First Flight Partial Success

Reaction score
So took the jump on a reasonably windy day for a first flight. It wasn't until I walked to the local field that I realised (only when I got there) that it was indeed gusting (note to self - get a handheld wind meter.

This was a particularly nervy flight as I also updated the firmware to v2 this morning so lots of potential for new things to happen.

Did a compass calibration which seemed to work a treat. motors running and then up and away. All told I managed to get a reasonable flight in and two hand catches and a single hand launch again (need to work on being able to hold it and power on - any tips welcome).

the partial success comes in the video. I've got a file (says .mp4) about 1.7GB in size which I've copied from the card to my pc. looks however as though it didn't close properly because I can't seem to open it. Now, I thought i'd done the right thing.

brought the p2v back just as the alarm started to go on the N7 (which i'm using for FPV). Hand caught, powered down and then actually powered off via the battery. Yet the file still doesn't want to open. So open to advice on fixing that issue too. If it's a case of putting it back in the camera and powering on/off again, i'll have to re-read that thread and give that a go.

all in all, pretty satisfied. Just interested to see how the video quality works out. Batteries are back on charge. Next flight later with some luck.

I'd appreciate any guidance for UK purchase of
wind meter
decent multi charger (fast and balanced, which could ideally charge other battery types ie. the controller).

i'm sure there's loads I've done wrong, but what the heck, I had a good time and that's 90% of it :D

have a good day

Bmews

f it's a case of putting it back in the camera and powering on/off again, i'll have to re-read that thread and give that a go.

That seems to be the fix that people post on here...haven't tried it myself, but worth a shot?

the only thing that I would add is that you're dealing large file size/obviously long video. I find that it's easier to deal with multiple smaller files rather than just rolling video the whole time. Get used to using the stop/start function on the app to get "just the good stuff". Happy flying!

jimdenburg said:
f it's a case of putting it back in the camera and powering on/off again, i'll have to re-read that thread and give that a go.

That seems to be the fix that people post on here...haven't tried it myself, but worth a shot?

the only thing that I would add is that you're dealing large file size/obviously long video. I find that it's easier to deal with multiple smaller files rather than just rolling video the whole time. Get used to using the stop/start function on the app to get "just the good stuff". Happy flying!

I have a bad habit of forgetting to turn off the camera, before I shut down the P2V, so this happens to me all the time. Placing the SD back in the camera and powering up, waiting a few seconds, and powering down, does the job...

-slinger

Well done on the maiden! You've been told what to do to fix the file. You'll lose the last 7 to 10 seconds, that's all.

One other thing... Hand launching? Personally, that's a big no no for me. That aircraft could move around a bit until it settles as the IMU works out what's going on, especially in windy conditions. Doesn't take much movement due to a gust for the white whirling knives of death to get too close to fingers, arms or even head. <shudder>

Launch it off the ground. If it's too uneven or muddy or whatever, then off the lid of your flight case or even of a bit of cardboard or anything like that. A good assertive push of the throttle and it'll be up and away from you nice and quick while you stand back admiringly.

Hand-catching though, if done safely, is fairly low risk and I do it all the time.

All my own opinions of course, your big enough and ugly enough to look after yourself. ;)

Thanks for the assistance. Naturally, being an idiot I forgot that the camera had a power switch of its own so thinking that shutting down the p2v was sufficient. I think that along with my natural good looks ;) (already called into question) goes to show I was having a senior moment. Need to build that into a pre-flight check.

appreciate the hand launching etc. just interested in my own nerves of steel.

now to see if I can recover the video. Perhaps even a few minutes to have another flight.

Bmews

Yep, placing the card back in the camera, slapping in a battery, powering on then powering off the camera and powering off the p2v has indeed fixed it.

thanks all.

:D

next q. how do I remove the fish-eye effect from the vision lens? any suggestions?

thanks again

Bmews

There is a lens profile available from the download page. You can use that to correct the fisheye if you have an Adobe product like Photoshop. That works well for stills (takes forever and a day with video!). Otherwise you want to keep the camera as level as possible when shooting--any downward angle intensifies the fish eye look.

The gimbal on mine anyway, has a tendency to tilt down quite a bit, and I'm always tilting it back to full-up position. Maybe there's a setting for that? A few weeks ago I was without a wifi repeater (don't ask), so I disconnected the top ribbon cable from the camera and put it in the "on" position (without wifi). This essentially locked the angle and I was impressed with the video that I got. Had to start record using the button on the bottom of the cam but I always wondered what that was for anyway.

thanks for the response. Notice mine too has a penchant for drooping. maybe it's an age thing. Still, i'll go get the adobe profile and see what I can knock up in premiere pro cc. Now that's something else to learn I guess :D

thanks again

Bmews

If you figure out how to use it in Premiere let me know...I've only gotten it to work with Photoshop and it will work with video but super slow renders! I'm on CS 5 so the newer version might give you the option in Premiere/After Effects?

You mentioned the camera switch: no need to touch that, mine stays in the "on wifi" position all the time - one less thing to forget to do before flying! At the end of a flight all you need to do is stop any active recording via the phone app then switch off the whole shooting match using the battery switch. It's the shutter stop command from the app that finalises the file.

Been there, done that and the t-shirt has been well and truly worn. half way up a mountain discovering the memory card isn't in the camera was a lesson well learned. :D

there's only one word for it. Spares.

Bmews

jimdenburg said:
If you figure out how to use it in Premiere let me know...I've only gotten it to work with Photoshop and it will work with video but super slow renders! I'm on CS 5 so the newer version might give you the option in Premiere/After Effects?

Found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4LxXzPFWC4, that explains the process. Currently trying to write a sequence as I type this. I set the effect to -30 and that effectively flattened the image. Let's see what the final version looks like though.

Hope this helps

Bmews

Lens Correction profile is no longer on the DJI download page. It looks like you now have to download Adobe Air to be able to download the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader, to be able to download the FC200 Lens Profile (and they call this progress!?!?). You can choose to do that or I can send you the file when I get home.

Pull_Up said:
It's true. I really should get another one, format it in the camera, then just tuck it into a dark corner of the flight case for such eventualities.

Well then it would only be a matter of time before you used that card, removed it and started the whole vicious circle again!

jimdenburg said:
Pull_Up said:
It's true. I really should get another one, format it in the camera, then just tuck it into a dark corner of the flight case for such eventualities.

Well then it would only be a matter of time before you used that card, removed it and started the whole vicious circle again!

:D Gents, you can NEVER have enough memory cards! Any excuse. The MicroSD are great in the GO-Pro or the clones (good one from Lidl for those interested).

Bmews

BMEWS said:
jimdenburg said:

Found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4LxXzPFWC4, that explains the process. Currently trying to write a sequence as I type this. I set the effect to -30 and that effectively flattened the image. Let's see what the final version looks like though.

Hope this helps

Bmews

Thanks...I've done this and "eyeballed" it out with good results. I just couldn't figure out a way to incorporate the actual FC200 Lens Correction Profile into anything but Phsotoshop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31