First flight over sea

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been following the forums for a month or so, but finally signed up today.

Yesterday was the first time I took my stock P2V out to sea to take some photos and video of a boat we just launched.

Taking off was easy. Controlling the drone wasn't easy at all from the boat. There were gusty winds and the swell was quite big. I had a spare battery and my plan was to take photos with the first battery, then change to the spare battery for a video shoot, but because of the condition I only used one battery for both photos and video. Landing was a challenge, due to the strong winds and waves. Took me two attempts to get it right.

Well here's the video if you guys wanna watch. It's not the best quality but I'm quite happy it being my first attempt. Just need to get the Dronexpert gimbal now.

http://youtu.be/Z0jEW5ao1dc

Cheers,

Brian

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Hi Brian and welcome.

Woohooo great video, must have been fun.
Must also have been very difficult with the boat bumping up and down like that.
And yes with a Gimbal it would be way better, but still you did a great job.
I would have liked to see the boat from the side also passing the the Phantom and then follow from behind. And maybe from above the boat also. Maybe next time :D

That was excellent for first time out! Very cool.

Thanks fellas.

Can't wait for the next shoot. Will start shooting from the side and rear. Just gotta keep practising. My only concern when out at sea is if the RTH triggers itself for some reason hahahaa...

marathon-boats.com said:
Thanks fellas.

Can't wait for the next shoot. Will start shooting from the side and rear. Just gotta keep practising. My only concern when out at sea is if the RTH triggers itself for some reason hahahaa...

you might consider pontoons or some kind of floation added - you're pushing that Phantom into hazard duty...

marathon-boats.com said:
Thanks fellas.

A valid concern. The good news is that out at sea your controller should have approx 1 mile range. As long as you are within VLOS of the P2V you should not have a problem. Also, when P2V is flying back to home in RTH, it's top speed (wind aside) is about 12 to 14 mph. Basically, as long as it is within visual range, any hiccup that causes RTH (for example if you accidentally power the controller off), regain control by toggle S1. If for some reason that fails, you will be able to catch it in the boat (as long as the boat can do better than 14mph. To be extra safe, might want to set a waypoint on the boat nav where you takeoff, you should be able to get back before it lands in the water.

marathon-boats.com said:
Well here's the video if you guys wanna watch. It's not the best quality but I'm quite happy it being my first attempt. Just need to get the Dronexpert gimbal now.

http://youtu.be/Z0jEW5ao1dc

Welcome and congrats on the video AND recovery of the PV. One of the primary reasons I bought in on the PV was to shoot water-based videos and stills. Unfortunately, it's still frozen tundra here so I have to bide my time for now.
Here is the closest I have come to getting on the water....

Attachments

• Iceline.jpeg
    Iceline.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 427
  • NoBoatingToday.jpeg
    NoBoatingToday.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 491
  • BlueWater.jpeg
    BlueWater.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 492
Thanks guys...

I had an idea today to mount a GoPro Hero3+ to the P2V. This will allow me to take photos and video simultaneously. The Vision will be for the video, and the GP3+ for the photos. This will also make sure that I don't miss out on any moments for good footage of the boats.

Check out the photos. Simple mod, and works quite well. The Phantom becomes less agile but thats something I gotta get used to. Can't wait to test it over the big blue sea again...

Cheers,

Brian

Attachments

• 2014-01-30 14.19.34.jpg
    2014-01-30 14.19.34.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 394
  • 2014-01-30 14.18.28.jpg
    2014-01-30 14.18.28.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 411
You got some nice shots out there. You are brave flying in those conditions but hey why not, you have to to get the shots. The fisheye lens quickly makes thing look tiny in the picture. Bring it in close as you dare so that the boat fills the screen and those shots will be incredible. Last but not least I would have liked to have seen the recovery of the phantom in the clip.

Your first photo showing the addition of the go pro fooled me :) I thought what the heck has he mounted it on, then I realised it was the canopy of the boat :roll: Looks a neat solution. Photos should be fine from it.

I live on a lake so I took black pipe insulation split it longways , slipped it over the struts and taped it in three places. Looks good, flies good, weighs nothing and works like a charm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 381
Sokol said:
I live on a lake so I took black pipe insulation split it longways , slipped it over the struts and taped it in three places. Looks good, flies good, weighs nothing and works like a charm

It doesn't look like enough material to keep the entire weight of the Phantom buoyant though.

Nice video !!

Sokol said:

What you have here is a false sense of security. That thing will just flip over and float upside down at best.
every time I see this it makes me laugh a little.

marathon-boats.com said:
Thanks guys...

I had an idea today to mount a GoPro Hero3+ to the P2V. This will allow me to take photos and video simultaneously. The Vision will be for the video, and the GP3+ for the photos. This will also make sure that I don't miss out on any moments for good footage of the boats.

Check out the photos. Simple mod, and works quite well. The Phantom becomes less agile but thats something I gotta get used to. Can't wait to test it over the big blue sea again...

Cheers,

Brian
If you use a GoPro tripod mount with a short 1/4-20 bolt to attach it to the Plexiglas it might save some weight.

gbshovel said:
Nice video !!

Sokol said:

What you have here is a false sense of security. That thing will just flip over and float upside down at best.
every time I see this it makes me laugh a little.

Well, I'm glad I can provide you with a little laugh although you must be easily amused. As I matter of fact, as a test, I have landed it in the water near my dock and it will float, even though it is not very stable. In an uncontrolled landing, you are right...it would flip over. But it WILL float, even if it is upside down.Where would you rather have your gear...on the bottom? How is that a false sense of security?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl