First encounter in Sydney

From more and more that I read and hear about Australia, I am REALLY glad I don't live there and will not move there! No guns, no quad flying, no this, no that, no FREEDOM left there. Sorry to hear it.
dronein, don't you listen to your own news?? I suggest you not criticize OUR situation when YOURS is so out of control.
Yorlik ... I'm not going to comment on this nonsense you're posting except to say that it's very, very far from the truth. You couldn't be more wrong.
Despite rabid stuff that gets posted round and round particular corners of the internet, Australia enjoys as much freedom as any country and low violent crime rates with only low-level restriction on quad flying.
Not everything you've read is true.

Reactions: Quadcopter102
Figured it had to happen eventually. I went down by the Sydney Opera House and there was a helicopter buzzing the area that would not leave. So I waited for 45 minutes and he finally left but was replaced by another helicopter which stayed around for only about 15 minutes. When all was clear I got airborne and got some good footage. I was about 390' to get some footage of the Sydney Bridge when I heard that helicopter coming back. I tried to bring it down but saw that guy coming fairly fast at about 250' so I just hovered at about 350'. He flew past about my 5 o'clock which was really too close for me.

I decided to bring it back and go since the battery level was getting low anyway. Packed up and started on my way but realized there was another area directly behind the Opera house that would be a great place. Haven't heard any helicopters in some time now so I went up there and started on my second mission. Got a great dronie from that position and flying over the Opera house and was about 10 minutes into flying toward the bridge. Man I wanted some good footage of that bridge... Well about 7 security guys descended on me and told me I was breaking the law.

I was very polite and they were as well. They told me that it was illegal to fly anywhere in the city. (yeah, duh, that's why I was over the bay) I explained that was why I was over the bay but they said that the bay was also illegal because the drone could fall and hit a ship. :-/ I didn't argue. I was also told that where I was originating from was a park that could carry a $5000 fine. Well so much for my research on the best place to fly. But they didn't cite me and I was polite and left without a hitch.

I can't believe all the negativity around the drone industry. It's like people have lost all common sense. But it is what it is. Next I'm going to try to fly the cliffs by the ocean. I think its far enough away from the beaches that no one will care. We shall see.
To be honest if you are a local or a regular visitor to Sydney, you should know there are helicopters and float planes flying around the bay, the bridge and the opera House. flying at that height ..in that location was skyways going to be trouble. I don't care about being over water or under 400feet. It's not the place to be high visibility. I would expect the helicopter pilot to make a report.
The fact that seven security staff turned out indicates it's an high security zone... prime target for the terrorists. What did you really expect?
There are times when common sense needs to be used and having already created an incident with the helicopters....who have permission to fly over the area...you don't...you then go really high visibility around the Opera house?
Now you have put "drones " in their minds and the next quad flyer hiding away at the back of the gardens...is likely to get a visit.
Anybody who thinks this guy deserves any sympathy should think again. This was a really selfish stupid action to undertake and does nothing to get a positive spin on our flying camera...especially as today there has been a major security roundup of a bunch of suspected terrorists or linked with the kid who shot up the police station and killed a civilian worker.

Well, it was completely innocent in nature. As soon as I was told it was illegal by the local authority I landed and will not go back. I doubt casa will seek out and fine for innocent ignorance. I certainly hope they won't. Honestly the best thing that could be done is post signs. Expecting thousands of hobbyists to search out and know the local laws is a bit far reaching.
Ignorance of the law, has never been accepted as a defence. And in this game and a me,beer of this forum....you did know about no fly areas.

Yorlik ... I'm not going to comment on this nonsense you're posting except to say that it's very, very far from the truth. You couldn't be more wrong.
Despite rabid stuff that gets posted round and round particular corners of the internet, Australia enjoys as much freedom as any country and low violent crime rates with only low-level restriction on quad flying.
Not everything you've read is true.
Well, for the record, I like Australia. The people are very friendly and for whatever reason there is not a lot of stress in people like there seems to be in the US. People are mostly pretty low stress here.

Don't get me wrong.. I am very happy to be a Texan. :)

Now about the Phantom which is what this thread was all about. I realize that there are rules and ok, that's fine. We have rules everywhere. It's very apparent that in this area there is a lot of helicopter traffic. I see low flying helicopters fairly frequently. If "THAT" was the reason for the no drone flying it would make sense. But it "might" fall out of the sky and hit someone or sink a ship to me is just a bit alarmist you know. If you are flying over a crowded beach and it falls out of the sky it could hit someone... sure. But it's probably not that common of an issue. IMHO

But that's fine. I'll obey the rules. No worries mate....

