First Crash - Unexplained too :/ help?

This doesn't rise above the signal to noise ratio.

None of this is yet enforceable.

I'm not advocating wreckless drone operation, AT ALL, but this is a bit short of proving the FEDS hate drones.

Within 2-3 seconds, the bird was going crazy ... within a few seconds it had come down hard on the pavement. I didn't have time to react to try for switching to manual mode or turning off the transmitter for RTH. I realize these things could have saved me but it happened so fast :/

The question is, why did it crash?

It must have been radio interference or satellite issues. But I have flown this location before, clearing my mind of radio issues? So therefore, satellite connection issue? I have heard of not having a really good lock and the GPS system being confused about Phantom 2 true position and this resulting in crashes and flyaways?

I calibrated in the middle of the park field but there was a suspicious manhole about 10 feet from me.

Within 2-3 seconds, the bird was going crazy ... within a few seconds it had come down hard on the pavement. I didn't have time to react to try for switching to manual mode or turning off the transmitter for RTH. I realize these things could have saved me but it happened so fast :/

If you had switched to manual it's almost certain you'd have had no chance to save the Phantom. ANd if you could have arrested it's crazy flight, unless you are experienced in manual flight you probably would have then crashed anyway.

It must have been radio interference or satellite issues. But I have flown this location before, clearing my mind of radio issues? So therefore, satellite connection issue? I have heard of not having a really good lock and the GPS system being confused about Phantom 2 true position and this resulting in crashes and flyaways?
I calibrated in the middle of the park field but there was a suspicious manhole about 10 feet from me.
You've jumped to the conclusion that it must have been radio interference or GPS issues very quickly and without any evidence. It doesn't sound like radio interference, that's not going to cause crazy flight. Likewise GPS. IF a GPS made your Phantom think it had to be somewhere else, it would fly smoothly and straight to that place.
Likewise calibration issues cause the Phantom to fly a curve rather than straight line but it doesn't cause crazy flight at all.

The question is, why did it crash?
I'd be looking at a problem with the flight controller or some other hardware issue before any of the ideas you've come up with and definitely be doing an advanced calibration.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic