First Flight - Lake Tuggeranong Canberra Australia

Reaction score
Since I've now been a member here for a couple of minutes, I thought I should introduce myself.
I've flown 3ch and - not very successfully 4ch - helis, but loved quads since the first one I saw.

I've just had to buy my Ex out of my house, so thought I'd give myself a divorce present to take her place, and bought myself a CF Phantom 2 with FPV, H3 3D Gimbal, Go Pro Hero 4 Black, 3 batteries and carry case etc all as a package deal from Michael at Just Hobbies in Campbelltown in Sydney. Drove up from Canberra to get it, as the hobby shops in Canberra seem to think quads are a novelty and don't take them seriously.

After all the family duties were done on Christmas Morning, I had the afternoon free so took the quad for its first ever flight (well, a 1 minute hover in the backyard was strictly speaking the FIRST flight, but it didn't really count to me).
Here's the video if anyone is interested. Don't worry if you have sound on, the wind and blade noise gets replaced with music after a few seconds.

http://youtu.be/3PJ3rkN9OL4

Hey,
Welcome to the mad house.
Not sure why your upload to youtube was not in HD but matters not really.
Take some advice from us in the know ok....
Be careful with your P2, there seems to be more and more people having thier birds fall out of the sky for no apparent reason. From what I have worked out after my bird was hovering and just shut down in a split second is that I agree with others suggesting there is a serious problem with the DJI batteries. So far I have spoken to 7 others and they all described the exact same symptoms I had with mine.
In case you want to see how it all happens in the blink of an eye, watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nLXBDzx7qg

I uploaded it in SD to try and cut down on the size. At almost 8 minutes, in most HD formats it was massive. Uploading half a gig wouldn't make me too popular with those that want to then watch the video :)
These stories worry me. I'm already afraid to go over water or to where I wouldn't be able to get to to recover it, and yet you'd think it would be safe. WIth self-tightening blades, and not too many obstacles up in the sky, so short of a bird of prey deciding it was invading its territory, you'd think it would be safe to fly around and expect to get back in one piece. Mysterious fly-aways, and dropping from the sky for no apparent reason, do make me a bit nervous. I'm not made of money, and replacing this unit fully, just may not be possible for me if it is lost totally. So now I'll be even more reluctant to go over water etc. Oh well. Live dangerously I guess, or buy a waterproof upgrade to it all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers