Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

First Flight of P2Z

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by RickD, Apr 2, 2014.

1. RickD

Hi all...I have had a P2V for a few months and have just purchased a P2Z and took it out for my first flight today. The flight went well except the P2Z seemed some what unstable compared to the P2V. I calibrated the compass and flew with no GoPro Wi-Fi. I was flying on a high school football field and took off from grass. I had GPS flashing green and S1 was in the GPS mode. I have iOSD mini FPV and I was receiving telemetry data. There was a breeze but nothing compared to what I have flown the P2V in. I was able to hold stable altitude but horizontal x-y axis was eratic, going as much as 20 feet from side to side at times. I purchased this rig from Atlanta Hobby who did a test flight before I picked it up. I have not gone into the Phantom Assistant software yet and I have not upgraded any firmware. Any suggestions as to what is going on?

This is an awesome forum and all of you who contribute are a tremendous resource for this "hobby". Thanks to all!

2. hook3m

Is the weight evenly distributed? I also started out with a P2V and noticed with just the P2 gimbal and GoPro it was forward heavy and didn't take off straight up but flew forward a bit. Then when it went into a hover it would drift back to compensate. Once I added the FPV gear in the rear it straightened it up.

3. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Do an advanced IMU calibration and make sure you're doing the compass calibration outside in an open space with no metal around (ideally a field). Also, check calibration of all your controls in the Phantom Assistant. If that doesn't help, check your gains. If their not stock, try switching them to stock.