First Fight - P3P

Reaction score
For weeks now I had this idea that I would take my first flight and get a great video for youTube.
Having spent hours watching all manner of vids on YT... joining forums and reading truck loads of posts.
I decided to buy a P3P.
I did almost order the Inspire...( saves money working up to the best!) anyway I had never seen a real live quad let alone fly one..... and gave up RC planes years ago..coz i never could think in reverse!

I ordered a Syma X8W - its job was to get beat up while I learned how to control it. Then buy the P3P.
There is lots more but I hear yawning, so finally getting time and space ( in the garden) I took out the Syma.
It was akin to bronco busting - it was going anywhere but where I wanted. Granted it was a bit windy at the bottom of the garden. My wife was looking at me and I could see the...mmm another waste of money - look.
I decided to back up what I had told her about the P3P being far more stable and GPS controlled - even in wind!

I brought her outside ( the P3P not the wife) and set up as per the pre-flight laminate I had made up from a selection of those posted on the forum. Even to the RTH!

Start up... heart in mouth ... what if it went up and that wind caught hold and took it over the houses and ..
I stated the motors.. "it sound s better than the cheap one" ( wife) not daring to hit the auto take off, I gently eased the stick forward.... she lifted up and I added a bit more power... sitting at about 6 feet now... hovering and waddling a bit as the wind and GPS fought for supremacy! I started easing her backwards toward me... great- fairly smooth... then back again.... few left and right movements to "feel" how she responds.
carried on doing this and moving a bit faster each time...
Then I heard a steady beeping sound - too sunny to see anything on the iPad - squinting - power was at 34%.
I took her back to the bottom of the garden and landed her on the new helipad...or the grandsons upturned plastic paddling pool

Now all those of you who made a first flight over a mile or so at 400feet or higher... I envy your skill and nerve... but I have to say having my P3P in the air - was and still is an amazing first flight for me!
Now I really have to get out and get more practice in.

I think I am going to need an Inspire 2 next year!

BTW help please... photo of prop guards... are the prop blades really supposed to extend over the prop guard?? Seems to me the props could still hit obstacles and break - or cut a victim!

Attachments

• IMGP0002.JPG
    IMGP0002.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 378
Are you having any fun yet? ;-)

Sounds like you are having a blast down there...

No, the rotor blades should not extend beyond the blade guards...
They appear to belong to a smaller drone...??

RedHotPoker

For weeks now I had this idea that I would take my first flight and get a great video for youTube.
Having spent hours watching all manner of vids on YT... joining forums and reading truck loads of posts.
I decided to buy a P3P.
I did almost order the Inspire...( saves money working up to the best!) anyway I had never seen a real live quad let alone fly one..... and gave up RC planes years ago..coz i never could think in reverse!

I ordered a Syma X8W - its job was to get beat up while I learned how to control it. Then buy the P3P.
There is lots more but I hear yawning, so finally getting time and space ( in the garden) I took out the Syma.
It was akin to bronco busting - it was going anywhere but where I wanted. Granted it was a bit windy at the bottom of the garden. My wife was looking at me and I could see the...mmm another waste of money - look.
I decided to back up what I had told her about the P3P being far more stable and GPS controlled - even in wind!

I brought her outside ( the P3P not the wife) and set up as per the pre-flight laminate I had made up from a selection of those posted on the forum. Even to the RTH!

Start up... heart in mouth ... what if it went up and that wind caught hold and took it over the houses and ..
I stated the motors.. "it sound s better than the cheap one" ( wife) not daring to hit the auto take off, I gently eased the stick forward.... she lifted up and I added a bit more power... sitting at about 6 feet now... hovering and waddling a bit as the wind and GPS fought for supremacy! I started easing her backwards toward me... great- fairly smooth... then back again.... few left and right movements to "feel" how she responds.
carried on doing this and moving a bit faster each time...
Then I heard a steady beeping sound - too sunny to see anything on the iPad - squinting - power was at 34%.
I took her back to the bottom of the garden and landed her on the new helipad...or the grandsons upturned plastic paddling pool

Now all those of you who made a first flight over a mile or so at 400feet or higher... I envy your skill and nerve... but I have to say having my P3P in the air - was and still is an amazing first flight for me!
Now I really have to get out and get more practice in.

I think I am going to need an Inspire 2 next year!

BTW help please... photo of prop guards... are the prop blades really supposed to extend over the prop guard?? Seems to me the props could still hit obstacles and break - or cut a victim!
They are pretty useless...I use detachable prop guards from BestemUSA, have a look at those.

hoto of prop guards... are the prop blades really supposed to extend over the prop guard?
You can find a few prop guards that are made for the Phantom 3 here.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl