First flight over sea

Sokol said:
gbshovel said:
Nice video !!

Sokol said:
I live on a lake so I took black pipe insulation split it longways , slipped it over the struts and taped it in three places. Looks good, flies good, weighs nothing and works like a charm

What you have here is a false sense of security. That thing will just flip over and float upside down at best.
every time I see this it makes me laugh a little.

Well, I'm glad I can provide you with a little laugh although you must be easily amused. As I matter of fact, as a test, I have landed it in the water near my dock and it will float, even though it is not very stable. In an uncontrolled landing, you are right...it would flip over. But it WILL float, even if it is upside down.Where would you rather have your gear...on the bottom? How is that a false sense of security?

Don't take the knuckleheads on here personally. Everyone on here likes to criticize everything. If they keep it afloat then that's great. A floating upside-down phantom is still better than a sunk phantom.

Thanks.....Every forum I've ever been on has them.....I don't take it personally. I felt exactly what you said.....it might be wet but I've still got it. Anyone with any sense at all would know that for it to be stable and float continuously, the floats would have to be two feet long, at least.

And that would add weight...

One of the best quotes I've heard on here was "The phantom doesn't know it's over water". I thought that was pretty good.

After my loss (although some very mice mussel farmers dredged up my GoPro after it was under the sea for three months - still works perfectly, by the way!) I am nervous as hell of going over water. However, I'm the only nervous one! Cold sweats until it's back in the hand again!

By the way, the loss of P1 was totally my fault - broken prop, didn't check it after a fall.

I think that if sea water gets anywhere near a phantom, it's toast even if you do retrieve it.

C

u7ubety7.jpg

I plan on making flotation similar to the picture. So pretty much 4 legs with flotation balls on the ends. I think this design will be quite stable and shouldn't resist too much wind. Just gotta make sure it's light enough and is not viewable from the camera.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

u7ubety7.jpg

I plan on making flotation similar to the picture. So pretty much 4 legs with flotation balls on the ends. I think this design will be quite stable and shouldn't resist too much wind. Just gotta make sure it's light enough and is not viewable from the camera.

Just a quick question. Does ATTI mode work out of the box? Or do I need to change the settings for the phantom and remote? I read that shooting videos with ATTI enabled will be more stable.

Sokol said:
Well, I'm glad I can provide you with a little laugh although you must be easily amused. As I matter of fact, as a test, I have landed it in the water near my dock and it will float, even though it is not very stable. In an uncontrolled landing, you are right...it would flip over. But it WILL float, even if it is upside down.Where would you rather have your gear...on the bottom? How is that a false sense of security?

Agreed. The thing will probably be upside down, but at least it can be recovered, rinsed and broken parts replaced.

I've ordered the Getterback rod recovery capsule for my P2V for the same reason. I know it'll be ten feet underwater, but at least there's no tearful goodbye followed by a tequila shot bender.

marathon-boats.com said:
u7ubety7.jpg

There is a video somewhere I saw (cant find link now) where a guy did just what your picture shows .. they used 4x plastic drink bottles as the floats connected to the struts at an angle just like you have shown, they tested and worked !! ... but to me did look little wobbly on landing on water :).

marathon-boats.com said:
Just a quick question. Does ATTI mode work out of the box? Or do I need to change the settings for the phantom and remote? I read that shooting videos with ATTI enabled will be more stable.

yep ATTi works out of the box ...

Well, it works out of the box once you have read up on all the wrinkles in changing from standard Vision mode (switch selections, option of IOC, etc), connected your aircraft to the Vision Assistant software, changed from Vision mode to NAZAM mode, confirmed the allocation you want for third position on S1 (atti, failsafe or manual), had a read up on the different LED signals you will now get compared to the standard mode and then fly.

Apart from all that, it works out of the box. ;)

(In standard Vision mode you can't override GPS mode - the only way it will fly in atti in stock Vision mode is if it can't find any satellites - e.g. indoors)

Yep, I connected the phantom to the vision assistant software, changed from vision mode to nazam mode. Took it out on a flight and played around with ATTI mode, and also HL and CL. One thing I also tried was switching off the RC during a flight to test the return to home mode and it did return to home, but before it was about to land I switched the remote back on and tried to gain control again but it wouldn't. Any idea what I should do to regain control? I did that coz I was curious on what if I was in the middle of the sea and lost tx to the phantom, and need to regain control.

When you switch on the transmitter again, try flipping the S1 switch from up to middle and back to up to break the RTH cycle. This is how you can regain control if you fly out of control range and trigger a RTH, rather than do it manually. Once it's come back towards you a little and back in range, flipping the S1 between upper and middle (or GPS and ATTI) will tell the aircraft you've got it back and it should stop the RTH.

In NAZAM mode you can set the third position of S1 to be "failsafe" (i.e. RTH), so as well as operating if you go out of range or switch off the transmitter you can flip S1 all the way down. Just need to be careful not to do it by accident in an inappropriate situation, as the first thing it will do is climb straight up to 20 metres... :shock:

I was also waiting for the prop into the face at the end... :shock: I'd bring it in higher next time so it can be caught at arms length, and downwind, so any gusts will naturally blow it away from the catcher rather than towards.

Other than that, all that water certainly would have given me major pucker factor! I don't even like flying over the river, let alone open sea. You got some cajones!

marathon-boats.com said:
Hi guys,

Been following the forums for a month or so, but finally signed up today.

Yesterday was the first time I took my stock P2V out to sea to take some photos and video of a boat we just launched.

Taking off was easy. Controlling the drone wasn't easy at all from the boat. There were gusty winds and the swell was quite big. I had a spare battery and my plan was to take photos with the first battery, then change to the spare battery for a video shoot, but because of the condition I only used one battery for both photos and video. Landing was a challenge, due to the strong winds and waves. Took me two attempts to get it right.

Well here's the video if you guys wanna watch. It's not the best quality but I'm quite happy it being my first attempt. Just need to get the Dronexpert gimbal now.

http://youtu.be/Z0jEW5ao1dc

Cheers,

Brian
Great video man I love it

marathon-boats.com said:
u7ubety7.jpg

I'm interested in finding out if this concept was ever employed and if so, how it worked. I was thinking about upgrading to longer/wider landing gear, either the 4-posts or the 2-posts with t-skids, and fixing styrofoam balls in each corner. I would think with the right length in the legs and float-size, it might create a stable situation for a water landing and at the very least, keep it from sinking to the bottom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20