Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

First flight observations

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by bbfpv, May 2, 2015.

1. bbfpv

Took it to a park last night and I have to say this thing flies sooo much better than the V+! Rock solid hover, crisp reaction to the sticks, and camera performance even on auto in the dark was outstanding. The active braking is really noticible, especially when making aggressive movements and makes this thing surprisingly nimble. The app is really nice in flight. I did find a bug where after changing one of the camera settings (can't remember which), I lost the live feed and had to go back into settings and toggle the setting again, but other than that I didn't experience any issues like some others have mentioned.

One thing I noticed was the descent speed seems to be much higher than what is advertised, and it appears to be from the braking. Quick full throttle down and you can actually hear the props slow down and the bird falls accordingly. Granted this was from about 20ft up and could be because it starts to rely on the sensors and can thus cut more power to the motors, but it definitely drops quickly. Any one else notice this?

Only took it out to about 1500ft because of my surroundings, but rock solid feed even behind some tall trees. Overall this thing is sick! The one battery thing is gonna be brutal though!

Fplvert, Apparition and Meta4 like this.
  2. Mikee

Sweet.............. can't wait for mine to arrive

3. n6vmo

4. ELHEAPO

How much are the spare batteries gonna be?

5. 4wd

4wd

£120 in the UK, I guess around $150

6. UKFlyer

I just pre-ordered the P3 Pro with extra battery from Buzzflyer, the extra battery was £80. The question is if the extra battery will come with the P3 or not, not too fussed either way. :)

7. ebfoxbat

I noticed this too. A bit too quick. I don't have the heart to find out if VRS would cause a free-fall.

8. VoicOfReason

I was actually crossing my fingers that descent speed would be increased and I'm SO glad that it is. I hated how long it took for the Phantom 2 to get to the ground, so much wasted battery and time!

nhoover likes this.
  9. ebfoxbat

Too fast a vertical descent can cause loss of lift...

10. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

According to the DJI website specs, descent speed is now 3 m/s (50% faster)
    But they list the ascent speed as 5 m/s (the P2 series were 6 m/s)
    Not sure if these numbers are correct - they have had a few typos.
    Can you new flyers check actual vertical speed (v.s.at centre of the bottom of the app) to see what the P3 is really doing?
    50% better descent would be good to have .. easy enough to have a little horizontal component when you're coming down to stay safe.

11. leekiya

would that not be ware the braking came in maybe, i know nothing on this as yet but am happy to hear it comes down a bit faster as i have all ways come down very slow once i hear prop wash.

12. Buzz313th

The reduced ascent rate is to get more from the battery... The slow descent rate is to avoid "Vortex Ring State" which would cause a lot of user called uncontrolled descents and possibly cost DJI money in Warrantee claims.

13. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The braking is about slowing the motors rapidly - not slowing the Phantom's falling.
    It has an effect on lots of aspects of flight because the motors & props can change speed rapidly.

DJI already made your P2 come down very slowly - there shouldn't be any need to go even slower.

14. Buzz313th

Rotor braking is about giving the flight control system quicker response (Less control latency).

The quads are inherently unstable aircraft, even more so than a conventional helicopter because of gyroscopic forces. The quads flight control system is modulating power output at the motors to maintain commanded attitude. It accomplishes this by evaluating flight parameters at some ridiculous rate and then correcting at the same rate (800Hz) Without rotor braking, the control pulses are only positive (Increase RPM)... By introducing control braking the quad now has the ability to control prop acceleration and deceleration.. It helps by saving battery power and reduces micro oscillations control loop feedback.

15. leekiya

Yea i see what your saying. Its just a fc40 a fly at the moment so you can imagine how excited i am to get the new P3. LOL Im still shooting in 720p and making the return home journey after 4 mins so things are going to change massively for me. I do have a good long range FPV set up but thats about it.LOL

16. Prylar Bek

Really? What warranty claims has DJI EVER paid? Please

17. Buzz313th

Obviously not yours... But I will guarantee they have paid out or replaced drones and or parts for both defects and ignorant operators...

18. blade strike

Tons.. Show what you know..

They have replaced many inspires on .14 , there was a serious issue in that release. If the logs showed the failure it was replaced..

All new craft will have data logging, both on the craft and tablet.

People really need to learn that dji over the last year has done leaps and bounds in support. Are they perfect? No but they will continue to improve.

manofword and Buzz313th like this.
  19. Prylar Bek

OK, well I stand corrected. I hope that I never have a warranty issue!

20. Txtwostep

I just did a test flight on my P3P. I can confirm the DJI specs listed as 5 m/s ascent speed and 3 m/s descent speed. My app showed 11.2 mph max ascent and 6.9 mph descent speeds as I was using imperial units.