First flight - Enable Naza M or NOT?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been following the forums for a while and learning as much as I can. Finally have my P2 set up the way I want with iOSD and FPV and Futaba 14SG. I have been practicing with a Blade Nano QX and Heli-X and Real Flight simulators. I have some confusion regarding the Phantom/Naza mode on P2. I would like the benefit of IOC Home Lock, etc ....

1. Can I switch between modes while in flight ...from Phantom 2 mode to Naza M? ...or can this only be done in the Assistant?

2. Is flying in GPS ATTI mode similar to Phantom mode?

My main concern is to be able to utilize IOC Home Lock in case i get disoriented with P2's direction while flying.
Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum!!

Bugatti said:
1. Can I switch between modes while in flight ...from Phantom 2 mode to Naza M? ...or can this only be done in the Assistant?

No, it has to be done by the assistant. Once in NazaM mode however, you can then switch between GPS, Course Lock and Home Lock. The advice I gave in another post was do the switch while you are stationary as if you have any stick input on, the same stick input will mean different things in the different flying modes and it can cause the Phantom to suddenly change direction if you switch on the move.

I flew for 2 months in Phantom only mode. My reasoning was I wanted the least amount of things to think about..... I also didn't go far enough away to begin with that I couldn't see the LEDs to figure out orientation. Now I am in NazaM mode and switch frequently to course lock and/or home lock depending on what I am doing. This is my first flying anything so I am a bit cautious. You obviously understand the value of homelock....... I didn't really understand it while I was flying in Phantom mode, but now that I understand it, I see how it's a valuable tool if you get too far away to see orientation (assuming you have no FPV)

Now I know a lot more about Phantoms I would urge everyone to turn on Naza from their very first flight. You should get into the habit of starting every flight with both switches in their top positions. This makes the Phantom fly just like it does in Phantom Mode but by flicking the left switch down to its bottom position you can instantly use HOME LOCK to bring it back to you. The only real difference is the start up light sequence. Watch this video a few times and they are simple to learn.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbmfg-RXHvc[/youtube]

THANK YOU FOR THAT VIDEO!!
I have been scared of Naza mode because of the different light signals and my not being able to quite understand the written description in the manual...I am a visual learner! Thanks again...

Bugatti said:
Hello all,
2. Is flying in GPS ATTI mode similar to Phantom mode?

1. Has been answered ... it's NO, must be done with Assistant. (However, in NAZA mode with both S1 and S2 switches in their top positions, it's flying as if it were in Vision mode - the difference is you can get out of this "equivalent to Vision" mode. In true Vision mode, you can't get out of Vision mode from the controller)

2. Not sure how to interpret "GPS ATTI" or your definition of "similar", so ...

GPS and ATTI modes are mutually exclusive. In NAZA mode, S1 to top is GPS mode, S1 in middle is ATTI mode, and S1 to bottom is either Manual or Initiate RTH (depends on what you set it to in Assistant).

I suppose ATTI mode can be thought of as "similar" to GPS, but the GPS is off, i.e., it's not using any GPS input to hold position. It will maintain it's general "attitude" but will drift with the wind or its own inertia. It's similar in that the inputs you give it result in the same movements as in GPS mode.

Though I know of no absolute reason why a beginner (or anyone) should avoid NAZA mode, I suspect the point of Vision mode being the default mode is that it simplifies one's flying options ... not a bad idea until one gets familiar with the craft. Inadvertently having switched to something other than the "equivalent to Vision mode" could easily precipitate a disaster for a new flyer. Successfully flying the Vision requires a disciplined approach to pre-flight checks - NAZA mode adds a couple of checks to the checklist (S1 & S2 where you want them?). However, it does strike me that the Vision mode might be improved if at least home lock were available via the S2 switch. That could well be a useful tool for a beginner who's lost orientation awareness.

I find this analogy works best for GPS vs. ATTI: GPS mode is driving a car with the hand brake on. It will stop as soon as you get off the gas. ATTI is like driving a car with no brakes at all. In other words, it'll keep going until you counter it. Here's the light sequence cheat sheet from the Naza docs.

naza-mode-lights.jpg

I'd make sure bottom position of S1, the right switch, is "Return Home" (useful) rather than "Manual", which is the default and likely to cause a crash with an inexperienced pilot.

Ah, I've been wondering about the Naza mode and IOC. I've done maybe 12 flights in phantom mode and I've just started trying to get info on Naza/IOC.

:cry: only thing is the way I hold the controller, sometimes I hit one of the switches at the top when I change my grip. :roll:

qtluong said:
I'd make sure bottom position of S1, the right switch, is "Return Home" (useful) rather than "Manual", which is the default and likely to cause a crash with an inexperienced pilot.

Agreed - a very wise choice. Save playing with manual until you no longer care if it smashes into a zillion pieces. ;)

Almmohd said:
:cry: only thing is the way I hold the controller, sometimes I hit one of the switches at the top when I change my grip. :roll:

This aircraft, largely by design, is going to be in the hands of folks who have little or no flying experience ... I'm sure "inadvertent switching" is why Vision 2 mode is the default mode.

I have yet to enable it. I've been waiting for some parts. In the next few days I'll be doing some soldering and setup.

Is there an option to change the height that return to home rises to when activated? I completely misjudged a the height of a tree when testing out return to home which resulted in a broken prop and an irreparable gimbal. I'd like to change that to something like 100ft.

poostik said:
Is there an option to change the height that return to home rises to when activated? I completely misjudged a the height of a tree when testing out return to home which resulted in a broken prop and an irreparable gimbal. I'd like to change that to something like 100ft.

Not aware of it, perhaps someone else knows ... but if you're flying at more than 66' it should stay at your flying altitude until it gets over the home point. This should cover you for tests, though maybe not for a crisis return.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic