First Crash

Reaction score
Went flying today and had my first crash. I have been flying RC planes and helis for years and this was about my 10th flight on the P2V. I went to the local schoolyard and sent it out to the far side. Actually a little too far since it got tangled in the trees about 20 ft altitude. I was thinking that I might be a too close and looked at my iPhone for an FPV view. All I saw were branches - thats bad. Then I saw it fall straight down and land upside down in the snow. When getting to it, the P2V was upside down and the props were spinning madly like it was trying to get somewhere. The camera was detached and laying about 6 feet away. I shut it down and then took a deep breath.

Damage: really not much. The white rubber grommets detached and easily reattached the camera. I plugged in the 2 wires feeding the camera. One prop was broken in half. I replaced the prop and had it flying as normal 15 minutes later. I had a gas powered .60 size helicopter for years and if it had crashed the way my P2v did, it would have been destroyed. Gas helis love to flop and twitch and eat themselves to death on the ground when they are mad at you.

I love the P2V and see no need to go back to gas powered RC. The cost of this crash was one prop where a gas heli would have had big $$ damage - really big $$. All in all, not a bad day flying considering I learned a lesson to stay far away from the trees.

I ha

Never trust trees - they have a habit of suddenly making a dash for your passing quad.

Your experience is by no means an isolated one. Mine fell 40ft after being blown down from the tree it was stuck in overnight. One prop was all that was damaged there, too. Others have reported even more extreme impacts with little or no damage. It's a surprisingly tough beast, the Vision.

I still don't trust those trees, though.

(PS Sometimes after a "firm landing" the IMU might need a recalibration to set things back on the straight and level - if it doesn't hover like a champ after an "authoritative arrival" then it's worth landing straight away and plugging it in to get it sorted rather than flying on)

Phoskins23 said:
The cost of this crash was one prop where a gas heli would have had big $$ damage - really big $$. All in all, not a bad day flying considering I learned a lesson to stay far away from the trees.

I ha

Consider yourself lucky, trees never lose and sometimes Phantoms do. Had an oak tree get in my way and the results where not pretty, suffered a shattered prop and destroyed the lower shell.

arm3.jpg

The little white and red dots are not part of the damage, just overspray from it laying under the spray booth with the other dead ones. ;-)

Wayne

Channel One said:
Phoskins23 said:
The cost of this crash was one prop where a gas heli would have had big $$ damage - really big $$. All in all, not a bad day flying considering I learned a lesson to stay far away from the trees.

I ha

Consider yourself lucky, trees never lose and sometimes Phantoms do. Had an oak tree get in my way and the results where not pretty, suffered a shattered prop and destroyed the lower shell.

arm3.jpg

The little white and red dots are not part of the damage, just overspray from it laying under the spray booth with the other dead ones. ;-)

Wayne

I too have visited a tree (with my phantom!) and resulted in chopped props. I have considered painting but this makes me wonder.... Do you think the shell cracked because of the coat of paint? Could the paint have stiffened the shell too much and actually promoted the cracking? Making me rethink painting....

A water based paint would be better than anything solvent based imho. Most water based paints have <5% of volatile compounds which might damage the shell and even then there could be some leaching out and into the plastic.

I had my first crash last Wednesday having put my controller into Naza-m I was eager to try the return to home function. This worked perfectly, for the third time I tried to take control on its way back which again I did with no problem, however I couldn't have flicked the s2 switch all the away up back into GPS mode and only into attitude mode this made my phantom veer violently to the right and crash into the side of a house.
This made my camera fall off crack and blade guard and snap to props off. So as you can imagine panic set it and I promptly ran off down the road to get underneath it to bring it down. (With 2 blades broken I'm not even sure retune to home would have worked).
Plugged the camera back in replaced the props and glued the prop protector. Re calibrated the compass and at the recommendation of pull_up recallibrated the IMU. Flys a dream again with very little expense. What I have doe. Is loosely put a small tie wrap through each rubber damper just for added security.
Live and learn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers