First crash(ish)

Why don't see if you can get a used board off someone who installed an HDMI board? That means they had to throw out their original board.
I'm confused how will an old board from a HDMI mod on the rc controller help? He talking about the gimbal not a controller.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, got the new board yesterday and repaired the phantom, test flight went all ok after pairing it back up again :) Fitted cable ties to the gimbal mounts as suggested but also fitted another cable tie around the middle of the gimbal plate to take pressure off the wiring loom in the event the plate was to break away from the body. Really don't want to ever replace this board again... Replaced 2 props as they were lightly chipped from binding up on the grass and got my new ND filters :)

20150918_172624.jpg 20150918_172207.jpg

Last edited:
Not a fan of prop guards but helped here. Had a few near tips before. Ia there a prop rod that just extends outwards. Min prop wash down and out the way. I know there's lots of feed extenders but maybe a strong arm fixing with a hole for a CF rod? Solid works here I come....

Not a fan of prop guards but helped here. Had a few near tips before. Ia there a prop rod that just extends outwards. Min prop wash down and out the way. I know there's lots of feed extenders but maybe a strong arm fixing with a hole for a CF rod? Solid works here I come....

They are handy but the bigger use I found for them was for video work so I can clearly see if the props are in the video or not, it does put them in view slightly earlier due to the guards protruding out a little but its much easier to see out in the field on an iPad or phone.

Forgot to mention I tried hand catching, no issues at all :) will do that from now on I think providing the phantom is stable in the air.

I have installed small tie wraps with a slack in the opposite corners for just that situation. If the locks fail, the tie wraps will catch it before the board damage can occur.

Flying high in the Rockies tends to be a bit unpredictable.
Makes perfect sense. It's easy to forget that members here live all over the world and our weather and conditions don't apply to everyone. Living near DC, we have fairly stable weather most of the time and rarely have those wild swings and quickly changing conditions. So point taken, hand catching isn't always possible but I still contend people should practice it when conditions allow even if it's only used in emergencies.

Interesting. How tight should the plastic locknuts bolts be tightened? Should the white absorbers have the stock spring to them or are you snugging up the camera plate tighter to the bird?
Absolutely, positively DO NOT TIGHTEN your zip ties. Those little rubber barrels are there to take up some shock. If you tighten up the zip ties, there's no longer any "give" there and having them there at all will be negated. Your gimbal will be safer, but you'll suffer horribly from "jello." You don't have to take my word on this - the "loosely connected" tie wraps, fishing line, etc., has been echoed on these forums since the first Phantom showed up.

Here we go again...
Not always, not even most of the time...
Plan where you take off from and plan where you will land. Plan your flight time. If following your plan, 90% of the time there will not be any issues.

Remember: failing to plan is planning to fail.
But I do plan, every time! I plan to hand catch...

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I just crashed my bird doing exactly the ..., still holding left stick down 6 seconds takes for-f-ing-ever! Rolles over on the left set of prop guards and the thing skids down the hill and up under one of those stupid Forest Service pole fences busting one prop to s#it befor. the 6 second countdown. Dust on everything but I think all but the prop is fine.

The left stick down only cuts the motors when when the bird is on the ground. Both sticks down and in is the CSC you were going for. That sounds like a flight that'd make me soil myself. Glad it wasn't worse

Wow, that was truly unlucky! I've crashed my 4 times. Two of them was pretty gentle in bushes. One time I ran into a branch and it flipped over and crashed from about 12 ft on to its back. Tonight I lifted the aircraft and some of the kids must have fiddled with the modeswitch so it was home heading on, with litchi. Didn't even understand what was happening before I started chewing on the barbecue until it tipped over on its back, down into the deck. Tried it later after investigation. Nothing!

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

I just did 3 batteries worth of flying and all went well, did hand catching every time and no issues really, little sketchy when a sudden crosswind hits but overall no problems :)

I just did 3 batteries worth of flying and all went well, did hand catching every time and no issues really, little sketchy when a sudden crosswind hits but overall no problems :)

So I live above 8000 feet above sea level in the midst of the high country of Colorado. Weather is crazy insane lots of times. Most recently took off at about 10000 ASL in a heavily forested area, only a 30 foot gap in the trees to get out and above the canopy. Wind was 5 mph and variable, withing 15 minutes the wind was 30-40 mph at the tree tops and whipping through the lower parts of the trees. I have since figured out that when I got lined up with my take-off clearing to come back and land, after dropping below the canopy the bird went into atti and began to be whipped around by the gusty winds. It was all I could do to get it in a landing happy configuration. Winds coming down through the lower part of the canopy and onto the ground was not easy, constant two stick inputs. At 10 feet where I normally hand catch the bird was hovering with about 2 meters-per-second right drift. I simply wanted it on the ground, no hand catching that flight.

Up here and especially this time of year it is a crap shoot for conditions. Earlier this evening I took the boat out on the lake, calm blue bird sky. Not 20 minutes later a line of clouds had formed to the west and the wind was producing whitecaps. I love having a Reinell cabin cruiser for our high alpine lake boating.

Well it finally happened haha, was landing the phantom in a hurry as it was coming back from a decent flight with a headwind. Landed it and it started hopping along the ground, and the CSC wouldn't shut it down for some reason.

Rotor guards did their job and it ended up flipping over, unfortunately the drop pins let go and the gimbal flew off and ripped the connector clear off the receiver board. Gimal is still fine and self tests ok but the board is toast, tried to patch repair but the was just too difficult with all the traces gone except one.

Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else has had their connector tear off like that or was it just really bad luck? Trying to work out a solution so it doesn't happen again as its a $400 board and it seems like DJI designed it to fail at the most expensive spot. Considering cutting the cable in the middle and putting an inline connector in that would hopefully separate instead.
The ONLY complaint I have with the Phantom is the construction of the shell.Seems to be prohibitive to take apart to do your own repairs. If they would connect the upper half from the bottom with screws it would be much easier to access the innards. Isee many quads with all the components exposed making repairs much easier. Not as elegant, but more functional. Other than that my P3 has functioned flawlessly for over 50 flights.

DO NOT turn off the controller before hand catching. Have the scars to prove it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31