First flight, First Crash (and an epic one at that).

Reaction score
My first proper flight and it didn't go so well :D

All is well with the Phantom, it's a tough little machine to say the least. I've since calibrated the Gyro and controls and done a firmware update that seems to have sorted most of the control issues. I've only had it a day or two so I really need to just fly it and improve with practice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxln8VBR99c[/youtube]

So much for taking it easy on the first flight :lol: It looked like you were aiming at the trees but I think the chances of you landing safely on this flight where very low.

At least it was into the greenery and not into a wall, a thick tree trunk, or better yet water. Just start out slow and keep it in GPS mode. I think the prop guards are not a bad idea being that they are 15 bucks. Not just for beginners. I seriously think that having the props hit different objects, which doesn't take many, causes the motors to twist and this is the reason for the cracks that happen in the body around end of the arms. Shells being 50 to 75 dollars is not cheap were that money can be spend elsewhere.

I was flying in GPS mode with full GPS lock.
The Phantom just wouldn't respond after a little while and I had to watch in horror as it went flying into the little forest area.

It does seen better now that I've properly calibrated it.

I went out again this evening to give it another go. Mostly fine with some rough landings here and there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ267cfxjg4[/youtube]

Did you do the compass calibration before that first flight crash? Bad compass calibration would make gps fly all over the place. Was lucky you landed in the softer stuff but it was a fair crash.

martcerv said:
Did you do the compass calibration before that first flight crash? Bad compass calibration would make gps fly all over the place. Was lucky you landed in the softer stuff but it was a fair crash.

I didn't do any calibration :(

I've since done the gyro and controller calibration but not the compass. How do I do that? I'm guessing I do it outside as when it's plugged into my computer there would be too much interference to calibrate properly.

Retroman said:
martcerv said:

I didn't do any calibration :(

I've since done the gyro and controller calibration but not the compass. How do I do that? I'm guessing I do it outside as when it's plugged into my computer there would be too much interference to calibrate properly.

Much more controlled flight. Better. It takes time, and practice, and you will get better.

Darren

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers