First encounter in Sydney

Reaction score
Figured it had to happen eventually. I went down by the Sydney Opera House and there was a helicopter buzzing the area that would not leave. So I waited for 45 minutes and he finally left but was replaced by another helicopter which stayed around for only about 15 minutes. When all was clear I got airborne and got some good footage. I was about 390' to get some footage of the Sydney Bridge when I heard that helicopter coming back. I tried to bring it down but saw that guy coming fairly fast at about 250' so I just hovered at about 350'. He flew past about my 5 o'clock which was really too close for me.

I decided to bring it back and go since the battery level was getting low anyway. Packed up and started on my way but realized there was another area directly behind the Opera house that would be a great place. Haven't heard any helicopters in some time now so I went up there and started on my second mission. Got a great dronie from that position and flying over the Opera house and was about 10 minutes into flying toward the bridge. Man I wanted some good footage of that bridge... Well about 7 security guys descended on me and told me I was breaking the law.

I was very polite and they were as well. They told me that it was illegal to fly anywhere in the city. (yeah, duh, that's why I was over the bay) I explained that was why I was over the bay but they said that the bay was also illegal because the drone could fall and hit a ship. :-/ I didn't argue. I was also told that where I was originating from was a park that could carry a $5000 fine. Well so much for my research on the best place to fly. But they didn't cite me and I was polite and left without a hitch.

I can't believe all the negativity around the drone industry. It's like people have lost all common sense. But it is what it is. Next I'm going to try to fly the cliffs by the ocean. I think its far enough away from the beaches that no one will care. We shall see.

Sucks. Might be a bit high if you know there are helicopters in the area, but it sounds like you waited for them to leave and tried to maintain distance.

The Opera House and the Harbour Bridge are not a good location to try flying.
There is a no-fly zone all around the harbour bridge and the Opera House is about the most crowded part of Sydney.
Check this thread to get some ideas ...
Traveling internationally - US to Australia - quick questions | DJI Phantom Forum
You won't find much negativity toward drones in Australia and if you go out to the heads you'll probably be OK.

The Opera House and the Harbour Bridge are not a good location to try flying.
There is a no-fly sone all around the harbour bridge and the Opera House is about the most crowded part of Sydney.
Check this thread to get some ideas ...
Traveling internationally - US to Australia - quick questions | DJI Phantom Forum
Thanks. I went early in the morning to avoid any people. There was almost no one around the opera house. The security guy told me I could contact "casa" I think to get permission but I bet you have to be a licensed pilot and have some kind of purpose.

Like was said already................. people have lost all common sense when it comes to hobby drones. It is expected that over 3 million will be sold over this holiday season. Maybe if we all get together for a flyover show-of-force, we can get some of these stupid laws changed. :D

Like was said already................. people have lost all common sense when it comes to hobby drones. It is expected that over 3 million will be sold over this holiday season. Maybe if we all get together for a flyover show-of-force, we can get some of these stupid laws changed. :D
3 million drone fly over.. now that I'd like to see.. Reminds me of that commercial where the drones are all outside waiting like that scene in "The Birds"... That would be awesome.. :)

Attachments

• DJI_0002.JPG
    DJI_0002.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 442
  • DJI_0013.JPG
    DJI_0013.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 885
  • DJI_0007.JPG
    DJI_0007.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 408
I'd delete this thread and remove any vids/photos about this IMHO.

You are 100% in breach of CASA regs. You are flying in controlled airspace and would be culpable if you caused a heli to crash.

CASA can and do look up YT etc.

They fine people flying around there now and it could impact future certifications if you decide to work with UAV'S.

I'd delete this thread and remove any vids/photos about this IMHO.

You are 100% in breach of CASA regs. You are flying in controlled airspace and would be culpable if you caused a heli to crash.

CASA can and do look up YT etc.

They fine people flying around there now and it could impact future certifications if you decide to work with UAV'S.
Well, it was completely innocent in nature. As soon as I was told it was illegal by the local authority I landed and will not go back. I doubt casa will seek out and fine for innocent ignorance. I certainly hope they won't. Honestly the best thing that could be done is post signs. Expecting thousands of hobbyists to search out and know the local laws is a bit far reaching.

CASA take the 'ignorance is zero excuse' line. They are honestly very helpful and approachable but 'you' need to know and you need to educate yourself.

They don't take the I'm flying a toy, camera, hobbyist mantra and any P3's in Aus come with the yellow piece of paper that says you shouldn't fly within 5km of aircraft or airports.

I know it's unusual but the take is that we are flying machines that compete with real aircraft so they are instantly not toys.

If you screw up doing something like this, it'll be seriously bad news...you would actually be on the news.

Just trying to help out a fellow Aussie. Don't provide ammo to people that are regulating the hobby and who may pull you up at a later date (or put a block on a license etc because of past FPV infringements).

Well, it was completely innocent in nature. As soon as I was told it was illegal by the local authority I landed and will not go back. I doubt casa will seek out and fine for innocent ignorance. I certainly hope they won't. Honestly the best thing that could be done is post signs. Expecting thousands of hobbyists to search out and know the local laws is a bit far reaching.

Just a couple more things...

Get the Safe to Fly app as it at least shows you where airports/heli pads are.

Beaches are somethings even off limits if there are a decent amount of people nearby (plus the 30m rule) and beaches sometimes are landing zones for sea planes and rescue helis so they could be out for kilometers of coastline. The whole area of central Melbourne is out from what I can see so no beach flying here.

It's a bit of a minefield and IMHO, the hobby aspect might be severely curtailed in the future.

It's honestly not crazy as where do CASA draw the line. The soon to be released Lilly Drone is autonomous with no one flying it but it still could meander off an run through the windshield of a plane/heli etc or more likely a car and cause an accident. How do you legislate against something like that?

'Yes I know the Lilly Drone went through the windscreen of your car and caused a massive accident but it's not my fault as I wasn't flying it...'

or

'I wasn't flying the P3 when it did XYZ as it was in autonomous mode...'

The whole world is watching CASA and their proposed new regs too so they likely may be a bit tough in the future to show they have teeth.

Dronebow, hope you really live in Texas and plan to come home.

From more and more that I read and hear about Australia, I am REALLY glad I don't live there and will not move there! No guns, no quad flying, no this, no that, no FREEDOM left there. Sorry to hear it.

Reactions: Dronebow
Yeah, we are really sad our kids can't bring firearms to school and kill the other kids. It must be great enjoying this level of 'freedom'.

Seriously??

Dronebow, hope you really live in Texas and plan to come home.

From more and more that I read and hear about Australia, I am REALLY glad I don't live there and will not move there! No guns, no quad flying, no this, no that, no FREEDOM left there. Sorry to hear it.

** irrelevant material deleted by moderator **

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps droningon you should stick to phantom discussions?

** grossly inaccurate and provocative material deleted by moderator **

dronein, don't you listen to your own news?? I suggest you not criticize OUR situation when YOURS is so out of control.

** grossly inaccurate and provocative material deleted by moderator **

Sorry, don't waste you time trying to BS me with crap on the internet. I'm not the one championing for more 'freedom'.

Yeah I can't walk the streets day or night where I live, I need to carry a firearm to be 'safe', my kids can't go to school without walking through a metal detector, an argument with an idiot will get me shot...oh wait, Aus in not in any way like that.

Maybe you should be the one sticking to Phantom stuff and keep your Donald Trump craziness to yourself.

I like here in Aus; keep it like it is as I say and I'd love my kids to go to school and just enjoy being children.

edit...yikes, you've been busy! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav