first day - incredible!

Reaction score
Hi gang,

i wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to all the posters- they DIYers and the sages here who post so much useful stuff.

I got my Phantom last night and used up 5 batteries worth of fun flying in the park, over the house and around the neighborhood - the neighbors are all very curious - not one person could pass by without being curious. The years of toying with little RC toys has paid off and after some initial orientation issues, I had decent control of the phantom and made it do some amazing things. A few friends were there to help and were amazed... a round of drinks and watching the gopro video afterward made for a fantastc night.

Next stop - FPV flying - this stuff is truly amazing!

Thanks everyone

(one minor hard landing in the neighbors backyard after too fast a descent - lesson learned and no noticeable damage)

telemole said:
Hi gang,

i wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to all the posters- they DIYers and the sages here who post so much useful stuff.

I got my Phantom last night and used up 5 batteries worth of fun flying in the park, over the house and around the neighborhood - the neighbors are all very curious - not one person could pass by without being curious. The years of toying with little RC toys has paid off and after some initial orientation issues, I had decent control of the phantom and made it do some amazing things. A few friends were there to help and were amazed... a round of drinks and watching the gopro video afterward made for a fantastc night.

Next stop - FPV flying - this stuff is truly amazing!

Thanks everyone

(one minor hard landing in the neighbors backyard after too fast a descent - lesson learned and no noticeable damage)

Glad you are enjoying it!
Amazing how easy it is to fly, eh?
However, be careful you dont get too cocky too quickly =) Lots of people have lost their phantom because they pushed the envelope too early.

I have about 30-40 flights in so far and feel I can control it very well, however I am still reluctant to fly over a neighboorhood. =)

Oh, one last note...make sure you put your phone number on it somewhere in case it does go down somewhere that you couldnt recover it.

QuadHopper said:
Oh, one last note...make sure you put your phone number on it somewhere in case it does go down somewhere that you couldnt recover it.

Very important when flying over populated areas to identify your quad with your name and contact information. If the copter drops and hits a child, parent, skater, stroller, car, house, etc., then they have the name of the person responsible for the damage and/or injuries.

Yes, and make sure you do the same with your football, kite, bike, baseball, frisbee etc as well, since these cause many thousands of injuries each year.

QuadHopper said:

Very important when flying over populated areas to identify your quad with your name and contact information. If the copter drops and hits a child, parent, skater, stroller, car, house, etc., then they have the name of the person responsible for the damage and/or injuries.

yes, that is a risk of putting your info on it. However, a majority of people do not always just fly over populated area's....

quite a few people have retreived their lost phantom's this way. just trying to help the guy out.

QuadHopper said:
yes, that is a risk of putting your info on it. However, a majority of people do not always just fly over populated area's....

quite a few people have retreived their lost phantom's this way. just trying to help the guy out.

Sorry if I sounded facetious, I was very serious.

I have my name, address, phone # and AMA membership # on all of my RC toys. I believe it is an AMA requirement (Academy of Model Aeronatics, American RC organization).

But if you are going to fly over crowds, traffics, buildings, etc., where damage could occur - then man up and have your information on your toy - be responsible.

ya, i will admit I took it as you were taking a jab at me.
thanks for clearing that up =)

QuadHopper said:
Yes, and make sure you do the same with your football, kite, bike, baseball, frisbee etc as well, since these cause many thousands of injuries each year.

My identification is on my bike. And I expect that if I injure anyone with my bike, I will be responsible for the injuries.
All of the plausible scenarious that I can think of involving my bike injuring another party pretty much has me riding the bike, or hauling the bike on my rooftop carrier. I don't see ID'ing the owner to be much of a challenge.

Now when it comes to footballs, kites, baseballs, frisbees etc., they usually aren't directed over the heads of unsuspecting crowds, nor do they drop out of the sky at high speeds, or have whirling blades that could make contact with a child or a face.
But should you harm anyone, a car, a home, a window with any of the above, you are responsible for the damages.
Ever known a golfer with a severe slice? I have, and they had to replace several windows and one had to repair a car's hood.

What do you think will happen when a "fly-away" Phantom hits a kid in the park? A car on the highway?
http://www.aviationaccidentlawsuit.com/injured-by-rc-aircraft/

"...incidents in which property is damaged or people are injured in remote control plane crashes are becoming far more common. If you’ve been injured by a remote control plane, then our attorneys want to make sure you understand your legal options...If a remote control plane crashes into your house and causes a fire that burns your house down, then you’re able to pursue compensation from the party that caused the accident. The challenge you have is determining who is to blame...Most remote control enthusiasts are advised to buy liability insurance to protect against accidents, injuries, and property damage, but not all of them do. Thus, if you’re injured or your home or car has been wrecked by a remote control plane or UAV, you’re going to be able to need to prove the negligent party caused the harm. Unlike a full-sized plane crash, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) or the Federal Aviation Administration is not likely to investigate a remote control wreck. Thus, the onus is on the victim to prove the cause of the accident."

Still not convinced that your Phantom is more dangerous than a kite or a tossed football?

Then Google images for "RC injuries," or "multi rotor" or "quadcopter" injuries.

Wow, that is rather frightening to think that attorneys are actually advertising to represent victims of RC flyers.
My AMA membership, I believe insures me up to $2.5 million for liability, but only if I'm flying on an AMA sanctioned field or event.

I did see a guy lose control of his big helicopter a few weeks ago, and it flew back towards him, hit the ground and bounced, then the blade hit his calf putting a very large and deep gash into his leg (required stitches), but that was from about a 24 inch blade that had already slowed from hitting the ground. I could imagine the damage something that large could do to a car or building.
But a Phantom with Carbon Fiber blades could probably do some pretty nice flesh slicing as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers