Firmware Upgrade..New Guy...Holly Molly!

Reaction score
Talk about terrible instructions!!!! Thank God for YouTube. Best video I found was still not up to date!

Here is a few things I found:
Be sure to format the SD card.......(Don't ask me how I know. I used a brand new card and it wouldn't work until I formatted)
Once you download the new firmware to the micro SD card and insert the SD card into the copter, it took nearly 20 minutes to upload to the copter. LED flashed red and green with constant 4 very quiet beeps. Every few minutes it would do 3 loud beeps. This does not mean it is done. After a few minutes more, running lights started flashing very bright and camera started dancing around. a number of minutes more I finally got the three quiet beeps signalling finished. Reinserted the SD card in the computer to confirm. DONE!!!

Then following the YouTube(s) I found I removed the micro SD card from the copter and inserted it into the controller. NOTHING! Then I found that if your controller says on the back, "Model GL300B", you need to upload new firmware via the APP. Once I figured this out it was a breeze. Turn on the app and it will tell you you need to download new firmware. a few clicks and it does it automatically.

It appears to be done correctly.....We'll see when I fly it after it stops snowing!

A few more questions:

Is there a firmware update for the camera?
Do you need to leave the SD card in the copter. I would imagine this stores your videos?

Anything else with regard to firmware I should be aware of

In closing.............I'm horrified with the antediluvian method of firmware upgrades and the ABSOLUTE LACK OF INSTRUCTION both in the quick guide, video tutorials and the down loaded owners manual....This is near criminal considering the importance and how much we pay for these things.
(But then again, every time one of these things flies away, DJI gets to sell another one...Think of the possibilities !!!)

Yeah it happened. But I did my research before. After a while I figured that the best way was from the app.

After a while I figured that the best way was from the app.
If you have a P3S or P34K, then you must update the firmware from the DJI GO app.

Even though the @dji Phantoms are quite affordable, and easy to fly still some general basic knowledge is expected of you.
Yeah, many folks here have been around RC models for several long years, computers or cameras as well, and so working with zipped files and thumb drives/micro sd cards are pretty standard fare...

The update process is fairly simple, and the numerous available video instructions are pretty self-explanatory. And you have the forums to fall back on... A big cheat sheet, in your language.

RedHotPoker

Even though the @dji Phantoms are quite affordable, and easy to fly still some general basic knowledge is expected of you.
Yeah, many folks here have been around RC models for several long years, computers or cameras as well, and so working with zipped files and thumb drives/micro sd cards are pretty standard fare...

The update process is fairly simple, and the numerous available video instructions are pretty self-explanatory. And you have the forums to fall back on... A big cheat sheet, in your language.

RedHotPoker
Agreed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20