Firmware v 1.8.80 released (with notes)

Upgraded - no problem. Longer flight needed to judge if it is more stable and some of the erratic gimbal pitch movements are corrected when using Litchi waypoints.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wind supposed to lay down tomorrow............... I'll charge up all 6 batteries and give her a good workout. Haven't flown in 3 months, it took forever to warm up. I need to do a cold IMU re-cal.

Exactly...and then they mention :- Both the aircraft and the remote controller must be upgraded or else they will not link!!!
Read the procedure for updating RC. It updates separately NOT connected to AC.

this is how I did mine...
1) Turned on the RC, it reported needing upgrade.. I let it do the upgrade and then it said to reboot the controller... turned it off, turned it back on again.... the quad was not turned on at all.... takes around 15 minutes
2) Downloaded the software update from DJI for the Quad and un zipped it, put the bin file on the card and inserted the card into the quad and turned the quad on... the Quad started blinking the red/green lights and I just let it sit there and do its thing... the beeping got real slow, the gimble went limp ****, then the beeping sped up, the gimble got a woodie, and the light turned a solid green... I turned the quad off and then back on again... it went through its boot up and all seemed well... this was with the remote turned off the entire time... took the card out and inspected the result file, all was good, erased the result file and bin file from the card and remounted the card in the Quad.
3) Turned on the ipad mini, turned on the remote controller, turned on the quad....open'd DJI Go app and everything worked perfectly...

The whole process takes about 20~30 minutes total... just let it sit there and do its thing... still not sure why they moved some of the screen items around but... what ever...

Screen shot of new layout plz ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Same here, updated P3A smoothly. Several flights on it so far. Seems stable but I also get a very small drift in yaw at a hover. My stops after a few (10ish) degrees. Does your continue to drift?
No it doesn't continue to drift. If it's just in a hover there is very little drift if any, but when I yaw instead of staying in one place like it was on a pole( which it did when I first got it, before doing a imu calibration) it yaws in a circle ? I'm lost on how to fix it.
I have done several imu calibrations( using a sheet of glass on top and getting it perfectly level), controller calibration. Know one seems to have a solution or similar problem.
I guess I can live with it, but when somethings not perfect it bugs me!

Hi mordor, yes with 1.5 everything is ok. I downgraded to 1.4.3 just because my bird since that update suffer of small vibration when hovering at low altitude (not in video luckily). But also with 1.4.3 I've these so I'll go back forward to 1.5 that works fine for me. [emoji106]
I highly recommend not running 1.5 firmware. The DJI guys were pretty stern when describing how dangerous it was for sudden power shutdown. When I spoke to them at the CES show in January they said the firmware doesn't read voltage levels correctly, which results in sudden auto landings, and some cases power shutdowns midflight. That firmware cost DJI dearly in warranty claims, birds falling from the sky. As I was leaving the DJI booth they said to me, never fly 1.5, just don't go there. Hence, I've deemed that firmware the kiss of death. I think the sudden power shutdowns are in very cold climates, but can't say for sure, and I'll never know since I'll never fly 1.5.

Last edited:
Did the upgrade just now. Won't test fly until tomorrow.
  1. Upgrade aircraft and onboard battery: Downloaded file from DJI to SD card. Installed into gimbal and powered up. No problem, took about 10 minutes.
    (Now on V1.8.80 per GO app "about" screen)
  2. Upgrade RC: Powered on Radio, aircraft, DJI Go app. Message in GO app showed that RC needed download. Downloaded via wifi. Once download complete, clicked the "install" button within DJI Go app. No problem, took about 2 minutes. (Now on v1.6.00 per GO app "about" screen)
  3. Checked the firmware install file. All successful.
  4. Upgrade the rest of my batteries: On aircraft, with SD card inserted into Gimbal, inserted each battery and waited for tone to change from 4 beep to 3 beep. No problem, took a few minutes for each battery.
  5. Followed the instructions (aircraft upgrade first. Cycle power. Radio second. Cycle power. Each battery.) Helps to close and open the GO app each time as well.
  6. Done and dusted. No drama.
*Note: per the DJI instructions and 10,000 video tutorials on youtube, you can upgrade the radio THREE ways: 1) SD (with firmware on it) to USB on radio, or 2) USB radio to mini USB on aircraft gimbal with SD card installed on the aircraft gimbal SD slot, or 3) DJI GO App, click download if showing in the app, then click install.

*Note: if the upgrade fails for any reason, power down and try again.

Please do NOT:
  • Start this process if you're in a hurry to go or do something else
  • Start this process with any less than 60% batter on radio or aircraft
  • STOP or turn off any of the devices while the update is installing (four quick beeps)
  • Have anything on the SD card besides an empty DCIM folder, and one, single BIN file (firmware)
  • Forget to check the .TXT file to see if your upgrade was successful. If it was, delete the text file. No drama.
Please let me know if this is helpful ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Graeme AUS
Do you have to do an IMU calibration again after firmware update???
Not necessary unless A) your GO app tells you to, B) you're experiencing abnormal control conditions. Should be fine. It's not like recalibrating your compass at each new flight location.

Did the upgrade just now. Upgrade the rest of my batteries: On aircraft, with SD card inserted into Gimbal, inserted each battery and waited for tone to change from 4 beep to 3 beep. No problem, took a few minutes for each battery.

I didn't see anything indicating the battery firmware got an update. Did you see this noted somewhere, confirming batteries need updated? I have a lot of batteries for my P3P. I dread battery firmware updates. However I would endorse getting their battery gauge algorithm fixed. It's very inconsistent if you've noticed, using msingers flight log reader.

Reactions: konidair
How is the RC firmware installed?

When I power on RC the AC to upgrade RC, do I have the sd card with upgrade on it, still in AC. I've already upgraded AC.

When I power on RC the AC to upgrade RC, do I have the sd card with upgrade on it, still in AC. I've already upgraded AC.

Do you know if the AC was updated to this latest version successfully? If so, follow steps 13 to 29 of the first post in the thread below to update your RC.
P3 Firmware - HOW TO: Install Phantom 3 firmware
Post #90 above really summarizes the process really well.

Last edited:
It does not hurt to do that and it's fairly quick too.
True, but the release notes don't suggest that you need to.

See example below for an earlier release:

[QUOTE}2015.12.22 Overview: 1. All-in-One firmware version updated to:v1.6.0040 2. DJI GO app iOS version updated to: v2.4.2 3. DJI GO app Android version updated to: v2.4.3 What’s New: 1. Improved battery reliability when using the aircraft in cold environments. 2. Optimized battery management.
Notes: 1. Users are advised to update all the Intelligent Flight Batteries with this All-in-One firmware. 2. The firmware can be downgraded to v1.5.30.[/QUOTE]

Actually when I tried to, nothing happened. I went to see if a txt file was created on sd card and there was. It said "aborted" A/C already has current update or older installed.

Reactions: Dudez

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl