First flight in Naza Mode

Reaction score
Having made about 30 flights and got reasonably competent in Atti Mode. I thought it was about time I tried out this Naza M thing. So, I hooked the bird up to the Phantom 2 vision assistant and clicked the “Phantom” button.

I was greeted by and alert box that was basically trying to talk me out of doing it.

You shouldn't really be doing this unless you're a very experienced pilot etc. etc. blah, blah blah.

Anyway, I clicked the “yes” button only to be greeted by another “confirm” prompt

Are you really, really, really, really sure that you want to do this (yawn).

I finally got it into Naza mode and then carefully went through the various new options. I enabled the IOC; checked all the switch functions and was careful to select "Failsafe" and NOT “Manual” as the bottom option on the S1 switch.

It was a beautiful evening, So I took the bird outside; did my pre-flight checks and launched her from the back garden. I sent her out on a North-westerly heading, a direction I haven't flown before. I was running a bit of FPV boost using Taco-RC's excellent Vision+ Utility Pro, and was about 3500 feet out at 400 feet altitude. when I noticed that I was approaching some sort of electrical facility.

Then my video stream froze and I lost my wi-fi connection (probably due to all the electrical fuzz being emitted).

Oh n-o-o-o-o! I wailed. I have never lost FPV before only the control link, so, I almost panicked. Then I remembered my pilot training and let go of the sticks. I took a deep breath and then it dawned on me that I was in Naza mode. So, I clicked the S2 switch to “Course Lock” and pulled down the right hand stick, and a few seconds later FPV returned and all was well. So, I'm liking this Naza Mode, I'm liking it a lot.

I flew back in “Atti” and got her up to 45 mph (Yeeeeeeehaw! :cool: ). I don't think that Naza mode is anything to be scared of at all. The extra features can be very handy if you know how to use them.

I am really looking forward to my next Naza flight. No more “kiddie mode” for me, folks.

Attachments

• ElectricityStation.jpg
    ElectricityStation.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 839
Well congrats on the flight and welcome to NAZA! I have to say lucky for you, you didn't deviate from the center grid line of your course grid. If you had, it would not have returned as nicely as you expected in CL. What you really wanted in this case was HL IMHO.

You're right, BlackTracer, I was on a straight flight out. However, home lock is GPS dependant and I couldn't be sure that I hadn't lost my sat lock as well (no telemetry). Fortunately for me the control link was still active ;)

itchybeard said:
You're right, BlackTracer, I was on a straight flight out. However, home lock is GPS dependant and I couldn't be sure that I hadn't lost my sat lock as well (no telemetry). Fortunately for me the control link was still active ;)

I think both CL and HL rely on GPS. I could be wrong. I am about most things.

I know that when controller(Tx) loses signal the phantom will return home. But what happens when you lose FPV? Does the phantom return home? If you are not in Naza mode you will not be able to use Home Lock. So how do you bring it back without FPV if you are in Phantom mode?
I do not own a Phantom yet so obviously I have not encountered this problem.

liketogethigh said:
I know that when controller(Tx) loses signal the phantom will return home. But what happens when you lose FPV? Does the phantom return home? If you are not in Naza mode you will not be able to use Home Lock. So how do you bring it back without FPV if you are in Phantom mode?
I do not own a Phantom yet so obviously I have not encountered this problem.
If your in Phantom mode your only option is to turn off the controller and hope you have enough satellites connected for GPS to work, and you will also hope your home point was set. Once FPV re-establishes you can turn controller back on and toggle the S1 switch to take back control of the P2, or just let RTH bring it all the way back.

The loss of FPV just means your flying blind since the P2 is way out of line of sight for human eyes. The FPV is just "first person view" video feed from P2 camera back to your monitor.

Thanks for the quick response. One more question. Do you lose the radar when you loose FPV? I was thinking that I can use the orientation to turn the quad around and bring it back.

liketogethigh said:
Thanks for the quick response. One more question. Do you lose the radar when you loose FPV? I was thinking that I can use the orientation to turn the quad around and bring it back.
Don't know I'm a P2 operator with go pro not a V+. But I can guess when you lose video from phantom you also lose all telemetry data.

liketogethigh said:

Yes, Liketogethigh, when I lost FPV I lost my wifi connection to the bird, so I lost all telemetry as well including radar, and I have to tell you, it's quite scary. I'm glad I was in Naza mode.

itchybeard said:
I think the Phantom only needs to use its compass for CL, MRSpyder2U, but I'm sure one of the seasoned pilots will correct me if I'm wrong :)
You are correct. C/L is dependant on compass only to work and H/L is dependant on GPS to work correctly.

Considering the concern over electrical interference from that power plant, I really think the best coarse of action would have been to depend on GPS over the Phantom Compass ??

I think would have just triggered a RTH but that is me and how my mind works I guess. If it worked it meant the control was still established and if it was not it would have been triggered and already and on it's way home.

itchybeard said:
liketogethigh said:

Yes, Liketogethigh, when I lost FPV I lost my wifi connection to the bird, so I lost all telemetry as well including radar, and I have to tell you, it's quite scary. I'm glad I was in Naza mode.

I think you might be interested with this.
All the answers in ONE place.

THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23597

RIDETOEAT said:
Considering the concern over electrical interference from that power plant, I really think the best coarse of action would have been to depend on GPS over the Phantom Compass ??

I think would have just triggered a RTH but that is me and how my mind works I guess. If it worked it meant the control was still established and if it was not it would have been triggered and already and on it's way home.

I think the best course of action is the one that works, RIDETOEAT. CL worked for me, it got my bird out of trouble, so it was a good call on that occasion.

Fantomas said:
I think you might be interested with this.
All the answers in ONE place.

THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+

I already have a copy thanks, Fantomas, it's a very useful reference and I appreciate the time and effort that you've put into it. Well done!

I already have a copy thanks, Fantomas, it's a very useful reference and I appreciate the time and effort that you've put into it. Well done!

Helps me keep on going ... till the next update :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic