First Flight - Banking instead of taking off

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus and took it out for its first flight over the weekend. I followed the steps in the manual but once I tried to take off rather than flying straight up (holding the left knob up) it just banked towards me and I would have to turn off the props. Any idea what may be causing this to occur?

Another note - I was advised to take the camera and gimble off while I learn to fly (I have since been told this is not necessary) but could this have been causing any issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Try calibrating your remote controller exactly like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not only do you need to calibrate the RC but also the P2 as well and also do an advance IMU calibration. Then outside calibrate the compass and you should be ready to takeoff.

Last edited:
Wow this is a lot more than they tell you in the manual... thanks heaps! I'll do the above and try again.

It should have worked out of the box. Compass calibration is required for first flight but should not affect take off.
Make sure you give it a kick to go up about 6-10 feet - don't baby it on take off.

Do an Advanced Recalibration on the IMU and see if that helps.
It cured a problem mine had that was similar.

Check to see what mode your controller is in. You want mode 2.

I'm starting to think I might have been a bit too easy on the take-off... because I had taken the camera off (I now know there wasn't any need to do this) I'm thinking that the DJI may have been unbalanced and as a result started to fall towards me (the same direction the weight of the batter would have caused it to fall). Maybe I would have been better off giving it a bit more power, but all recommendations were to take it easy on your first flight so I thought this would have meant gentle movements on the controlled, including getting off the ground. Thoughts? I will still look into the controlled mode and recalibration. Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm starting to think I might have been a bit too easy on the take-off

I was the same way on my first couple attempts at take off. Luckily I had an FC40 with prop guards. Learned pretty quickly that you need to jump up to about 10 feet instead of slowly easing up.

Yes WOT is the way to go. Thank goodness I read up on the forums before my first flight.

OK I did a calibration as per msinger's video above and will give it another test tomorrow... this time with a bit more ooomph on takeoff!

Hey Pilot Oz,

Sounds like you got some good advice there.

Welcome to the party!

I also take off in Atti, just because I don't like the idea of the quad being 'influenced' so near the floor. Paranoid? Probably :)
Personally I would only take off in ATTI if I was forced to. Such as flying with < 6 satellite coverage. DJI has given you a reliable GPS system built right in, why not use it? What are you paranoid about?

The quad will (possibly) make minor lateral corrections under influence of the GPS. You can see this happening when hovering, but any small movements near the ground (landing or takeoff) can lead to tip-over.
In atti mode only the barometric system is influencing your inputs.

I also notice that my pv2+ finds one or two more satellites when it gains a few feet, so it makes sense to leave GPS until airborne.

Have you ever seen your car GPS suddenly put you on another road or in the middle of a field for a few seconds before correcting itself? What happens to a phantom when this happens?

Maybe I'm just a *****....
Personally I would only take off in ATTI if I was forced to. Such as flying with < 6 satellite coverage. DJI has given you a reliable GPS system built right in, why not use it? What are you paranoid about?

I can't agree that GPS should be off until airborne, Just fire it up, wait for the second set off green flashes and hit up until you reach 10 to 15 feet. (probably about 4 metres if you like your measurements in French)

I'm now keen to find out how high or far I can fly straight out of the box (range). Is there anything in the DJI Assistant I need to look at or change other than the calibration recommended above? I obviously don't want to go flying extreme distances, but I'm keen to go a bit further than the 20m radius I did today. Back to the manual I go...

The quad will (possibly) make minor lateral corrections under influence of the GPS. You can see this happening when hovering, but any small movements near the ground (landing or takeoff) can lead to tip-over.
Absolutely no need for this at all.
You shouldn't be taking off where small lateral corrections matter.
Don't be making small movements close to the ground.
Just kick it and make it jump. Get up 6-10 feet where there's nothing to hit.

Reactions: snowghost

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic