First boating in motion flights tomorrow over the water....

Reaction score
....any tips?

I'm shooting some video and stills of my buddy's boat at speed tomorrow in the ocean. I have probably have 10-15 flights in me already, all in Phantom mode, so I'm pretty much still a newbie. I've never flown in any other modes.

I'm guessing I shouldn't set my Homepoint at the marina in case something goes wrong.....it will likely be too far away in a return if I lose connection. I do have one of those mini flotation devices that you can attach to the skids, but is it even worth trying to recover it if it goes into the ocean?

Any and all advice is welcome. Except that from those telling me I'm an idiot for trying this so soon. I already know that, and this is going to happen anyway. :lol:

Re: First boating in motion flights tomorrow over the water.

If your friend has a GPS on his boat set a pin in the GPS where you launch from so you know where it will head back too. Also Have 1 person fly 1 person release and retrieve it when you land

fresh batteries.

Those are my tips

Get comfortable flying in ATTI mode (enable NAZA) before attempting this. Your home point is the coordinates you are at when you take off so once you start moving, RTH will take it to wherever you originally took off from (minus the boat)... ie, be prepared to take control again or it'll land in the water. Better practice catch landing, since you won't have any other options unless your friend's boat has a helipad. If it lands in the ocean, you can't salvage it anyway... the salt will eat the circuits. Better off taking the floaty thing off for more stability.

I highly encourage your to reconsider.

You can set Dynamic home point so the home point is constantly updated to wherever you are. Or rather where your mobile device is that is running the vision app.
That way if you're moving it will RTH to where you are. Just make sure you get the boat under it or re-take manual control when it gets close and hand catch.

If you do use dynamic home point, don't rely on it w/ 100% confidence... just pay attention and be prepared to recover if the bird starts acting weird.

cahutch said:
You can set Dynamic home point so the home point is constantly updated to wherever you are. Or rather where your mobile device is that is running the vision app.
That way if you're moving it will RTH to where you are. Just make sure you get the boat under it or re-take manual control when it gets close and hand catch.

Wow, when did Dynamic home point become available?? Seems like it can used as a "follow me" mode from wherever you place the Phantom, right? I've been crying about a lack of a follow me mode since I got it May of last year.

Dcpmark said:
cahutch said:

Wow, when did Dynamic home point become available?? Seems like it can used as a "follow me" mode from wherever you place the Phantom, right? I've been crying about a lack of a follow me mode since I got it May of last year.

It's not autonomous, so you have to still use the sticks. Turn on DHP and put it in Home Lock, just stay outside the 30ft radius of yourself or it'll flip to Course Lock, and then you'll get so confused your quad will end up in the drink.

Ok, after doing some more reading I see that now it's not really a follow me mode. I had seen this and got excited.....I thought the dynamic home point was actually controlling the Phantom and keeping it at the same distance/altitude from the truck:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8YIpP9sj4

bbfpv said:
It's not autonomous, so you have to still use the sticks. Turn on DHP and put it in Home Lock, just stay outside the 30ft radius of yourself or it'll flip to Course Lock, and then you'll get so confused your quad will end up in the drink.

Thanks for the info! So I have to turn on IOC, right?

Dcpmark said:
bbfpv said:

yep. enable naza and ioc.

bbfpv said:
Dcpmark said:
bbfpv said:

yep. enable naza and ioc.

Thanks again. When I take off from the boat what mode should I be in, and do I bring it in as normal when I'm done shooting?

do the compass dance before you get on the boat and make sure it's successful. make sure your phone has a solid GPS lock, set vision app to DHP, make sure you can see the home point in the app and doesn't say you're 5million miles away. take off in GPS mode (both switches up), once youre in the air hover a bit and make sure you've got good sat lock, etc etc. Take it out 50 feet, flip it to Home Lock and pull back on the right stick-- make sure it comes back to you. Remember that if you're in home lock and you bring the bird back within the 35 ft radius around you (the home point), it'll switch to course lock and veer away (depending on which direction it was facing when it got the new home lock). In other words, once you get it back close enough to you, switch the left switch up and guide it to you with the sticks like you normally would. Obviously have someone ready to catch her. Good luck, post some videos.

bbfpv said:
do the compass dance before you get on the boat and make sure it's successful. make sure your phone has a solid GPS lock, set vision app to DHP, make sure you can see the home point in the app and doesn't say you're 5million miles away. take off in GPS mode (both switches up), once youre in the air hover a bit and make sure you've got good sat lock, etc etc. Take it out 50 feet, flip it to Home Lock and pull back on the right stick-- make sure it comes back to you. Remember that if you're in home lock and you bring the bird back within the 35 ft radius around you (the home point), it'll switch to course lock and veer away (depending on which direction it was facing when it got the new home lock). In other words, once you get it back close enough to you, switch the left switch up and guide it to you with the sticks like you normally would. Obviously have someone ready to catch her. Good luck, post some videos.

You are awesome for the detailed instructions.....thanks again!!

Wow, you're brave. I wouldn't attempt this without ...

- NAZA mode enabled, and my fully understanding all modes and having experience with them
- IOC enabled, and my fully understanding ....
- Dynamic Home Point OFF (there's at least one thread on here suggesting that DHP may send incorrect GPS locations to your bird if the phone's GPS is off, resulting in flyaways)
- LOTS more experience ...

... but then I'm a self-confessed chicken ...

Don't forget you can set a new HOME point and COURSE LOCK at any time using the S2 switch. Not sure how to do that ? Read up and practise - again I wouldn't be attempting this unless you know this stuff.

RhythMick said:

- NAZA mode enabled, and my fully understanding all modes and having experience with them
- Dynamic Home Point OFF (there's at least one thread on here suggesting that DHP may send incorrect GPS locations to your bird if the phone's GPS is off, resulting in flyaways)

Don't forget you can set a new HOME point and COURSE LOCK at any time using the S2 switch. Not sure how to do that ? Read up and practise - again I wouldn't be attempting this unless you know this stuff.

Oh, I'm absolutely terrified. But I've decided to embrace my ignorance and face my fears with a trial by fire. :D

Dcpmark said:
RhythMick said:

Oh, I'm absolutely terrified. But I've decided to embrace my ignorance and face my fears with a trial by fire. :D

Excellent - videos please ...

Dhp is a godsend. I rely on it and is must. You can walk and fly without thinking.

Please remember to turn on the gps on your phonesmart device before connecting. Download the maps while you're waiting.
Make sure you enable dhp in the dji app.
Make sure the ring around the radar goes from yellow to green. If you are uncertain, swipe to ground station and watch your position relative to the phantom.

Also please be aware that when you trigger rth it will go to the position where you triggered and not to where you are. Ie, if you're on a boat, make sure you stop moving and retake control it to land.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl