First Flight over water

Reaction score
Still a tad sweaty for my first flight out of the back yard. Went to Lake Michigan and without a hitch....the Phantom4 worked perfect over water.......shrew.

I think if your high enough up it will not sense the water. If you get real close to it like 10 feet it might be a problem that the sensor cant tell if it is water or land

I fly over water most of the time and it is nerve-racking almost every time. Especially over the ocean when it is a little windy. If it was to fall out of the sky, then there is no way I could recover it. I think this is the biggest fear.

Sent from my SM-N920I using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think if your high enough up it will not sense the water. If you get real close to it like 10 feet it might be a problem that the sensor cant tell if it is water or land
...laser, as per DJI, VPS is active to 10m (approx 32ft), theres also the OSD Indicator...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Never had any issues flying close to the water

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do all my long range flights over water at altitudes between 30' and 400' and never had an issue.

Last weekend I did some recording of my grandkits on the beach and had the P4 hovering for more than 5 minutes at 3 feet over the water to film the beach action. No problem at all.

So under 32 feet over water how does she react
...Laser, not sure, as per DJI the VPS Could Become Confused with the Waters (moving) Surface,, but there will Always be someone
that says.. '..I do it Alll the Time.. and Never have a Problem..' and there are some who Put Tape over the Sensors.. its your
baby.. fly it anyway you'd like... read the forums.. Many Many People UpDate Firmware and Never have a Problem and others
UpDate and Loose their Craft, their are several on this forum that have flown into swimming pools.. i'd rather be safe than sorry,
and i'm not real sure what the point is, flying low over water, case in point NoWheels498's video, if he hadn't said it was taken with
a drone.. it looks as if it were taken from a boat?????? unless that is the point.. kinda like Hold My Beer, Watch This..?
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

I do a lot of close water stuff and have dropped several P2s into the water from operator error. Just getting more careful. I just shot some low stuff on small river and had to get right off the water due to low hanging trees. But my first attempt it flew fine for a few yards and then stated to ascend under some trees which I was able to keep under but had to fight it, I landed and turned off the VPS and Obstacle avoidance. It must of not sense the water surface until ripples formed on the surface or a different angle of light reflecting off of it. I turned off Obstacle Avoid. in DJI Go and then backed out, switched to Litchi and turned off VPS there. Then you go as low as you dare. But I noticed today Litchi has a switch for both now, VPS and Obstacle Avoid. Great! I posted this video before but it show water skimming shots that even made me nervous, but I apologize for the video quality, I had wrong camera settings in several shots. As much as I have dunked my drones, I can't resist the low water shots.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers