Firmware Upgrade - Image Transmission Signal Awful

tnx for the input. will try to fly the drone tomorrow with the 1.6.80

can't wait.. :)
Good luck unk . Not really sure why some have issues other than maybe location but like I said I've been good .
I do always back up my app before I update just incase ;)

thank u, sir!

since this probs makes all of us (P3S owners) a 'lil bit stressed because the range is not as good as it advertised.

but i have a faith that DJI will fix the problems (sooner or later) *maybe later i guess :D

This is a fix but if you are not technically inclined I advise against it. There are a few users that have bricked their rc because they forgot to add permissions on one of the files and the only confirmed way to fix it is to JTAG into the UART console on the board because their wifi doesn't come up after the mistake. But here read on FYI if you're interested.

The fix can change the locale to one that is out of CE range into FCC as well as changing the power to 27dbm. There are several users that had low ranges who are now getting video reaching the same range as control signal. There are other users that destroyed their bird. So use at own risk.

Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

This is the thread pertaining to the JTAG I bricked my p3s with ftp range mod - let's fix it together

The root password for your bird is Big9China but a firmware update will probably change that quickly when DJI finds out it has been cracked.

Last edited:
This is a fix but if you are not technically inclined I advise against it. There are a few users that have bricked their rc because they forgot to add permissions on one of the files and the only confirmed way to fix it is to JTAG into the UART console on the board because their wifi doesn't come up after the mistake. But here read on FYI if you're interested.

The fix can change the locale to one that is out of CE range into FCC as well as changing the power to 27dbm. There are several users that had low ranges who are now getting video reaching the same range as control signal.

Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

tnx for the advice, but after doing the mod one of my mentor on you tube after a few flight got his drone into a serious problems.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is what he said :
STOP. please dont do this. may can make Your aircraft bricked. I am having a serious problem. remote controller is very hot and image transmission lagging after flying a few times. upgrade or downgrade the firmware does not work. NOW I CANT FLY AGAIN! :(

Last edited:
Yeah some people turning up to 27 are getting overheating issues so the newer ones are recommending using 24dbm seems to be working well without the heat.

Some other rc units are fine on 27. It seems to be model dependant. That is why I said at own risk because really we don't know why.

That said some users are thrilled with the result.

bought P3S a month ago and update to 1.6.80 straight out of the box without knowing anything and had a problem with the range and awful video feed in around 20 to 30 meters.

try to downgrade (1.5.70+) and able to fly around 100 to 150 meters.

bought ARGTek 7dBi and manage to fly around 275 to 300 meters. (1.5.70+)

i'm using DJI GO on both iOS and Android. also try to use DJI Geo Beta app. result are the same.

today i update the firmware back to 1.6.80 from 1.5.70+, the update was success. but the whole process only take me less than 5 minutes. seems suspicious.

will try to fly the bird again tomorrow and i will give an update.

hope DJI will fix the problem soon.

would love to see what this thing can do when the firmware works properly.

cheers!

recently got back from test flight w/ 1.6.80 firmware + ARGTek 7 dBi + 2.8.3 DJI GO on iOS and also 2.8.1 on Android and 2.8.0 also on Android.

result - back to 20 to 30 meters lost signal. :D

guess there is no other option for me than to stay on 1.5.70+ until DJI release new firmware for P3S.

cheers! ;)

What are the GPS coördinates of your test flight? I'm interested to see where exactly you made this flight.

downgrade to 1.5.70+

do the test flight

manage to reach 165 meters or so without any problem at all.

try to push further but the juice is running low and had to land the bird.

cheers! ;)

Last edited:
I just updated mine yesterday .Newest Go App and 1.6.80 . No issues .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Now as I'm looking at these threads about the newest firmware I'm seeing a pattern I think. People in the US with FCC mode are not complaining as much as those using CE mode?? Love that video, but if it ever went down in that area you'd never find her.

Now as I'm looking at these threads about the newest firmware I'm seeing a pattern I think. People in the US with FCC mode are not complaining as much as those using CE mode?? Love that video, but if it ever went down in that area you'd never find her.
Thanks and beleave you are right about the CE mode .
Those place's I fly I have keys to all the gates and access so unless it's in a tree it's no issue .
And believe me I have had to go get em .:)

I am with @dirkclod on this. The previous versions for app and fw were awful where I had the exact same issues as everyone is mentioning. I was losing video about 250 feet. With 1.6.80 and 2.8.3, I am getting the best range I have ever had with it. I have had it to 1/2 mile with great video and rc reception. Check to make sure this is what is running on yours. I did notice that it looks like a newer fw will probably be out soon for the p3s since there is a new one for the pro and advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Same patten again, it seem like us in the US with FCC mode are doing fine with 1.6.8, including me. Just went out to 1000m for the first time w/1.6.8.

Same patten again, it seem like us in the US with FCC mode are doing fine with 1.6.8, including me. Just went out to 1000m for the first time w/1.6.8.
Latest AC firmware ?

I have a suspicion that prior to the update the older firmware wasn't enforcing the FCC/CE switch properly and is UK (and others) were enjoying the full potential of our purchases?

The new update just makes us realise that buying property doesn't mean you control it! Oh... EU again? I bet if you read the user agreement we don't even actually own our drones? [emoji6]

I have a suspicion that prior to the update the older firmware wasn't enforcing the FCC/CE switch properly and is UK (and others) were enjoying the full potential of our purchases?

The new update just makes us realise that buying property doesn't mean you control it! Oh... EU again? I bet if you read the user agreement we don't even actually own our drones? [emoji6]

I've read about hacks for such a fix, but being in the US I just moved on to a different thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers