First flight jitters

I always hand catch - my V+ has never been landed. Just one minor note of caution - make sure the aircraft is downwind of you - that way if there is a gust, it will blow away from you.

For practising your flying skills, I would recommend going through the steps in the training guide on the download page of DJI's website. Get yourself some boxes (I used pieces of wood) to act as markers so you can practise flying to them and then stopping over them. The down facing camera is good for this.

Gradually increase your distance and you'll be fine. When you get a bit of experience, fly through the goalposts (make sure there's no net in there first, though!).

As for flying over water, remember the phantom doesn't know it is over water! Only you do. These things are pretty amazing and I think that the best shots come from flying over water - gives a totally different perspective.

And ALWAYS make sure you have home point recorded by seeing the second set of rapid flashing green lights. This won't happen until you have clear sight of 6 satellites. The first set of rapid greens only acknowledge that the craft knows which direction it is pointing in.

Enjoy!

SSR99 said:
Does anyone hand catch their Visions to land? Seems a bit tricky....
There is no logical reason why you would want to catch the bird, so why should you want to do it then?? Just tril-seeking? Not a wise thought.[emoji6]

Meta4 said:
A lot of P2+ flyers catch their Phantoms.
It's the only safe way on some sites - long grass, uneven surface or on a boat and you have no risk of hurting the gimbal in a bad landing. I used to land my P2 but have never landed my P2+. I hand catch it every time.
Completely safe - put it in hover in front of you and walk toward it, preferably with rotors above eye height.
Grab landing skid, shut down left stick and hold the bird level until it shuts down.
I alway use my bird's bag/box as landing platform on long gras and stoff; so risky hand-catching is not needed;
Maybe the exception would be when you fly from a boat, but that is a risky advanture in itsself.

It might seem scary to someone that hasn't done it but having hand caught many times, I can assure you that it is not risky.
It is a plain vanilla routine activity.

Disagree. Dangerous. I use it only when landing conditions are bad. Easy enough to land it. Good pilotin skills

Prylar Bek said:
Disagree. Dangerous. I use it only when landing conditions are bad. Easy enough to land it. Good pilotin skills

I've caught since day one and with over 100 flights. And yes there are risk involved. Use prop guards to practice.
And like what Conner said, catch downwind, arms reach above your head looking at battery. Use lanyard to free your right hand.

In the newer firmware, you can just catch and hold still till the IMU thinks its landed. The props will turn off.
With the older, just have your left hand on throttle down.

Why I catch land..
The landing skids are poorly designed. Bad centre of gravity.
The payload is also fragile. The press fit shaft on the camera can only handle so much bounce landing. This results in the tilt and gimbal dance.
There is no clearance between camera and ground. A rock can damage your camera.
There is chance of loss of GPS which switches to ATTI drift without you knowing.
There is ground effects from prop wash.
There is chances of kids and animals and other obstructions.
Sometimes killing motor by CSC causes tip over.
It saves your props.
And bitches get wet when you catch it.

Hand catch is easy, but I always remind myself to keep my arm fully extended until the props stop turning. You can also reach the battery off switch with your thumb if you catch the bird by the right rear leg with your right hand.
There are also products out there to make landing more stable. :D

Well then, you have the range of opinions to guide you. Be proficient at both would be my hint and use either one as conditions dictate.

Thanks everyone..appreciate the answers. I will try the catch method....but carefully(;

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.