First flight.... Of any RC flying machine

Reaction score
So I was able to do my first flight today and it was a blast! It flew exactly as advertised and super easy. I have never flown any RC flying thing before, and I was able to pick it up and fly it confidently (helped to be on a large soccer field). I found a field suitable to fly in, calibrated the compass, then set it down and let it go through the imu warmup and gps searching. It really didn't take any time at all, so I was very pleased. I throttled up and did a bit of tinkering and was quickly flying about. I did have a small issue landing the first time, I didn't realize once you touchdown, you need to hold the throttle fully down, so once I touched down I let off and it tried to maintain that altitude and ended up falling over. No harm and it was quickly flying again. I'm going to get some flight time on my belt, then start filming with the zenmuse and gh3+. My fiance filmed a bit of it with my Nikon so I could post a first flight video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNTY1ibqpQY[/youtube]

Oops... youtube editing went crazy. It should fix the extreme yellow saturation in a little bit... just waiting on youtube to fix it

Congrats! Were you nervous at all? I am about to get mine this month and have this weird fear that it will fly away and never come back (my luck anyway). You sound so excited in your video, lol. Like a kid at Christmas. I'm sure I will sound pretty much the same :D

pokercop said:
Congrats! Were you nervous at all? I am about to get mine this month and have this weird fear that it will fly away and never come back (my luck anyway). You sound so excited in your video, lol. Like a kid at Christmas. I'm sure I will sound pretty much the same :D

I'll be nervous for a few more flights about flyaways, but I'm not nervous at all about the actual flying. For the most part if you get in trouble, just mash the throttle and gain altitude (unless you are in the trees or something). I almost put it into the ground by the goal post... but remembered the saying "when in doubt, throttle out!" and was just fine.

Congrats and welcome to RC and the P2 :)

It's going to be incredibly difficult to fight the temptation of mounting the GoPro for my first few flights. .. Dying to shoot aerial footage but not about to lose my GoPro thanks to being inexperienced

I'm waiting on my GoPro to come in, then I'm going to install the Zenmuse and check functionality but I will probably wait for a couple more flights to actually fly with it. I'm worried that my Zenmuse may be screwed up, but we will see on Thursday

Thanks. I like to think I have pretty good reflexes and as long as I'm not flying it right off the ground, I got room to make errors and learn from my mistakes.These things are really easy to fly!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers