature, ie. fly in one direction while the camera is pointed in another direction.

Anyone have any comments about airport restrictions. I live near an airport and the 2.4 datalink will not let you fly waypoints at all. Maybe its different with the 900 LK?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl