first *almost* fatal crash

Reaction score
Hi,

I have probably flown 1000's of uneventful missions with my stage 3 P2V+ by now. Yesterday I was so eager to try my newly updated firmware phantom that I did what I tell everyone that is starting up not to do. I lifted the phantom perhaps 10' up in the air hovering outside my house with only 5 satellites locked before taking off. I went up nonetheless. When I was about to catch it and go back inside the house a small gust of wind blew from one side and that's all it took. It went sideways into an area that did not allow me to pull up or react fast enough. The area was full of cars, tree, walls, electrical wires, etc. I have good reactions, think quickly, but no training would have saved me. It went into a wall at a neighbors house...

Short end of the story, a broken flex cable and a leg split in half, everything else seems to be fine. The phantom starts, all motors are running well, it flies fine after the crash, as I tested it this morning. I don't get any telemetry or video from the phantom, thus I don't know how much battery is left other by the visual cues.

The real question to you all, is how difficult is to change the flex cable? I see that DJI simply does not sell it as a kit part. I don't want to purchase a new camera and gimbal. I ordered one from eBay ($85.00) that I see is fulfilled by atkdrones, but it doesn't mention anything else. Hoping to hear from you.

Cheers,

Charlie

Re: New firmware... first *almost* fatal crash

Yea the title caught me too :)

I had a similar issue last month. Gust of wind around side of house, 4 sats and in my case pilot error, pilot error, pilot error !

Yep. This has nothing to do with firmware. It's an operator memory problem.

You used to be able to go back and edit (fix) the title.

If you still can would you... Please!

I love the title, it's a sure fire way to get a lot of reads! haha

I've been in touch with that company selling the cable. I hear it's "expert level" difficulty to install. The same company that sells it for $85 will also install it for an additional fee ($99 rings a bell?). Guess you will have to decide how brave you are feeling.

Stile2112 said:
job2310 said:
I love the title, it's a sure fire way to get a lot of reads! haha

No kidding!

My next post. New firmware... PV2+ bursts into flames, neighborhood "almost" destroyed.

Hahahaahh good one

rbhamilton said:
I've been in touch with that company selling the cable. I hear it's "expert level" difficulty to install. The same company that sells it for $85 will also install it for an additional fee ($99 rings a bell?). Guess you will have to decide how brave you are feeling.

Thanks! I am inclined to do it myself. I don't think is that hard. I have not seen a video on YouTube of anyone attempting to do this but with some patience and care ai will give it a go. The worst that can happen is that I would have to buy a new camera/gimbal, some $675.

The point I was trying to make, beside the obvious self mistake, was that in my case GPS satellite acquisition capabilities were affected after the update. I'm scheduled to receive the cable next Wednesday. I will post how it goes changing it.

Cheers

Charlie

I suggest you record the operation, this way you can YouTube it for future adventurers. (If it goes well, hell you might get enough hits to be paid ;) )

Geert said:
Charlie,

Your title is very misleading.
After reading your story the new firmware has nothing to do with your "almost" fatal crash.
You can blame only yourself.

Geert./.

Hi Geert,

Not misleading at all. After the update my phantom could not acquire satellites normally. The mistake of taking off regardless with fewer than acceptable satellite lock was mine, and not blaming anyone for it. The crash was not preventable once the quad steered sideways abruptly. I tried to minimize the damage to physical property and in turn I severed the ribbon cable.

Perhaps it would be a better practice to offer asked advise (I.e. place to replace the ribbon cable, difficulty level of the repair, etc.) rather than criticize everyone.

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlieb said:
The point I was trying to make, beside the obvious self mistake, was that in my case GPS satellite acquisition capabilities were affected after the update.
Why would you say that? What's your evidence?
There's no reason to think that the update affected GPS reception in any way.
I still get 7 satellites easily inside my house next to my PC.

You just didn't wait long enough to acquire sufficient satellites. After a firmware update it may take a bit longer than usual since it might have to re-download the cached satellite index.

Charlieb said:
Geert said:
Charlie,

Your title is very misleading.
After reading your story the new firmware has nothing to do with your "almost" fatal crash.
You can blame only yourself.

Geert./.

Hi Geert,

Not misleading at all. After the update my phantom could not acquire satellites normally. The mistake of taking off regardless with fewer than acceptable satellite lock was mine, and not blaming anyone for it. The crash was not preventable once the quad steered sideways abruptly. I tried to minimize the damage to physical property and in turn I severed the ribbon cable.

Perhaps it would be a better practice to offer asked advise (I.e. place to replace the ribbon cable, difficulty level of the repair, etc.) rather than criticize everyone.

Cheers,

Charlie

I disagree with you Charlie... It's completely misleading and a knee jerk reaction.

You are implying that the new firmware was the cause of problem and this just isn't the case and I agree that the blame squarely lands on you. I've also upgraded to the new firmware and have had no problems acquiring GPS lock. Some day are slow some day are fast, but it has nothing to due with the firmware. GPS satellite positions and signal strengths change daily if not hourly.

Posting with the title you did is sort of irresponsible.

cahutch said:
Charlieb said:

This really caught my eye. I have never had any consumer level GPS device of mine get that many sats indoors. That would include a TomTom, many GPS phones, and two Phantoms. Do you have a roof over your house LOL? :shock: :? :lol:

BlackTracer said:
cahutch said:
Charlieb said:

This really caught my eye. I have never had any consumer level GPS device of mine get that many sats indoors. That would include a TomTom, many GPS phones, and two Phantoms. Do you have a roof over your house LOL? :shock: :? :lol:

I got 7 sats in my house last night.. while it was sittings on the dinning room table and I live at the base of huge hill range. Not the norm to be sure but I can usually bounce around between 3 and 5 sats indoors at any given time. What may have been of benefit was that my quad was sitting for 15 minutes and had time to lock some marginal GPS signals.

Yeah. Surprises me too. Doesn't happen all the time but I routinely get a 6 or 7 sat lock on my kitchen table when I'm testing. There's a big south facing window in the kitchen though.
Last night was the first time I noticed 7 sats while I was updating the firmware next to my PC. That room has no window and I would expect major interference near my PC.

Asphalt shingle roof with fiberglass insulation, all wood construction with cement board siding and foil backed insulation on exterior walls.
Wifi will not get through the walls but GPS does get through the roof.

Charlieb said:
The point I was trying to make ... was that in my case GPS satellite acquisition capabilities were affected after the update.
You'll have to supply more information if you want to make that point.
I can't see any information there that suggests the firmware update had any impact.

Its not hard at all start at the top and work your way down. Get yourself a bent hooked end paper clip and a small flat bladed screwdriver. You will need those on one of the motor control boards. The double sided tape is the most difficult part of the whole thing. I use a needle to separate the layers (tape and backing)after I have it applied. You can start at the bottom also but I like to have the Gimbal top assembled and work down. I am less likely to break the cable with it all assembled.

When you get down to the camera you will have to wind the ribbon cable like a clock spring and place it in the camera.There is plenty of slack you just wind it inside its self. Then feed it into the camera clip. That is probably the most difficult part and its not bad doing it with some hemostats or rounded tweezers.

Thank you for your insights on how to go about installing the cable!

Cheers,

Charlie

I would recommend spending the $99.00 to have it installed. Very complicated and requiring not only skill but knowledge of the Phantom 2 Plus that most of us don't have.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl