First flight and a couple of questions

Reaction score
My Phantom 3 Standard took to the air tonight and did some practice manouvers, take offs and landings without to much of a problem. Playing it safe in beginner mode at the moment until I understand it better. I have a couple of questions if someone can help with answers? Thanks

The auto take off doesn't want to function, it comes up on my tablet screen but nothing happens when I slide the on screen slider across. I do get a message about exposure not set when this happens. Presume this is the camera but not sure why it should affect the take off mode?

Everything worked the way it should do but with the drone facing me when I asked it to go to the left it hesitated and was a bit jerky sometimes and then ok the next. This could well be user error?

Finally is there a pre flight check list for the Standard model? I would like to know if I am doing everything right at this stage before I try more flights.

Thank you, any advice gratefully received.

can't help with the take off issue but there is a pre flight checklist pinned at the top of the phantom 3 standard/4k section ;)

Hello Furball,

Once you have your checklist made, I find its useful to laminate it with clear Fablon, make a hole in one corner and attach it with fishing line or string to the controller handle. That way you have it readily to hand prior to flying. Just an idea.

One thing I would add to the Post checklist is feel each motor to see if any are running hot. I don't know if this is really necessary but I have heard that it could be early indication of a bearing going.

Although you have a P3S, you can adapt your list similar to my precised one as below :-

P3A PRE FLIGHT CHECK LIST
1. Fit leg extenders
2. Remove gimbal lock
3. Clean camera lens
4. Inspect propellers
5. Install propellers and tighten.
6. Gimbal not obstructed
7. Tablet to R/C cable attached
8. Tx top left switch to P-Mode (To the right)
9. Tablet ON
10. TX ON
11. Phantom ON
12. Open GO App
13. Tap large GPS box on Go App for aircraft status.
14. Enable ‘Multiple flight mode’.
Tap Tx – Tap quad symbol - enable ‘Multiple flight mode’
15. CHECK BATTERY STATUS (Cells)
16. Check satellite number
17. CHECK A/C GREEN LIGHTS FLASHING
Check status if not.
18. CHECK HOME POINT RECORDED on map
19. Takeoff & Hover 30 seconds & check stability
21. Fly to 5m away and move mode switch from P to F.
22. Tap controller symbol on tablet & select HOME LOCK
23. When stable flight enter camera menu
24. Tap WHITE BALANCE and set sunny / dull

R/C EXP & Gain (0,5 - 0,4 - 0,5)
IMU values (0, 1, 1400-1600)
TAP QUAD SYMBOL – SENSORS STATE

I know its a lot to go through but it has saved my P3 more than once and time you will make out your own which will be suitable for your own understanding.

Last edited:
Reference your auto takeoff problem,make sure your throttle (left stick) is not locked in the down position.

I have tried all the variations I can think of but nothing seems to work. Happy enough to take off manually and I have found that all the flights I have done with a smaller much cheaper drone have helped.........so far.

Try to uninstall the app, clear all folders related to DJI then reinstall the app. May just be an app glitch stopping you taking off

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav