First Flight, First crash. What did I do wrong?

Reaction score
I literally did everything by the book and calibrated the compass before flight. I started takeoff in and empty parking lot (coordinates in google are 42.879312, -78.883090) and for some reason i get massive interference after take of and hover at like 10 ft and then it switched in atti mode. I skimmed the ground before it drifted then eventually rolling. At this point i turned the motor off and tried again this time using the box has a platform. Same thing happened. Im too afraid to even get out of beginner mode because I don't want it to go anywhere remotely out of sight. My question is, and it may be stupid, but does some asphalt have a metal or reflective compound in it that could be causing issues?

Asphalt usually does not contain metal. Were you flying near cars and/or did you calibrate the compass near a car or other magnetic metal objects?

Don't think it'll be the asphalt itself causing issues, more likely pipes in the ground our cars on the parking lot. Why not try calibrating and flying on that patch of lawn right to the northwest of the parking lot?

Did you have enough satellites at take off? I had something like that happen to me during my first flight and I made sure to do my IMU again and re-calibrate. I changed location after it happened and had no problems and after a few flights I came back to the original location and had no problems.

I literally did everything by the book and calibrated the compass before flight. I started takeoff in and empty parking lot (coordinates in google are 42.879312, -78.883090) and for some reason i get massive interference after take of and hover at like 10 ft and then it switched in atti mode. I skimmed the ground before it drifted then eventually rolling. At this point i turned the motor off and tried again this time using the box has a platform. Same thing happened. Im too afraid to even get out of beginner mode because I don't want it to go anywhere remotely out of sight. My question is, and it may be stupid, but does some asphalt have a metal or reflective compound in it that could be causing issues?
The massive interference is the clue. Frankly it really is irrelevant as to what is causing it, the simple answer is to move location. La Salle park for instance, or the large open space in Delaware Park? I've just been looking around the map area - no idea if these are any good, or if you can fly there, as I'm >3,000 miles away in England!

What Numone said. The fact that you got a "good" calibration and then the warning after you took off is the key. There is something at that location that is messing with the magnetic fields. The bird doesn't know this and just calibrates. Once you get out of the influence of that interference and the fields return to normal, the drone thinks that something has gone wrong and things go into the can. Keep trying at a few different locations until the problem doesn't occur then leave the calibration alone. You rarely, if ever, need to do a recalibration. Once the cal is good, you might get a warning at some locations because of some local material, etc. I get that when I start up my bird in the back of my SUV when I want to check out the camera settings. It goes away when I move out into the field where I plan to takeoff. If you get a warning on start up, your first action should be to move the bird, not recalibrate. Good luck.

By the way, while asphalt doesn't contain much if any metal,there could be a metal grid under it. Usually more common under concrete pads, but not impossible under the asphalt. Regardless, doesn't look like that lot should be high on your list of launch sites:rolleyes:

Asphalt usually does not contain metal. Were you flying near cars and/or did you calibrate the compass near a car or other magnetic metal objects?
Only my car was parked about 20ft away and I even turned it off to reduce any interference it would give off. But the calibration said it was successful. It did take a few tries tho and I noticed the higher I held the drone from the ground it got easier.
Don't think it'll be the asphalt itself causing issues, more likely pipes in the ground our cars on the parking lot. Why not try calibrating and flying on that patch of lawn right to the northwest of the parking lot?
It was filled with snow.
Did you have enough satellites at take off? I had something like that happen to me during my first flight and I made sure to do my IMU again and re-calibrate. I changed location after it happened and had no problems and after a few flights I came back to the original location and had no problems.
Yeah I did it said safe to fly, just went beserk after I hovered to get comfortable with the controls in real time.
The massive interference is the clue. Frankly it really is irrelevant as to what is causing it, the simple answer is to move location. La Salle park for instance, or the large open space in Delaware Park? I've just been looking around the map area - no idea if these are any good, or if you can fly there, as I'm >3,000 miles away in England!
Yeah I was going to try it there as well but i wanted a really good aerial view of the skyline and those locations are a bit boring at night. I'll try a new location though. After I change my pants...this crash kinda scared me lol

But the calibration said it was successful. It did take a few tries tho and I noticed the higher I held the drone from the ground it got easier.
What happened when it failed?

Yes, and.
"i get massive interference after take of and hover" You are saying you got an interference message, this wouldn't be compass, and less you got a compass type message?

Rod

What happened when it failed?
I would calibrate it then it'd say compass error, recalibrate.. or something like that in red in the usual spot where it says ready to fly. On the left side a "!" appeared with the message in yellow text that there was elecromagnetic interference intermittently... sorry im working strictly from memory

Reactions: TinoMills
For my first few flights, I flew off the top of the parking garage and used to get compass interference quite often. After talking to the maintenance guys, they remarked that there was a ton of iron rebar embedded in the concrete for the parking structure. I then moved to a open field and had no problem.

Reactions: TinoMills
For my first few flights, I flew off the top of the parking garage and used to get compass interference quite often. After talking to the maintenance guys, they remarked that there was a ton of iron rebar embedded in the concrete for the parking structure. I then moved to a open field and had no problem.
Most important, did you try to or not do compass calibrations there?
I assume that if you get a good compass calibration, in the norm leave it alone, put you phantom on the top of your car you should get an error, once your are in the air, everything should be good. I wouldn't try it but the point is a bad compass calibration is what cause the problems when your in the air not on the ground, I tend to fly above the ground.

Rod

I would calibrate it then it'd say compass error, recalibrate.. or something like that in red in the usual spot where it says ready to fly. On the left side a "!" appeared with the message in yellow text that there was elecromagnetic interference intermittently
That usually means you're in a location where there is magnetic metal objects in the ground (or on your person). When you see that message, always move elsewhere before attempting to calibrate your compass again.

That usually means you're in a location where there is magnetic metal objects in the ground (or on your person). When you see that message, always move elsewhere before attempting to calibrate your compass again.
I'll try getting rid of some stuff during calibration, I tried to keep the phone near because I had to re initiate it multiple times.
You should not launch, land, and/or fly near magnetic metal objects.
In the app it says at least 1.5 m so I thought I was ok.
Also, try to practice flying in Atti in an open field that is safe. If you get good at that then you will gain confidence and know what to do when / if it goes wacky on you.
After all this, I am absolutely terrified of atti mode. lol

Magnetic interference is a BIG issue. I once launched from a picnic table in the middle of an open park field. The wood table had metal legs. I didn't think that was enough metal to pose a problem. I was wrong. Fortunately, I always hoover for about 1 minute to make sure all the automatic guidance systems are working. The P3P failed to maintain a stable hoover ... in fact, it was very erratic. I had to shut down the motors and crash land before the drone got away or gained altitude. Falling only 5' caused no damage. I recalibrate the compass and launched 20' away from the table. The drone flew perfectly.

Reactions: Fred Guernsey

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic