Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

first day - incredible!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by telemole, Jul 26, 2013.

1. telemole

Hi gang,

i wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to all the posters- they DIYers and the sages here who post so much useful stuff.

I got my Phantom last night and used up 5 batteries worth of fun flying in the park, over the house and around the neighborhood - the neighbors are all very curious - not one person could pass by without being curious. The years of toying with little RC toys has paid off and after some initial orientation issues, I had decent control of the phantom and made it do some amazing things. A few friends were there to help and were amazed... a round of drinks and watching the gopro video afterward made for a fantastc night.

Next stop - FPV flying - this stuff is truly amazing!

Thanks everyone

(one minor hard landing in the neighbors backyard after too fast a descent - lesson learned and no noticeable damage)

2. socman

Glad you are enjoying it!
    Amazing how easy it is to fly, eh?
    However, be careful you dont get too cocky too quickly =) Lots of people have lost their phantom because they pushed the envelope too early.

I have about 30-40 flights in so far and feel I can control it very well, however I am still reluctant to fly over a neighboorhood. =)

Oh, one last note...make sure you put your phone number on it somewhere in case it does go down somewhere that you couldnt recover it.

3. KillerImage

Yes, and make sure you do the same with your football, kite, bike, baseball, frisbee etc as well, since these cause many thousands of injuries each year.

4. socman

yes, that is a risk of putting your info on it. However, a majority of people do not always just fly over populated area's....

quite a few people have retreived their lost phantom's this way. just trying to help the guy out.

5. socman

ya, i will admit I took it as you were taking a jab at me.
    thanks for clearing that up =)

6. GoodnNuff

Wow, that is rather frightening to think that attorneys are actually advertising to represent victims of RC flyers.
    My AMA membership, I believe insures me up to $2.5 million for liability, but only if I'm flying on an AMA sanctioned field or event.

I did see a guy lose control of his big helicopter a few weeks ago, and it flew back towards him, hit the ground and bounced, then the blade hit his calf putting a very large and deep gash into his leg (required stitches), but that was from about a 24 inch blade that had already slowed from hitting the ground. I could imagine the damage something that large could do to a car or building.
    But a Phantom with Carbon Fiber blades could probably do some pretty nice flesh slicing as well.