First attempts- observations

Reaction score
Well I did 4 flights today with my GoPro 3 fitted for the first time. I just fixed it directly to the Phantom via the waterproof casing and filmed at 1080p 50 fps, narrow view, protune off.
The first thing I noticed on watching the footage at home was how much sky I had!! Though I did think that would happen while watching the Phantom flying. Is it best to position the camera at an angle not quite pointing down, rather than straightahead as you see in all the photos you see of Phantoms fitted with Go Pros? When I eventually get a gimbal again how would you position the camera to get the ground rather than sky? Also as expected many shots were very angled sideways as the Phantom fought with the quite gusty conditions. Does a gimbal help to keep the image level- even if the phantom keeps swaying to and fro? How best is it to try and keep fairly level shots without a gimbal?
Finally I noticed at the end that there was condensation building up on the glass inside the waterproof case- not on the actual lens but the glass window on the case. Is there any way of avoiding that?

Still at the nervous position at actually flying the Phantom but hope to get more confident eventually!! But can't see myself flying near any objects- trees, buildings, me just yet!!

cheers

bill

I flown without gimbal for a while and my advice for "smooth" shots is to take the direction you want in ATTI mode and after you have gained enough speed let go of the controls. The let the Phantom glide in the air, and make only smalll movements, unless theres something you need to keep your phantom away from :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl