First flight nerves

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and this is my first phantom but while I've had it 2 weeks I have only messed about in the back garden because it has been very windy and I don't want to take any risks with my first flight.
Can someone tell me what is the maximum wind speed you can fly a phantom 4 ? As to me when I fly it to about 30 metres it does not look steady in the wind and I panic therefore bring it back down to about 2 metres.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The P4 is a beast in the wind. I just flew the other day and I launched in a valley and sent the bird up to a ridge line. It was a little gusty when I took off but I decided to fly anyway. When I downloaded my flight logs later I discovered the average wind speed was 36 mph and highest gust was 44 mph. Looking at the video you would think there was no wind at all.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Even though the Phantom 4 is excellent in strong wind environments it sounds like you should wait for calmer days and learn to fly confidently before bringing it out in the wind. Don't try and outfly your skills. If you are nervous, then panic can take over if something out of the ordinary happens (a warning in the app, etc) and who knows what could happen then. I'd fly in good weather until you are comfortable, but yes, the Phantom does very well in windy conditions.

yes P4 is pretty good in any environment, but i would stay away from the trees area on the windy day.

Can someone tell me what is the maximum wind speed you can fly a phantom 4?
In the Phantom manual, DJI recommends not flying in wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s (22 MPH). While the Phantom can technically fly in wind speeds higher than that, here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Your Phantom won't be as steady, so the video footage might not be as smooth.
  • If your Phantom is flying into the wind on the way back to the home point, it's going to take longer than usual for it to return.
  • When flying in ATTI mode, it's going to be tougher to control your Phantom in high winds.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20