Reactions: Meta4
To be honest if you are a local or a regular visitor to Sydney, you should know there are helicopters and float planes flying around the bay, the bridge and the opera House. flying at that height ..in that location was skyways going to be trouble. I don't care about being over water or under 400feet. It's not the place to be high visibility. I would expect the helicopter pilot to make a report.
The fact that seven security staff turned out indicates it's an high security zone... prime target for the terrorists. What did you really expect?
There are times when common sense needs to be used and having already created an incident with the helicopters....who have permission to fly over the area...you don't...you then go really high visibility around the Opera house?
Now you have put "drones " in their minds and the next quad flyer hiding away at the back of the gardens...is likely to get a visit.
Anybody who thinks this guy deserves any sympathy should think again. This was a really selfish stupid action to undertake and does nothing to get a positive spin on our flying camera...especially as today there has been a major security roundup of a bunch of suspected terrorists or linked with the kid who shot up the police station and killed a civilian worker.
Wow.. I'm shocked that this went from an American visitor in Sydney flying a drone in an area "unknown to be illegal" to some how associated with terrorists and a dead cop. What a stretch. ROFL.

DUDE....

But it "might" fall out of the sky and hit someone or sink a ship to me is just a bit alarmist.
Your average security guard isn't necessarily an authority on law and regulations.
Take what they said with a grain of salt.
And .. you got a nice pic of the bridge.
Happy flying for the rest of your trip.

Dronebow, hope you really live in Texas and plan to come home.

From more and more that I read and hear about Australia, I am REALLY glad I don't live there and will not move there! No guns, no quad flying, no this, no that, no FREEDOM left there. Sorry to hear it.
Never read so much drivel in my life. No guns....and no mass killings of school kids. Don't add stupidity to you drivel.

Ignorance of the law, has never been accepted as a defence. And in this game and a me,beer of this forum....you did know about no fly areas.
I think if you check you will find other posts where I "asked" if it was ok to fly in this area. If it was so obvious maybe you should have answered the post.
Yeah, I know about know fly areas.. that doesn't mean I know where all the no fly areas are.. Do you know all the no fly areas? Ok, quick, you are in Texas.. name all the no fly areas.. o_O

Wow.. I'm shocked that this went from an American visitor in Sydney flying a drone in an area "unknown to be illegal" to some how associated with terrorists and a dead cop. What a stretch. ROFL.

DUDE....
What would be the reaction. If I flew over or near the White House?
Do you think you were the only tourist in Sydney! Did seeing two helicopters not give you a clue? Did you travel all this way without doing any checks? Do you think American air regulation apply here?
Nah, all you thought about was you.
Yet another idiot comment was sinking ship...get real. The bay is a busy seaway to commercial shipping all way down to kayaks...supposing it dropped onto any craft or any person.

I think if you check you will find other posts where I "asked" if it was ok to fly in this area. If it was so obvious maybe you should have answered the post.

Yeah, I know about know fly areas.. that doesn't mean I know where all the no fly areas are.. Do you know all the no fly areas? Ok, quick, you are in Texas.. name all the no fly areas.. o_O
I give up, you demonstrate real stupidity with each post. FYI if I was going to Texas or any other state....I would first ask for help and advice on the area...here on this forum! Then I would likely get sensible advice and where to look for other information. Knowing you were coming here...obviously you did nothing to find out where you could and could not fly.

I think if you check you will find other posts where I "asked" if it was ok to fly in this area. If it was so obvious maybe you should have answered the
o_O
I recall one post were the advice was to go to the back of the gardens, Balmain it's called ...it were other flyers go at times ...and stay low.
Was it you asking, if so you did not take the advice....stop seeking to blame others for your lazy attitude.

What would be the reaction. If I flew over or near the White House?
Do you think you were the only tourist in Sydney! Did seeing two helicopters not give you a clue? Did you travel all this way without doing any checks? Do you think American air regulation apply here?
Nah, all you thought about was you.
Yet another idiot comment was sinking ship...get real. The bay is a busy seaway to commercial shipping all way down to kayaks...supposing it dropped onto any craft or any person.
Thanks so much for your insightful input. You pegged me. And you are so right about that opera house being compared to the White house. Especially with this drama president. Good call.

Have a nice day

I recall one post were the advice was to go to the back of the gardens, Balmain it's called ...it were other flyers go at times ...and stay low.
Was it you asking, if so you did not take the advice....stop seeking to blame others for your lazy attitude.
OH... I get it now.. You are a troll. Dang.. I fell for it. Later dude.. I mean troll. Nice how you drug me into this.. LOL

DUDE....
It's about security....yet again. You demonstrate an inability to deal with information. Where you were drawing attention to yourself is regarded as high risk for terrorist attacks....just like your White House. Try to belittle and divert as much as you want...all you do is confirm you lack ability to act and think in any form of logical order.

Sorry can't play out with any longer.....I have to do some real work

From the way this thread exploded I would call it LAST encounter in Sydney!

i get hassled all the time by $10 per hour security guards i was approached by one in a park i asked him where does it say i cant fly in a park and asked him who said i cant he tells me to read CASA RULES i asked him what are the rules his reply is just take it down or i will fine u my reply is im 30 mtrs from anything and 100 mtrs high i asked him what is the fine his reply is im not sure only 1 guy in sydney has been fined $850 for hitting the bridge i just move on and flyover from a distance ITS ALL ABOUT BEING SAFE for the record IM A PROUND AUSTRALIAN and feel so SAFE in this MARVELOUS country

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31