First boating in motion flights tomorrow over the water....

Re: First boating in motion flights tomorrow over the water.

Back to report a successful boating trip! Got lots of videos at speed and stills. Even got some dolphins and seals!

After switching to Naza and turning on IOC, I ended up chickening out with trying DHP and Home Lock for the first time over the ocean. Just flew her in GPS mode after setting the home point at the marina. Not sure it would have made it back if I had had a problem, but luckily I didn't have to find out.

I'm happy to share pictures and vids, but what's the best way to process the vids on a Mac for the web and where should I put them?

Dcpmark said:
Back to report a successful boating trip! Got lots of videos at speed and stills. Even got some dolphins and seals!

After switching to Naza and turning on IOC, I ended up chickening out with trying DHP and Home Lock for the first time over the ocean. Just flew her in GPS mode after setting the home point at the marina. Not sure it would have made it back if I had had a problem, but luckily I didn't have to find out.

I'm happy to share pictures and vids, but what's the best way to process the vids on a Mac for the web and where should I put them?

Well done, sounds like you had a great day. Looking forward to seeing some pics and vids. I can't advise on MAC software I'm afraid. For storage I use both Google Drive and MS OneDrive, both easy to upload and share folder links.

RhythMick said:
Dcpmark said:

Well done, sounds like you had a great day. Looking forward to seeing some pics and vids. I can't advise on MAC software I'm afraid. For storage I use both Google Drive and MS OneDrive, both easy to upload and share folder links.

Thanks! Didn't think about cloud storage.....I've got Dropbox, so I'll just use that.

Now, I need a quick and easy way to edit on a Mac. iMovie?

I've used DHP a number of times. The only problem I've had is a warning where the aircraft believes there's not enough battery reserves to return to home. This happens on a flight path I've flown many times before, and with 50% battery left. It kinda freaked me out the first time. I normally fly upwind and return on the downwind. The warning only happens when DHP is toggled.

I don't know exactly what data the flight computer is using when it calculates how much current it's going to need to return home, and penetrating upwind surely uses more current than flying downwind. I am a conservative operator and rarely land with less than 20-30% battery shown on the display. I just figured I give ya the heads up on how my flight plan gives me a little comfort.

Fail-safes are great, autonomous and GPS navigation assistance are excellent, but they shouldn't ever be an obstacle for you to control your craft. Practice taking full control of your craft by interrupting a ground station program, putting it in ATTI mode and learn how to regain control during RTH. Do this until it becomes second nature, as if you ever have a control system fail during flight it's a normal reaction, not panic time.

BTW, I've probably 30 flights on mine and never had any control system fail. If one should, and I have an airworthy craft under power, at least I know what steps need to be taken. It's not a 100% guarantee that you'll have a safe landing with all system failures, but it does assure that pilot error was not the issue. Aside from that it's the responsible thing to do!

Being paranoid for others and your crafts safety is a good thing, being prepared for failures is a necessity. Have fun!

fred911 said:
I've used DHP a number of times. The only problem I've had is a warning where the aircraft believes there's not enough battery reserves to return to home. This happens on a flight path I've flown many times before, and with 50% battery left. It kinda freaked me out the first time. I normally fly upwind and return on the downwind. The warning only happens when DHP is toggled.

I don't know exactly what data the flight computer is using when it calculates how much current it's going to need to return home, and penetrating upwind surely uses more current than flying downwind. I am a conservative operator and rarely land with less than 20-30% battery shown on the display. I just figured I give ya the heads up on how my flight plan gives me a little comfort.

Fail-safes are great, autonomous and GPS navigation assistance are excellent, but they shouldn't ever be an obstacle for you to control your craft. Practice taking full control of your craft by interrupting a ground station program, putting it in ATTI mode and learn how to regain control during RTH. Do this until it becomes second nature, as if you ever have a control system fail during flight it's a normal reaction, not panic time.

BTW, I've probably 30 flights on mine and never had any control system fail. If one should, and I have an airworthy craft under power, at least I know what steps need to be taken. It's not a 100% guarantee that you'll have a safe landing with all system failures, but it does assure that pilot error was not the issue. Aside from that it's the responsible thing to do!

Being paranoid for others and your crafts safety is a good thing, being prepared for failures is a necessity. Have fun!

Yes I've had the same symptom - says not enough battery to return home when it's hovering 10 ft away from me with >75% battery in excellent condition. Haven't had that since Istopped using DHP.

By the way, there's another thread discussing this but if your bird decided it's home point was miles away and it needed to return to the fence, even putting it into ATTI mode won't give you control. Only MANUAL mode would override it.

fred911 said:

Has this happened with 3.08, 3.12, or both?

Important to have ATTI set up on switch 1, and to know how to revert to it. Having a moving controller increases the chances of a fly away and you must know how to regain control. Also make sure that "low battery return to home" is disabled. If the phantom thinks it doesn't have enough gas left to get home it will instantly head off otherwise!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers