First flight, need more air time :) (battery)

Reaction score
Hello, had my first flight today and i loved it, but i wanted more time! Any recomend extra battery's and stores to buy from ? Seen several on ebay but dont know what to buy! What is max for the fc40 and standard charger!

Stipa said:
Hello, had my first flight today and i loved it, but i wanted more time! Any recomend extra battery's and stores to buy from ? Seen several on ebay but dont know what to buy! What is max for the fc40 and standard charger!

Depends on a lot of factors. Assume 12-15 minutes initially. Less if it is cold. That will drop if you later add weight / power needs such as a gimbal (which you probably will one day).

I get about 9 minutes now with my Walkera 2D gimbal installed, which is why I have OEM 3 batteries. First charge on the batteries takes a looong time (about 6 hours in my case), but later charges take just a little over an hour.

It is possible to buy larger / longer lasting batteries but you might need to widen the door to allow them to fit.

Best of luck!

houldsworth1 said:
Stipa said:

It is possible to buy larger / longer lasting batteries but you might need to widen the door to allow them to fit.

Best of luck!

OR add a battery carrier to the sides or rear of the FC40 .. Trouble is its a balancing act bigger battery = more weight = less fly time .. I use 2700mah on a rear carrier with a 2d gimbal and get 9 minutes max - without the gimbal maybe 11 minutes ..
Just buy more 2200 or 2500 s ( they fit inside still ) and be happy with 10-12 minutes per battery ..

Thanks, yeah was thinking to buy more battery's so i just land and change them! You have several original phanthom 2200 or other battery's and where you buy from?
Experience with bronto xt60 2700?

there is the turnigy 4000mah battery, i got myself an overlander 2900mah battery which seems good both around £28

houldsworth1 said:
Stipa said:

Depends on a lot of factors. Assume 12-15 minutes initially. Less if it is cold. That will drop if you later add weight / power needs such as a gimbal (which you probably will one day).

I get about 9 minutes now with my Walkera 2D gimbal installed, which is why I have OEM 3 batteries. First charge on the batteries takes a looong time (about 6 hours in my case), but later charges take just a little over an hour.

Best of luck!

one quick question why do you get less time from a battery if its a cold day?

I just received this battery today. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html
It will fit inside the FC40 shell with extensive moding to the door, opening and inner tray. The stock door will close with the XT60 plug connection made outside. I am really excited about this battery as it flew 25 minutes before red light and 27 minutes before auto land. This was all in high wind with 9450 props and guards. The battery weighed in at 325 grams which is less than the 2 stock batteries in parallel.

Ramz said:
I just received this battery today. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html
It will fit inside the FC40 shell with extensive moding to the door, opening and inner tray. The stock door will close with the XT60 plug connection made outside. I am really excited about this battery as it flew 25 minutes before red light and 27 minutes before auto land. This was all in high wind with 9450 props and guards. The battery weighed in at 325 grams which is less than the 2 stock batteries in parallel.

HOW MUCH MODDING IS REQUIRED AND HAVE YOU ANY PICS, AS IM VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. 25MINS IS AMAZING HAVE YOU A GIMBAL AND GOPRO ATTACHED OR JUST STOCK FC40 CAM?

ELHEAPO said:
Ramz said:

HOW MUCH MODDING IS REQUIRED AND HAVE YOU ANY PICS, AS IM VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. 25MINS IS AMAZING HAVE YOU A GIMBAL AND GOPRO ATTACHED OR JUST STOCK FC40 CAM?

No pictures but here is a quick and crappy YouYube video I just made. http://youtu.be/yhhnJ_Tocb8 Notice the .25" spacers under the main and receiver board. Just use some plastic tubing cut to 1/4" and some longer screws. Look how easy the battery install is even with one hand. Sorry about the quality and having the camera in portrait. No GoPro just FC40 camera.

that is great think you have inspired me do do a bit of modding myself for 25 mins battery life its seems well worth it,thanks ramz.

To the OP....change the stock FC 40 props for some original DJI 9443 props and you should gain about 2+ minutes more flight time.
Many people on these forums have made the change already.

No pictures but here is a quick and crappy YouYube video I just made. http://youtu.be/yhhnJ_Tocb8 Notice the .25" spacers under the main and receiver board. Just use some plastic tubing cut to 1/4" and some longer screws. Look how easy the battery install is even with one hand. Sorry about the quality and having the camera in portrait. No GoPro just FC40 camera.
Ramz

Ramz, have you made any videos that are other than "quick and crappy YouYube videos" that give more detail of the mod?? :D
Interested in the spacers you suggest and why you had to install them. Very hard to see in the video.

Thanks,

Les

ABLE1 said:
Ramz

Ramz, have you made any videos that are other than "quick and crappy YouYube videos" that give more detail of the mod?? :D
Interested in the spacers you suggest and why you had to install them. Very hard to see in the video.

Thanks,

Les

Hi ABLE1
It really is as described and so easy. Just raise the boards enough to clear the larger battery after enlarging the battery door opening. Look inside your FC40 through battery opening and compare to the beginning of my paused video. You can easily see the difference. I should have snapped some pictures as I just had the Phantom apart to replace all motor bearings. Be aware Hobby King has 2 different 3s 5200 Multistar. The one I got was the short 108mm not the long skinny one.

My flight times have increased by nearly 3 minutes (11-12 minutes now vs 8-9 minutes previously) since I removed the prop guards and changed to flying predominantly in Atti mode rather than GPS (getting more confident now!) - I'm guessing the Atti mode is the major contributor to the extra flight time as it drifts nicely rather than GPS using juice to hold it steady.

I second the newer props for a quick cheap way to improve flight times. I gained approximately an extra 2 mins flight time (13 vs 11 mins) with the 9450 (the new ones on the vision plus version 3). Not only will you gain added flight time you will gain more speed and maneuverability. When DJI refers to the new blades as thrust boosted they aren't kidding. It is slightly more unstable when descending (more prop wash) so take it slow and easy while landing/descending

beazo said:
My flight times have increased by nearly 3 minutes (11-12 minutes now vs 8-9 minutes previously) since I removed the prop guards and changed to flying predominantly in Atti mode rather than GPS (getting more confident now!) - I'm guessing the Atti mode is the major contributor to the extra flight time as it drifts nicely rather than GPS using juice to hold it steady.

I would say the removing of the prop guards is the major contributor to the extra flight time.
They cost an easy 2-3 minutes of air time.

I didn't realise the prop guards would make such a difference, they seem so light!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1