First drone Crash that ends up injuring a bystander-and giving pilot jail time

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! That sets a very dangerous precedence for all of us.

Omg.... That's bad. Still... Been the first person in history to be jailed for a drone related crime is one hell of an achievement [emoji12]

Neon Euc
Yea he can check that off his Bucket List for sure LOL.

What you in here for bro.... ummm flying my quadcopter and crashing it into someone. But yo man I did it so good I knocked her out(acting in a tough voice). [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Neon Euc
Gotta love the algorithms that produce location and topic based ads when you are reading an article like this though!

14cfeed6c74df8d633fb94774e0b783d.jpg

Jeff

Rich we are talking about the idiot who crashed his drone. How do you know we aren't sympathetic towards the person who was hit?

It's pending appeal so he may end up doing less time, but still, he's definitely famous in a way he didn't want LOL

... and they should appeal it. I am not exactly sure what the actual verdict was, but I believe it did not include negligence. So if we can get thrown into jail simply by potentially endangering someone - then we can't even climb on a bicycle and drive down the neighborhood road without risking a jail sentence. I certainly understand such a person to sue for pain and suffering -- but criminal?? come-on. Given that it is coastal Washington I suspect that the judge has issues with drones and might have issued an excessively harsh sentence.

... and they should appeal it. I am not exactly sure what the actual verdict was, but I believe it did not include negligence. So if we can get thrown into jail simply by potentially endangering someone - then we can't even climb on a bicycle and drive down the neighborhood road without risking a jail sentence. I certainly understand such a person to sue for pain and suffering -- but criminal?? come-on. Given that it is coastal Washington I suspect that the judge has issues with drones and might have issued an excessively harsh sentence.
The way I read it. He was flying above a gay pride parade, clipped a building, crashed into the lady and knocked her out. Not sure I agree with the bicycle analogy, maybe if you came screaming down a hill on a bike at 35MP into a crowd of people I suppose.

The way I read it. He was flying above a gay pride parade, clipped a building, crashed into the lady and knocked her out. Not sure I agree with the bicycle analogy, maybe if you came screaming down a hill on a bike at 35MP into a crowd of people I suppose.

I understand your concern about my analogy. - but here is why I made it: If this fellow is a professional drone pilot and he had permission to fly there AND he flew the mission within FAA rules and the incident is ruled accidental (I have not read anything to the contrary), then my analogy holds. Of course, if I came screaming down a hill on a bike at 35MPH on a narrow neighborhood road and someone - one would argue that I acted with negligence.

I understand your concern about my analogy. - but here is why I made it: If this fellow is a professional drone pilot and he had permission to fly there AND he flew the mission within FAA rules and the incident is ruled accidental (I have not read anything to the contrary), then my analogy holds.
It was in 2015, I'm not sure the FAA UAV rules were in place at that time. They may have been, not sure on that. To me flying over a big crowd at building height seems a bit dangerous. I'm no angel but I wouldn't fly over that many people.

Rich we are talking about the idiot who crashed his drone. How do you know we aren't sympathetic towards the person who was hit?

I was reading down the thread and all I saw was tender compassion and sympathy for the drone pilot. If there was compassion for the victim of pilot error/stupidity/random failure, I must have missed it. Hopefully, the commercial drone pilot has liability insurance and the woman will be fairly compensated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20