First flight few issues please help

Reaction score
Just been out for my first flight. When I place the bird on the floor and move it the camera seems to lag behind and takes a few seconds to catch up. Also when I video on 4k 30fps it seems quite dark and when I shoot at 60fps it's even darker is this normal?

I'm no expert, others will follow, but here's what I can offer.

Tracking for your camera may be set a little slow (there's a way to change it in the app). Camera settings are like asking what kind of oil do you prefer, lots of help here. Do a few searches on EV and shutter speed and ASA. You'll get lots of help.

And I should have added.....
Welcome. These things are a heck of a lot of fun !

If you give us the rest of your camera settings (ISO, F-stop, shutter speed) then we could make informed suggestions about the darkness issue. Also, is that problem during a flight (outside) or when you have it on the floor (inside)?

Just been out for my first flight. When I place the bird on the floor and move it the camera seems to lag behind and takes a few seconds to catch up. Also when I video on 4k 30fps it seems quite dark and when I shoot at 60fps it's even darker is this normal?
The slight lag of you seeing movement on your screen is normal. It shouldn't be seconds though. It should be a fraction of a second. The best advice for quick camera settings is set your aperture at around 5.6 1/2 or so. Set your bird on 4K recording at 30 frames per second. Now your goal is to get your shutter close to double your frame rate which will be 1/60th of a second. Turn on your histogram in your camera settings menu and learn how to understand it somewhat. You may need to purchase some ND filters to get this formula close to what I have mentioned as far as exposure goes. Keep your ISO on 100 for all your video in the daytime. Then you can go higher with it if you ever fly in the night. I would not ever go higher than 1600 ever though as noise gets pretty bad. The sweet spot aperture for this camera is around F4 to about 5.6 1/2. So I try to stay in that neighborhood as much as I can. You can use Auto everything if you want, but you'll notice your exposure changing on you all the time and that can drive you nuts. LOL There are many Youtube vids talking about optimum camera settings btw. Hope this helps some.

Reactions: picky
The slight lag of you seeing movement on your screen is normal. It shouldn't be seconds though. It should be a fraction of a second. The best advice for quick camera settings is set your aperture at around 5.6 1/2 or so. Set your bird on 4K recording at 30 frames per second. Now your goal is to get your shutter close to double your frame rate which will be 1/60th of a second. Turn on your histogram in your camera settings menu and learn how to understand it somewhat. You may need to purchase some ND filters to get this formula close to what I have mentioned as far as exposure goes. Keep your ISO on 100 for all your video in the daytime. Then you can go higher with it if you ever fly in the night. I would not ever go higher than 1600 ever though as noise gets pretty bad. The sweet spot aperture for this camera is around F4 to about 5.6 1/2. So I try to stay in that neighborhood as much as I can. You can use Auto everything if you want, but you'll notice your exposure changing on you all the time and that can drive you nuts. LOL There are many Youtube vids talking about optimum camera settings btw. Hope this helps some.
Hi KevMo Good comments. I always use the histogram as you may have your P4P+ screen set to very bright and without the histogram to set your exposure could end up with dark or bright pictures.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Hi KevMo
008_Louisville fb.jpg
Good comments. I always use the histogram as you may have your P4P+ screen set to very bright and without the histogram to set your exposure could end up with dark or bright pictures.
One more thing I might add to this that I'm just finding out since I have done a few night shoots lately. Is that for stills it is best to keep your ISO at 400 or lower and most of the time use 100. If it's not windy you can slow this shutter down to almost 4-6 seconds and it is rock solid with no shake in your pic. If it's windy you can go over a second usually and that's about it. Keep your aperture around F4 to 5.6 and your golden! Of course it depends on how bright your subject is but this is a ballpark. Keep the ISO low for your pics! But 800 to 1600 is ok for video if it's a pretty dim city. This image was shot at 100 ISO with aperture at F4 @ 2.5 seconds on the shutter speed. No HDR at all btw. Just tweaked values in Camera Raw some.

Reactions: picky

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4