First attempt at color correcting/editing

SGs

Reaction score
Here's my first real attempt filmed last weekend in Ocean Shores, Washington on my phantom 3 professional. Where me and my wife are from and got married at 11 years ago.

This is my first shot at editing and color correcting in adobe premier. I had some problems and I'm learning the program I think this is a good first attempt although after watching some of the other vids posted I may need to step my game up. Regardless I'm happy and thanks for watching.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
If this is your first try, then well done! Two things I noted that you caught on quick which other newbies to video editing sometimes don't realize. First is that you matched the opening background music nicely. You'll see that those drone videos that are great to watch will have music that works with the video and even will change scenes to match the emotional points of the music. The second thing that was great is that you inserted plenty of edits from scene to scene.... no human in their right mind wants to watch someones drone video of one long continuous flight, unless it's over something incredible (like a volcano, nude beach, planet mars, Donald Trumps hair, etc).

A couple of points that you'll learn later by watching pro videos, so may as well pass them on now so you get a head start... These are only suggestions.

- Color correction... In this vid, it is far from normal, rather harsh actually in my opinion... but that could be the effect you're going for. Color correction can be exact or far from exact. You can change it from scene to scene to achieve some great effects. This is also a way to make a boring dull video come alive... just mess with the color (dramatic look, mystical look, cinema look, etc).

- Phantom vid movements should never be abrupt or jerky in your final video, so when you move the camera up or down or turn the Phantom it should be smooth, however, this is hard to do unless you pre-plan your flight pattern for the video. If you speed up such jerky movements as you did in this vid it kinda looks worse. The fix is to edit out the movements... just insert a smooth transition in-between the movements. Same is true if you're flying in a straight line (cut up portions of the video, speed up portions of the video, blur portions of the video, etc).

You're off to a great start!

Yeah the flying must improve I know that. My color correction was more so for my white balance being set to incandescence all weekend without me realizing it. I was thinking today I need to think more of "shooting" than "flying" first if I want better shots. Actually I watched a couple adobe tutorials today and learned some stuff and re did just a short clip that looked way better. I may give this a second go.

I really appreciate your feedback and for watching, cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers