First flight over water

Reaction score
Bit the bullet and took my p3a a mile over the North Sea to a small island and I'm so pleased I did as the water looked so clean and blue around the island .

Heart was in my mouth the whole way and had sweaty hands lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Wish I had nice places like that to fly!

Reactions: pete76uk
Great job, excellent video....very brave. I've heard flying over water can play havoc, is this true?

Great job, excellent video....very brave. I've heard flying over water can play havoc, is this true?

If you're flying relatively low over water, it's generally recommended to turn off the Visual Positioning System since the uniform surface can be very confusing to it. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as flying over land; if something happens, you're probably screwed either way. :p

If you can get on top of something like a hill or even a platform, you should be able to get pretty good range over the water given the lack of things to obstruct the signal. Just remember: when a jetski comes at you, duck!

Lol, Try and do a 40,000ft over water my yesterday's flight.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you're flying relatively low over water, it's generally recommended to turn off the Visual Positioning System since the uniform surface can be very confusing to it. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as flying over land; if something happens, you're probably screwed either way. :p

If you can get on top of something like a hill or even a platform, you should be able to get pretty good range over the water given the lack of things to obstruct the signal. Just remember: when a jetski comes at you, duck!
You lost me in the first sentence.

You lost me in the first sentence.

Sorry about that - basically, the VPS likes to see things underneath it that are distinct, like a rug or a tile floor. On surfaces like water where everything looks the same*, it can get confused and could lead to an unforseen accident. There's a section on it in the VPS page in the manual.

* granted, water can look different when there are whitecaps, but at that point the wind is already 10-12 miles per hour and you should think about whether you really want to be flying in that kind of wind...

Reactions: Kdogman
Your drone doesn't know if it's flying over friendly, fluffy marshmallows or saltwater infested with sharks with frickin lasers attached to their heads; it just knows it's flying.

Some of the best views in the world involve water, plus I always seem to get way more range over San Francisco Bay than I do over San Francisco. (I'm sure there's a technical reason for that.)

I love flying "feet-wet."

I still get the shakes sometimes, too.

Reactions: pete76uk
Sorry about that - basically, the VPS likes to see things underneath it that are distinct, like a rug or a tile floor. On surfaces like water where everything looks the same*, it can get confused and could lead to an unforseen accident. There's a section on it in the VPS page in the manual.

* granted, water can look different when there are whitecaps, but at that point the wind is already 10-12 miles per hour and you should think about whether you really want to be flying in that kind of wind...
Thanks mate,I really need to study up a bit....some much to learn on the technical side of things.

Yes, radio range can be much better over water because one of the issues especially in a crowded area is the Wifi polution. So one way to get maximum range is to avoid lots of communications signals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers